Re: [taigtools] Crankshaft

  • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      You can do that kind of work on a Taig or Sherline.

      As far as cutting crankshafts, Kozo Hiraoka had a really nice two-page
      explanation of how to do this in his book, "Building the Shay". I'm
      guessing it's similar to how other people make them for IC engines.

      As far as grinding goes, Jerry Kieffer made a really neat camshaft
      grinding tool out of Sherline parts. I don't know for certain, but I'm
      guessing you could adapt the idea to crankshafts.

      Using Hiraoka's description and a toolpost grinder, my guess is you could
      do it on a stock lathe.

      Tom

    • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, n2562001 wrote:

        > It would be difficult at best to convert a lathe to a crankshaft
        > grinder. My cam grinder was designed to grind cams only. However after
        > much thought I have designed an attachment that will allow crankshaft
        > grinding. The attachment has not been completed or tested yet but should
        > not be a problem.

        Sounds like something to look forward to! I'm still puzzling over the
        pictures of your cam grinder. I'd love to see it in person.

        > By the way, how come I never seen you at the Estevan Model Engineering
        > Show last fall??

        I made the mistake of getting a job in Hawaii. The job's great, the
        location can't be beat, but I don't really make enough to travel that
        much. I'm still looking at that ever-elusive "I'll get to go some day"
        scheduling for the model engineering shows.

        Tom

        > > You can do that kind of work on a Taig or Sherline.
        > >
        > > As far as cutting crankshafts, Kozo Hiraoka had a really nice two-
        > page
        > > explanation of how to do this in his book, "Building the Shay".
        > I'm
        > > guessing it's similar to how other people make them for IC engines.
        > >
        > > As far as grinding goes, Jerry Kieffer made a really neat camshaft
        > > grinding tool out of Sherline parts. I don't know for certain,
        > but I'm
        > > guessing you could adapt the idea to crankshafts.
        > >
        > > Using Hiraoka's description and a toolpost grinder, my guess is
        > you could
        > > do it on a stock lathe.
        > >
        > > Tom
        > >
        > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, rchelicopter1967 wrote:
        > >
        > > > Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
        > > > crankshafts?

        > > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: taigtools-
        > unsubscribe@e...
        > > >

        > > > Let the chips fly!
        > > >
        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott A. Stephens
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          I'm going by memory on this one. But I belive in "Table top
          Machining" it shows a guy making a crankshaft on a Sherline mill. Though
          if my memory is right he was cutting it with a end mill and not grinding
          it. But grinding could be a latter step.

          I think you need to define how big a crankshaft you want.

          At 12:05 PM 4/2/2004, you wrote:
          >Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
          >crankshafts?

          >Let the chips fly!
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • n2562001
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
            It would be difficult at best to convert a lathe to a crankshaft
            grinder. My cam grinder was designed to grind cams only. However
            after much thought I have designed an attachment that will allow
            crankshaft grinding. The attachment has not been completed or tested
            yet but should not be a problem. By the way, how come I never seen
            you at the Estevan Model Engineering Show last fall??

            Jerry Kieffer

            > You can do that kind of work on a Taig or Sherline.
            >
            > As far as cutting crankshafts, Kozo Hiraoka had a really nice two-
            page
            > explanation of how to do this in his book, "Building the Shay".
            I'm
            > guessing it's similar to how other people make them for IC engines.
            >
            > As far as grinding goes, Jerry Kieffer made a really neat camshaft
            > grinding tool out of Sherline parts. I don't know for certain,
            but I'm
            > guessing you could adapt the idea to crankshafts.
            >
            > Using Hiraoka's description and a toolpost grinder, my guess is
            you could
            > do it on a stock lathe.
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, rchelicopter1967 wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone know what kind a lathe is needed for grinding
            > > crankshafts?

            > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: taigtools-
            unsubscribe@e...

            > > Let the chips fly!
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ronald_41
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2004
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon_heller@h...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              publications available from Lindsay Book's. I became of aware of a
              book on lathe work and what is possible with said lathe. There is a
              book called Practical Metal Turning by Joesph Horner, and in it there
              is a treatise on how to turn a multiple-throw crankshaft.
              I hope that this is of use to you or anyone else contemplating such
              an adventure.