Re: [taigtools] Rotary Table

  • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31 11:14 AM
      Little Machine Shop also sells a Morse to Taig adapter, but it's the wrong
      morse taper for what you've got.

      Tom

    • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 31 12:12 PM
        FWIW, Bonnie Klein uses Taig components for most of her spindle turning
        lathe. It always impresses me how many places I wind up seeing Taig lathe
        parts.

        My guess is if she's selling spindle adapters, it's designed to take Taig
        chucks.

        Tom

      • Eric Parsonage
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
            I think Bonnie Klein sells what you're looking for:

            #2 Taper with 3/4-16 Spindle for 28.35

            http://www.bonnieklein.com/BKOrderForm.htm

            Rob

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, benedict@h... wrote:
            > Little Machine Shop also sells a Morse to Taig adapter, but it's the
            wrong
            > morse taper for what you've got.
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Eric Parsonage wrote:
            >
            > > Pat
            > >
            > > This is probably a really crappy way of doing it but you could buy
            sherline part

            > > 1230
            > > #0 MORSE ARBOR TO 3/4-16 CHUCK THREAD ADAPTER (Allows a 3- or
            4-jaw chuck to be mounted on the tailstock spindle)

            > > Then get a MT2 to MT0 adaptor to sleeve the table down.
            > >
            > > I think there are some issues mounting a Taig chuck on a sherline
            spindle but I think there are well known ways around that.

            > > Anyway it is a solution that would use off the shelf parts
            > >
            > > Regards Eric

          • Patrick Okeeffe
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
              Excellent thanks....
              > I think Bonnie Klein sells what you're looking for:
              >
              > #2 Taper with 3/4-16 Spindle for 28.35
              >
              > http://www.bonnieklein.com/BKOrderForm.htm
              >
              > Rob
              >
              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, benedict@h... wrote:
              > > Little Machine Shop also sells a Morse to Taig adapter, but it's the
              > wrong
              > > morse taper for what you've got.
              > >
              > > Tom
              > >
              > > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Eric Parsonage wrote:
              > >
              > > > Pat
              > > >
              > > > This is probably a really crappy way of doing it but you could buy
              > sherline part
              > > >
              > > > 1230
              > > > #0 MORSE ARBOR TO 3/4-16 CHUCK THREAD ADAPTER (Allows a 3- or
              > 4-jaw chuck to be mounted on the tailstock spindle)
              > > >

              > > > Then get a MT2 to MT0 adaptor to sleeve the table down.
              > > >
              > > > I think there are some issues mounting a Taig chuck on a sherline
              > spindle but I think there are well known ways around that.
              > > >
              > > > Anyway it is a solution that would use off the shelf parts
              > > >
              > > > Regards Eric

            • Eric Parsonage
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                Hi all

                I just bought a Sherline cnc ready rotary table for my taig cnc mill. I have never used one of these before but my intent was to mount it vetically with a chuck to make model helicopter parts.

                I have a couple of questions concerning this.

                1. I was expecting there to be no detactable backlash (I thought I read this was the case with the Sherline Table but then perhaps I made that up in my mind) How much back lash should I expect ? am i expected to lock the table up between teeth ?

                2. If there is going to be back lash how does this effect say cutting a gear or engraving a knob ? or worse milling a number of large flat surfaces on the outside of pieces of bar ?

                Eric

              • n2562001
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                  Eric
                  If you look in the instructions under maintenance you will find
                  instructions for adjusting the back lash. On my cnc table the hand
                  wheel is divided into 50 divisions. I run my backlash about 1/2 of
                  one of those divisions. In use the program runs the table past the
                  stop point and then backs up to the stop point to remove all
                  backlash.

                  Jerry Kieffer

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                    At 03:22 29/07/2004, you wrote:
                    >Hi all
                    >
                    >I just bought a Sherline cnc ready rotary table for my taig cnc mill. I
                    >have never used one of these before but my intent was to mount it
                    >vetically with a chuck to make model helicopter parts.
                    >
                    >I have a couple of questions concerning this.
                    >
                    >1. I was expecting there to be no detactable backlash (I thought I read
                    >this was the case with the Sherline Table but then perhaps I made that up
                    >in my mind) How much back lash should I expect ? am i expected to lock the
                    >table up between teeth ?

                    The Sherline table has provision to adjust the backlash by adjusting the
                    engagement of the worm with the wheel. You should be able to adjust most of
                    it out. You will find that as you get closer to zero backlash, the torque
                    needed to turn the wheel will increase, so there is a tradeoff here between
                    backlash removal & the size of motor you will need to drive the table. In
                    practice (see below), you mostly don't need to adjust it all out.

                    >2. If there is going to be back lash how does this effect say cutting a
                    >gear or engraving a knob ? or worse milling a number of large flat
                    >surfaces on the outside of pieces of bar ?

                    How significant the backlash is depends on what you are doing. For example,
                    if you are cutting a 300T gear and you have 1/2 a degree of backlash at the
                    table, then you had better lock it down before you cut. I have successfully
                    cut clock gears on a setup with some (but not much) backlash without
                    bothering to lock the spindle before taking cuts.

                  • johnflintus
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 31, 2004
                      I am thinking of making a rotary table and am looking at the
                      vertical /horizantal question.
                      Am I right in thinking that with a CNC mill there is nothing that one
                      would need a vertically mounted rotary table for?
                      If I am right I am not solimited in the thickness of the base for a
                      horizantally mounted beast?
                      John
                    • benedict@hawaii.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 31, 2004
                        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, johnflintus wrote:

                        > I am thinking of making a rotary table and am looking at the
                        > vertical /horizantal question.
                        > Am I right in thinking that with a CNC mill there is nothing that one
                        > would need a vertically mounted rotary table for?
                        > If I am right I am not solimited in the thickness of the base for a
                        > horizantally mounted beast?

                        I'm guessing that by vertically mounted you mean having the rotary axis
                        pointing up.

                        I can think of at least one application where this would be of use. Take
                        a look at Tony Jeffree's clockmaking page off his main site. He engraved
                        a clock dial that was too large for his Taig mill. But by sticking the
                        thing on a rotary table he was able to essentially index it around. It
                        effectively increased the usable work envelope for the tool.

                        I could easily see using one as a work indexer for production work as
                        well. Index 90 degrees, and while that part is being worked on another
                        can be loaded while two are waiting in the wings. Granted, you could do
                        the same thing by getting the long-bed mill and using four work positions
                        on the bed. But it's an idea.

                        I don't know... As soon as I convince myself I don't need a particular
                        feature or ability, I wind up wishing I'd designed it into the tool or
                        part.

                        Tom
                      • Roy J. Tellason
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 31, 2004
                          On Tuesday 31 August 2004 02:11 pm, johnflintus wrote:
                          > I am thinking of making a rotary table and am looking at the
                          > vertical /horizantal question.

                          > Am I right in thinking that with a CNC mill there is nothing that one
                          > would need a vertically mounted rotary table for?

                          When you say vertically mounted are you referring to the table being vertical
                          and the axis of rotation then being horizontal? If so I can think of a lot
                          of things that would be useful for, particularly if you can accurately index
                          the rotation...

                          If that's the other way around then never mind.
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 31, 2004
                            At 19:11 31/08/2004, johnflintus wrote:
                            >I am thinking of making a rotary table and am looking at the
                            >vertical /horizantal question.
                            >Am I right in thinking that with a CNC mill there is nothing that one
                            >would need a vertically mounted rotary table for?
                            >If I am right I am not solimited in the thickness of the base for a
                            >horizantally mounted beast?
                            >John

                            I have a CNC mill, and have used rotary tables/dividing heads with rotary
                            axes both vertical and horizontal. For an example of using a vertical
                            rotary axis see:

                            http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/Chapter-ring.html

                            At the time, I only had a CNC-ed dividing head; it would have been a lot
                            easier with a rotary table that could have been mounted with the table
                            horizontal (i.e., with its rotary axis vertical).

                            So no, in my book, you are not right! But of course, your mileage may vary...

                          • Richard
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Take a moment to look at the Gingery dividing head, it allows use as
                              both a rotary table and a DH. I haven't done it but believe it
                              could be homebuilt without the need for castings. Of course there are
                              others as well. Richard