Re: [taigtools] taig leadscrew & crossfeed creep

  • Hubert
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2000
      I use those real big paper clip 'bull-dogs' clamping the dail, it seems to work
      really well

      Hubert

      Tony Jeffree wrote:

      > At 11:11 01/10/00 +0000, you wrote:
      > >Several months ago, In response to a question of mine, I recall someone
      > >mentioning that the TAIG factory was developing a leadscrew retro-fit
      > >based on a wormgear and square driveshaft driving a modified carraige
      > >wheel. Is this still going to happen? If so, When?
      >
      > Nick Carter may be able to shed light on this...certainly didn't see much
      > sign of it on my visit to Taig a couple of weeks back.
      >
      > > One last question. how do you stop the "creep" found on both the
      > > carraige and cross feeds? all help is appriciated, greg p.s. love the
      > > lathe!
      >
      > Use the wing nut (on the far edge of the carriage) to lock the carriage, or
      > use the middle socket head screw on the cross slide to lock the slide.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Tony

    • Greg Pay
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
        Several months ago, In response to a question of mine, I recall someone mentioning that the TAIG factory was developing a leadscrew retro-fit based on a wormgear and square driveshaft driving a modified carraige wheel. Is this still going to happen? If so, When? One last question. how do you stop the "creep" found on both the carraige and cross feeds? all help is appriciated, greg p.s. love the lathe!
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
            > At 11:11 01/10/00 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Several months ago, In response to a question of mine, I recall someone
            > >mentioning that the TAIG factory was developing a leadscrew retro-fit
            > >based on a wormgear and square driveshaft driving a modified carraige
            > >wheel. Is this still going to happen? If so, When?
            >
            > Nick Carter may be able to shed light on this...certainly didn't see much
            > sign of it on my visit to Taig a couple of weeks back.
            The folks at Taig are having so much to do with the new mill upgrades that
            it's safe to assume that all projects other than the mill are on the back
            burner.
          • Eric
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2000
              An idea,

              If you drilled 2 holes on the inside surface of the crossfeed dial
              opposite each other, inserted a small spring and a ball bearing on
              top of it. The ball bearings would ride against the plate instead of
              the dial itself and apply a constant smooth "friction" and eliminate
              the creep.

              Just a thought,

              Eric