Re: TWO Parallel Lathes - Bolt Hex Nut PATTERN Thread Cutting?

  • e3pi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
      I like that Rob - that's a nice general threading trick.
      Something must be "frustrating" as why isn't it popular?
      Or perhaps it is, I'm new at this.

      I'm still questing justifying two of these lathes -
      pantagraph copier sounds like a direction, but right
      now I'm puzzled what to do with even
      elementary geometry's parallel rules.

      ty

      e3pi

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Tsou" <motodog1991@y...> wrote:
      > That took me a minute to get but I see what you're getting at. I
      > don't remember where I saw it but you don't need two lathes to
      > accomplish this. You can attach the threaded rod (bolt) to the
      pulley
      > end of the spindle so it spins with the chuck/material. Put the nut
      > on the bolt. Have the nut push an arm that's guided on a rod
      parallel
      > to the bed of the lathe that has an arm a fixed distance away that
      can
      > push the carriage. As the nut is driven on the bolt, the arm drives
      > the carriage, the RPM is the same and the threads cut will be the
      same
      > as the bolt mounted on the end of the shaft. It seems to me that
      > there was some way you could cut left handed threads with a similar
      > arrangement using a RH thread bolt too. Maybe someone else will
      remember.

      > I hope that makes sense,
      >
      > Rob
      >
      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "e3pi" <e3pi@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Given ARBITRARY bolt and its hex nut-
      > >
      > > a general clamp to arbitrary size hex nut riding on bolt
      > >
      > > clamp linked to saddle/slide on first lathe
      > >
      > > 1st lathe saddle linked to saddle of
      > > second parallel lathe at same matched
      > > pulley diameter speed
      > >
      > > second lathe tool post cuts threads?
      > >

      > > ??

    • Eric Parsonage
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
        This is near enougth the way the unimat 3 threading system works but using one lathe.

        I like that Rob - that's a nice general threading trick.
        Something must be "frustrating" as why isn't it popular?
        Or perhaps it is, I'm new at this.

        I'm still questing justifying two of these lathes -
        pantagraph copier sounds like a direction, but right
        now I'm puzzled what to do with even
        elementary geometry's parallel rules.

        ty

        e3pi

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Tsou" <motodog1991@y...> wrote:
        > That took me a minute to get but I see what you're getting at. I
        > don't remember where I saw it but you don't need two lathes to
        > accomplish this. You can attach the threaded rod (bolt) to the
        pulley
        > end of the spindle so it spins with the chuck/material. Put the nut
        > on the bolt. Have the nut push an arm that's guided on a rod
        parallel
        > to the bed of the lathe that has an arm a fixed distance away that
        can
        > push the carriage. As the nut is driven on the bolt, the arm drives
        > the carriage, the RPM is the same and the threads cut will be the
        same
        > as the bolt mounted on the end of the shaft. It seems to me that
        > there was some way you could cut left handed threads with a similar
        > arrangement using a RH thread bolt too. Maybe someone else will
        remember.

        > I hope that makes sense,
        >
        > Rob
        >
        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "e3pi" <e3pi@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Given ARBITRARY bolt and its hex nut-
        > >
        > > a general clamp to arbitrary size hex nut riding on bolt
        > >
        > > clamp linked to saddle/slide on first lathe
        > >
        > > 1st lathe saddle linked to saddle of
        > > second parallel lathe at same matched
        > > pulley diameter speed
        > >
        > > second lathe tool post cuts threads?
        > >

        > > ??

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • kdbto
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
          Sorry to get into this so late but I think what you are talking about
          is something John Bentley ( Engineman of the group) has on his
          website.

          http://www.jrbentley.com/taig_thread_stitch.JPG

          http://users.eastlink.ca/~jbentley/workshop.html

          All the best