archive of the news group messages

  • serv4volley
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
      Nick,

      I wonder if you can send a copy of the archive to
      archives@...

      so that people can downlaod and read/search the archive offline.

      Thanks.
      ym
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
        I have no idea how to do this - the yahoogroups don't seem to have a method
        of exporting the archives.
        If anyone knows, let me know....
        Nick, el moderator.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        > I wonder if you can send a copy of the archive to
        > archives@...
        >
        > so that people can downlaod and read/search the archive offline.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > ym
      • Dave Hylands
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
          There is a tool called PG Offline
          http://www.personalgroupware.com/index.htm

          I haven't used it myself (I read via email), but I've heard others have
          favorable comments about it.

          --
          Dave Hylands
          Vancouver, BC, Canada

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
            Since we are on the subject of searching, is there any way to search
            through an entire taigtools group? Yahoo seems to limit my searches to
            only the last few hundred messages or so, and google doesn't seem to
            index the messages from this group very well - they index *some* but
            not all.

            It's quite frustrating - I remember reading a discussion on steppers,
            torque, etc. on this group, so I made a mental note of that. I knew
            I'd be interested in that later. Now, when I am finally interested, I
            can't find that discussion anymore because it was several months ago,
            and yahoo doesn't seem to let me search that far back :(

            Vlad

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "serv4volley" <news@w...> wrote:
            > Nick,
            >
            > I wonder if you can send a copy of the archive to
            > archives@p...
            >
            > so that people can downlaod and read/search the archive offline.
            >
            > Thanks.
            > ym
          • Art
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
              Vlad

              Enter your search description and click on "search archive"
              to come up with the latest post containing your text. Then click on
              "next" to go back through the earlier pages.
              Some of the pages will come up with no hits, but just keep clicking
              on "next" until you find the post or item that you are
              looking for.
              Everything is still there back to post number 1 from 3/26/2000.

              Art

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
                Looking at that page it seems that if people want to download the archives
                together it is much faster.
                I have no time myself, but it would be cool if someone would oversee this
                project....
                felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
                http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

                > I haven't used it myself (I read via email), but I've heard others have
                > favorable comments about it.
                >
                > --
                > Dave Hylands
                > Vancouver, BC, Canada
                > http://www.DaveHylands.com/

              • Tom Benedict
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
                  Anyone else here store their mail?

                  I've got an almost complete mbox format archive of the Taig list. I know
                  I've got some holes, and I didn't always store blatantly off-topic posts
                  ("These girls are HOT HOT HOT!" to which I responded, "Then start using
                  coolant you fool! You're gonna get terrible surface finish!) But the
                  bulk of it is there. If someone else stores theirs, my guess is all the
                  holes could be filled in.

                  Tom

                  On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, vks_generic wrote:

                  > Since we are on the subject of searching, is there any way to search
                  > through an entire taigtools group? Yahoo seems to limit my searches to
                  > only the last few hundred messages or so, and google doesn't seem to
                  > index the messages from this group very well - they index *some* but
                  > not all.
                  >
                  > It's quite frustrating - I remember reading a discussion on steppers,
                  > torque, etc. on this group, so I made a mental note of that. I knew
                  > I'd be interested in that later. Now, when I am finally interested, I
                  > can't find that discussion anymore because it was several months ago,
                  > and yahoo doesn't seem to let me search that far back :(
                  >

                  > Vlad
                  >
                  > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "serv4volley" <news@w...> wrote:
                  > > Nick,
                  > >
                  > > I wonder if you can send a copy of the archive to
                  > > archives@p...
                  > >
                  > > so that people can downlaod and read/search the archive offline.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  > > ym

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • evildrome_boozerama
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 7, 2004
                    Hi Vlad,

                    > I remember reading a discussion on steppers,
                    > torque, etc. on this group, so I made a mental note of that. I knew
                    > I'd be interested in that later. Now, when I am finally interested,
                    > I can't find that discussion anymore

                    I think you want messages 6707 - 6711. 9868, 9884 & 10040 would also
                    be of interest. I know this because, last night, I downloaded all the
                    taigtools messages with a groups reader/archiver program called PG
                    Offline (which incidentally, I created). Then I searched the archive
                    using "stepper" AND "torque" as search terms. I got about 80 hits.

                    I will make the archive freely available on the downloads page of
                    the PG offline site if I get permission from the group owner.

                    http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm

                    On a personal note, I dont have a Taig but I am a member of a few
                    lathe groups as I find a lot of the discussions applicable to all
                    lathes, including mine which I aquired sadly due to the death of an
                    aquaintance.

                    http://www.wilsonlogan.com/legacy01.htm

                    PG Offline allows searching across multiple groups so I could have
                    ran the "stepper" AND "torque" search simultaneously across
                    taigtools, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO, lathe_list, 7X10minilathe, etc.
                    Worthwhile if you have an obscure question.

                    Cheers,

                    Wilson Logan.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2004
                      You have permission and many thanks.
                      Nick (the moderator)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 7, 2004
                        Hi All,

                        My name is Wilson Logan & I'm the creator of a Yahoo group
                        reader/archiver called 'PG Offline'. I know some of you are using
                        this utility to read & archive Taigtools. With the group moderators
                        permission I have downloaded & archived it here:

                        http://www.pgoffline.com/groupmanager/taigtools.zip

                        The file is about 8Mb. You can download the PG Offline program here:

                        http://www.pgoffline.com/groupmanager/PGOffline-2-0-160.exe

                        and you can find a tutorial on how to use it (including how to import
                        the archive file) here:

                        http://www.pgoffline.com/info.htm

                        The archive files of some other groups (inc. Taigtools) are available
                        here:

                        http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm

                        The program is shareware. It has a 30 day trial. If you don't
                        want to buy it after that, you still have the archive file which is
                        in standard MS Access format. If you have any questions my email
                        address is wilson.logan (at) ntlworld.com

                        I hope you'll find the program & archive usefull.

                        Cheers,

                        Wilson.
                      • Larry Richter
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 7, 2004
                          For some reason the name of your program is popping up a lot this week. I'm
                          in other Yahoo Groups mailing lists that have held discussions hosted by
                          other servers prior to One List and Yahoo. Any chance that the present
                          archives and the earlier e-mail records in whatever mail formats were
                          bundled with old explorer and netscape versions can be consolidated, and be
                          searchable?

                          > My name is Wilson Logan & I'm the creator of a Yahoo group
                          > reader/archiver called 'PG Offline'. I know some of you are using
                          > this utility to read & archive Taigtools. With the group moderators
                          > permission I have downloaded & archived it here:
                          >
                          > http://www.pgoffline.com/groupmanager/taigtools.zip
                          >

                          > The file is about 8Mb. You can download the PG Offline program here:
                          >
                          > http://www.pgoffline.com/groupmanager/PGOffline-2-0-160.exe
                          >

                          > and you can find a tutorial on how to use it (including how to import
                          > the archive file) here:
                          >
                          > http://www.pgoffline.com/info.htm
                          >

                          > The archive files of some other groups (inc. Taigtools) are available
                          > here:
                          >
                          > http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm
                          >

                          > The program is shareware. It has a 30 day trial. If you don't
                          > want to buy it after that, you still have the archive file which is
                          > in standard MS Access format. If you have any questions my email
                          > address is wilson.logan (at) ntlworld.com
                          >
                          > I hope you'll find the program & archive usefull.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Wilson.
                        • Wilson Logan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Larry,

                            >I'm in other Yahoo Groups mailing lists that have held discussions
                            hosted by other servers prior to One List and Yahoo.

                            I have written a program to capture messages into PG Offline from saved
                            HTML pages. Doing it from a mailbox may prove easier but it has other
                            problems. Please contact me personally to discuss the nitty gritty of
                            your requirements.