Re: Puzzle Plans?

  • Lynn Livingston
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Goodfellow" <davegood@g...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone know where I might find plans for a puzzle in which
      you put
      > a number of interlocking pieces together to form a cube? I'd like
      > make one out of metal.
      >
      > Or any ideas for other projects (not tooling)? I've sort of run
      out of
      > steam on steam engines (pun intended). I completed one (#14, I
      think)
      > today, and it's time to change direction for a while. If anyone is
      > interested, it's a 2-cylindeer wobbler with the flywheel mounted
      between
      > them on a split frame -- 1" bore, 3/4" stroke. Pictures and
      writeup at
      > --
      >
      > http://www.good-fellow.net/doublewobbler.html
      >
      > Dave Goodfellow
      > Lancaster, CA
      > www.good-fellow.net
      > "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

      Dave,
      Here are some more ideas:
      http://www.bitsandpieces.com/product.asp?dept_id=2&sku=07-7070
      http://www.maxton.com/max5.html (click on the puzzles to see them
      dissasembled)
      http://home.compaqnet.nl/~kalde063/puzzels/menus/list/eng.htm (click
      on the puzzles for hints on how tho make them)
      Also, doing a Google search for 3-D puzzles brings up some
      interesting ideas.

      Lynn Livingston
    • Lynn Livingston
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
        wrote:
        > Hi Lynn:
        >
        > A wrist pin goes in the piston of a more complex engine -- a mill
        > engine, which uses a different valving method. Both types of
        engine
        > were actually used. The mill engine requires timing of the
        valve. With
        > this engine, timing is built into the frame with positioning of the
        > steam ports. The cylinder has to pivot to open one port while
        closing
        > the other.
        >
        > The mill engine is more efficient than this one, because it
        doesn't have
        > to deal with the friction between the cylinder and the frame.
        >
        > I't late and I'm pooped out. Did I make myself clear or was that
        > gibberish?
        >
        > Thanks for the link. I have four now. After I study those urls,
        maybe
        > I'll have a start.
        >
        > Dave Goodfellow

        I think I've got it now. I understand that if the cylinder didn't
        pivot, then a more complicated way to valve the cylinder would have
        to come into play. I think I remember that 2 cycle engines have some
        sort of opposed cylinder ports, or something like that. But I just
        remembered they use reed valves on the intake to restrict the
        exhaust I think.
        Oh well, thanks for the explanation! Good luck on the puzzles.

        Lynn Livinston
      • Dave Goodfellow
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2004
          Thanks to all who sent me URLs for burr puzzles. It will take me a year
          to go through them all. <g> I appreciate it.
          Dave Goodfellow
        • Tom Benedict
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
            Lindsay has a book called something like "Wonders in Wood". I was going
            to use some of the ideas in there to make some interlocking metal puzzles.
            Some of them are way more complicated than anything I've seen in novelty
            stores. Lotsa cool stuff.

            Tom

            On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Dave Goodfellow wrote:

            > Does anyone know where I might find plans for a puzzle in which you put
            > a number of interlocking pieces together to form a cube? I'd like to
            > make one out of metal.
            >
            > Or any ideas for other projects (not tooling)? I've sort of run out of
            > steam on steam engines (pun intended). I completed one (#14, I think)
            > today, and it's time to change direction for a while. If anyone is
            > interested, it's a 2-cylindeer wobbler with the flywheel mounted between
            > them on a split frame -- 1" bore, 3/4" stroke. Pictures and writeup at
            > --
            >
            > http://www.good-fellow.net/doublewobbler.html
            >
            > Dave Goodfellow
            > Lancaster, CA
            > www.good-fellow.net
            > "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • David Goodfellow
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
              Thanks Tom, I'll see if I can find it.
              Dave

              Lindsay has a book called something like "Wonders in Wood". I was going
              to use some of the ideas in there to make some interlocking metal puzzles.
              Some of them are way more complicated than anything I've seen in novelty
              stores. Lotsa cool stuff.

              Tom

              On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Dave Goodfellow wrote:

              > Does anyone know where I might find plans for a puzzle in which you put
              > a number of interlocking pieces together to form a cube? I'd like to
              > make one out of metal.
              >
              > Or any ideas for other projects (not tooling)? I've sort of run out of
              > steam on steam engines (pun intended). I completed one (#14, I think)
              > today, and it's time to change direction for a while. If anyone is
              > interested, it's a 2-cylindeer wobbler with the flywheel mounted between
              > them on a split frame -- 1" bore, 3/4" stroke. Pictures and writeup at
              > --
              >
              > http://www.good-fellow.net/doublewobbler.html
              >
              > Dave Goodfellow
              > Lancaster, CA
              > www.good-fellow.net
              > "No problem too small to baffle this expert"

            • Del Stanton
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
                I have a friend that made a Rubik's Cube out of brass. The individual
                blocks were about 1/4 inch (6 mm) square and it worked so smoothly ! He did
                it on a manual Sherline Mill.

                I suppose he disassembled one of the plastic ones to dtermine how to make
                it.

                Del Stanton

                Wannabee Taig CNC Mill Owner

                Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
              • Peter Homann
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2004
                  That's my sort of Rubik's Cube. Even I could get each side to be the same
                  colour. :-)

                  I'd be interested in seeing the internals. I guess the squares for each side
                  were engraved with a different symbol?

                  Cheers,

                  Peter Homann
                  mailto:Peter.Homann@...
                  Adacel Technologies Limited,
                  250 Bay St, BRIGHTON, 3186, AUSTRALIA
                  http://www.adacel.com <http://www.adacel.com>
                  Telephone +61 (3) 8530 7777, Facsimile +61 (3) 9596 2960
                  Mobile 0421-601 665