Speed Rates.

  • Aahz.
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 2, 2004
      I am still very new to milling and I am looking at the Speed and
      Feed rates we have in the files section but I really don't know how to
      translate the information there into G Code. Can anyone give me a hand?

      Aahz.
    • Ed Chesnut
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2004
        I just checked the measurement from bottom of tool post to bottom of
        tool slot on my collection of Taig tool posts. For 6 of the 8 tool
        posts the measurement was 1.000" plus/minus 0.004". The remaining
        two were 0.990". What is the measurement on your tool post? Is the
        gold anodizing still there on the bottom end of the tool post? If
        not, it is likely the tool post was shortened for some reason.

        Is the cutting edge of the tool near the top surface of the tool?
        If the tool is ground such that the cutting edge is half way "down"
        the end of the tool, bingo - it will be about 1/8" too low when
        mounted in a stock tool post.

        I realize you asked for photos, but if:
        1) the head stock of the lathe has not been modified, and
        2) the carriage/cross slide has not been modified, then

        3) the tool post is too short, OR
        4) the tool is ground "funny".

        Seems like it would be pretty easy to measure the tool post
        and "eyeball" the tool.(?)
        Ed
      • Art
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2004
          >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <Chet@t...> wrote:
          > Lets try this....can someone send me some pix with the stock setup
          >(IE- lathe with a 3/4" or so round stock stickiing out with the tool
          >post holding different blades), different blades like a RH or LH
          >cutter lined up at center? This might help quite a bit. Thanks again

          Ryan
          I put a pic in the photos area showing a pointed work piece in the
          chuck, lined up with a 1/4" toolbit in the tool holder, turned on an
          angle that shows the tool cutting edge height in relation to the
          centre of the work. The slide on the pocket ruler standing in front
          of the toolpost is set at 1". It required a .035 shim (blade from
          feeler gauge shown) under the tool bit to set it at the correct
          height. Hope that I haven't added to the confusion.
          Art
        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2, 2004
            Thanks. If that were mine (which I will add a pic in a minute) the point would be almost 1/8" below where yours is.

          • wanliker@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2004
              In a message dated 1/3/2004 9:25:56 AM Mountain Standard Time,
              taigtools@yahoogroups.com writes:
              Cut them from whatever you have to hand that
              is of a suitable thickness - you can buy purpose made "shim stock" but that
              Cheap feeler gauge sets work well also.
              bill
              CCED

            • vks_generic
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 3, 2004
                I went ahead and got a feeler gauge set, which set me back about $3 (I
                think, this one:
                http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G5724), took it
                apart and used for shims. Makes plenty of shims, and, as a bonus, they
                are already labeled for you, so you know what thickness they are.

                Not as cheap as an empty coke can, but I think it was really worth the $3.

                Vlad

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <Chet@t...> wrote:
                > What type of "shims" should I use? Home made ones? They should be
                the same diameter (for a square tool holder) as the tool holder? What
                material should they be? Thanks

                Service.

              • vks_generic
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Duh! Ignore me, please. I woke up too late and decided to catch up on
                  the taig list... I even decided to be helpful, and answered a question
                  that... has been already answered by 10 other people! Need to go have
                  some coffee first, I guess.

                  Vlad

                • Robin S.
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 3, 2004
                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Aahz." <erickkilmer@c...> wrote:
                    > I am still very new to milling and I am looking at the Speed
                    and
                    > Feed rates we have in the files section but I really don't know
                    how to
                    > translate the information there into G Code. Can anyone give me a
                    hand?

                    > Aahz.

                    Typically, your spindle speed is expressed as: S5000
                    (5000 RPM)

                    And your feed rate is expressed as: F13
                    (13 inches per minute or 13mm per minute)

                    You can define either number in virutally any line I believe
                    although you need to define the spindle speed when you turn the
                    spindle on with, IIRC, an M03. Also, you need to define your feed in
                    the first feed line (usually starting with G01, G02 or G03). You can
                    change these values throughout your program as required.

                    Of course, the Taig (in a stock configuration) is not capable of
                    changing its own speed, so that may not be an issue..

                    Regards,

                    Robin
                  • Dave Goodfellow
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 16, 2004
                      test
                    • Richard
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004
                        I am receiving you 5x5 but you are not saying much >G>.

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Goodfellow" <davegood@g...>
                        wrote:
                        > test
                      • David Goodfellow
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 19, 2004
                          Thanks Richard. I had a problem, but it's ok now.
                          Dave