Re: boring bar holder

  • Mitch Singler
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
      Snobbish??? How about being judgemental? What difference does it make if
      someone wants to make or buy a tool? It probably boils down to an issue of
      time vs. money vs. resources, ect. What if you found a great deal on a tool?
      wouldn't make you a snob. I thought this group was more about exchanging
      ideas, not trying to start flame war. My posting doesn't mean I'm trying to get
      involved in one either.
      Keep checking the group, it's full of great ideas. It's certainly been a huge help
      to me. Have a happy new year.

      Regards,
      Mitchell

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <t2b1r3@y...> wrote:
      > >-- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Radish" <radish1us@y...> wrote:
      > > > I need to bore into a 1/4" hole about 2 inches deep, it's wood.
      > > > If I could find a hss bar that would do this I'd buy it.
      > >
      > > > Joe
      > > >
      > > Why not go and by a piece of DRILL ROD that is 1/4" and then heat
      > >one
      > > end to cherry red and then smack the red bit with a hammer. You
      > >will
      > > now have a bit of a flattened end on the drill rod. Go and grind
      > > this end to workable tip for internal boring, you now have a BORING
      > > bar which will do the job for you, in timber real easy, in metal
      > >you
      > > will need lots of fine passes, but it will get the job done.
      > > If you think that the 1/4" drill rod is too thick, get a smaller
      > > drill rod bar and go for it.
      > > Been lurking around this site for a while and am completely
      > >baffled
      > > by the way a lot of people at this site, want to buy there tooling
      > > instead of attempting to make there own. What is it with you lot,
      > > more money than brains or are you lot with Taig lathes a bunch of
      > > snobs.
      > > Am going to turn my 'puter off for a few days and let you lot cool
      > > down a bit now.
      > >
      > > radish
      >
      > Wow Radish - Santa must have left a lump of coal in your stocking!
      >
      > I sense that this group and others like it consist of a variety of
      > people, from those for whom a lathe and its tooling is their hobby,
      > to those whose hobby requires a lathe, as well as those of us that
      > fall somewhere between the two. The creativity and pride of
      > workmanship on these groups, as well as the helpfulness of those who
      > have "been there - done that" is second to none. It has nothing to do
      > with rich or poor - experienced or newby, everyone is treated as an
      > equal. The key for those, who like yourself, have the experience, is
      > to offer options rather than criticism, so we all benefit from the
      > post. Oh! by the way - the closest I've seen to a snobish post is ...
      > oh well I'm sure that you will be back to your usual helpful self in
      > the next day or two. Happy New Year!
      > Art.
      > Happy New Year All !!
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
        You are 100% correct Mitchell.I know I don't have the time to make all my tools and will make one when I'm good and ready.It's great to learn just what is available on the market that does a good job.There is a lot of junky stuff that you can waste money on and if I learn about it here all the better<g>This is a great group and wonderfull members in my opinion.
        "Taig" Team
        Tom Munroe
        http://users.auracom.com/ORIONLX200/index.htm

        Snobbish??? How about being judgemental? What difference does it make if
        someone wants to make or buy a tool? It probably boils down to an issue of
        time vs. money vs. resources, ect. What if you found a great deal on a tool?
        wouldn't make you a snob. I thought this group was more about exchanging
        ideas, not trying to start flame war. My posting doesn't mean I'm trying to get
        involved in one either.
        Keep checking the group, it's full of great ideas. It's certainly been a huge help
        to me. Have a happy new year.

        Regards,
        Mitchell

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Art" <t2b1r3@y...> wrote:
        > >-- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Radish" <radish1us@y...> wrote:
        > > > I need to bore into a 1/4" hole about 2 inches deep, it's wood.
        > > > If I could find a hss bar that would do this I'd buy it.
        > >
        > > > Joe
        > > >
        > > Why not go and by a piece of DRILL ROD that is 1/4" and then heat
        > >one
        > > end to cherry red and then smack the red bit with a hammer. You
        > >will
        > > now have a bit of a flattened end on the drill rod. Go and grind
        > > this end to workable tip for internal boring, you now have a BORING
        > > bar which will do the job for you, in timber real easy, in metal
        > >you
        > > will need lots of fine passes, but it will get the job done.
        > > If you think that the 1/4" drill rod is too thick, get a smaller
        > > drill rod bar and go for it.
        > > Been lurking around this site for a while and am completely
        > >baffled
        > > by the way a lot of people at this site, want to buy there tooling
        > > instead of attempting to make there own. What is it with you lot,
        > > more money than brains or are you lot with Taig lathes a bunch of
        > > snobs.
        > > Am going to turn my 'puter off for a few days and let you lot cool
        > > down a bit now.
        > >
        > > radish
        >
        > Wow Radish - Santa must have left a lump of coal in your stocking!
        >
        > I sense that this group and others like it consist of a variety of
        > people, from those for whom a lathe and its tooling is their hobby,
        > to those whose hobby requires a lathe, as well as those of us that
        > fall somewhere between the two. The creativity and pride of
        > workmanship on these groups, as well as the helpfulness of those who
        > have "been there - done that" is second to none. It has nothing to do
        > with rich or poor - experienced or newby, everyone is treated as an
        > equal. The key for those, who like yourself, have the experience, is
        > to offer options rather than criticism, so we all benefit from the
        > post. Oh! by the way - the closest I've seen to a snobish post is ...
        > oh well I'm sure that you will be back to your usual helpful self in
        > the next day or two. Happy New Year!
        > Art.
        > Happy New Year All !!

      • Stan Stocker
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
          Hi Mitchell,

          I thought about firing one back also, but decided it was better not to
          feed the trolls. I sure don't recall him having anything to say until
          this one post.

          Happy New Year,
          Stan

          Mitch Singler wrote:
          > Snobbish??? How about being judgemental? What difference does it make if
          > someone wants to make or buy a tool? It probably boils down to an issue of
          > time vs. money vs. resources, ect. What if you found a great deal on a tool?
          > wouldn't make you a snob. I thought this group was more about exchanging
          > ideas, not trying to start flame war. My posting doesn't mean I'm trying to get
          > involved in one either.
          > Keep checking the group, it's full of great ideas. It's certainly been a huge help
          > to me. Have a happy new year.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mitchell

        • Mitch Singler
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
            Hi Stan,

            Your right. Responding back probably just keeps it rolling along......
            On another note.

            I'm looking to buy a rotary table soon. Has anyone out there used
            anything other than the Sherline table? I'm looking for a cheaper
            alternative, but the same size. If none of the imports are worth
            having, then I'll just get the Sherline one. But I wanted to get some
            opinions first.
            Thanks for any advice.

            Regards,
            Mitchell

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@a...> wrote:
            > Hi Mitchell,
            >
            > I thought about firing one back also, but decided it was better not to
            > feed the trolls. I sure don't recall him having anything to say until
            > this one post.
            >
            > Happy New Year,
            > Stan
            >
            > Mitch Singler wrote:
            > > Snobbish??? How about being judgemental? What difference does it
            make if
            > > someone wants to make or buy a tool? It probably boils down to an
            issue of
            > > time vs. money vs. resources, ect. What if you found a great deal
            on a tool?
            > > wouldn't make you a snob. I thought this group was more about
            exchanging
            > > ideas, not trying to start flame war. My posting doesn't mean I'm
            trying to get
            > > involved in one either.
            > > Keep checking the group, it's full of great ideas. It's certainly
            been a huge help
            > > to me. Have a happy new year.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Mitchell

          • David Robertson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
              Mitchell,

              I've used the 4" rotary table from lathemaster.com. it is around $100 with
              a set of index plates included. It is made in India and has some of the
              rough spots that Indian Tools usually have. I use it to drill index plates
              for cutting clock wheels. It does fine for this purpose. I disassembled and
              cleaned and lubed before I used it and it does fine. Harbor Freight has a
              similar one for around $80 but it doesn't have index plates with it.
              Dave Robertson

              At 10:32 AM 1/1/2004, you wrote:
              >Hi Stan,
              >
              >Your right. Responding back probably just keeps it rolling along......
              >On another note.
              >
              > I'm looking to buy a rotary table soon. Has anyone out there used
              >anything other than the Sherline table? I'm looking for a cheaper
              >alternative, but the same size. If none of the imports are worth
              >having, then I'll just get the Sherline one. But I wanted to get some
              > opinions first.
              >Thanks for any advice.
              >
              >Regards,
              >Mitchell
            • Mitch Singler
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
                Thank you David,

                I appreciate your opinion. I'll check out lathemaster, it sounds like
                a suitable one for me. The addition of index plates, makes it a more
                attractive deal.

                Regards,
                Mitchell

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, David Robertson <davidr@t...> wrote:
                > Mitchell,
                >
                > I've used the 4" rotary table from lathemaster.com. it is around
                $100 with
                > a set of index plates included. It is made in India and has some of the
                > rough spots that Indian Tools usually have. I use it to drill index
                plates
                > for cutting clock wheels. It does fine for this purpose. I
                disassembled and
                > cleaned and lubed before I used it and it does fine. Harbor Freight
                has a
                > similar one for around $80 but it doesn't have index plates with it.
                > Dave Robertson
                >

                > At 10:32 AM 1/1/2004, you wrote:
                > >Hi Stan,
                > >
                > >Your right. Responding back probably just keeps it rolling along......
                > >On another note.
                > >
                > > I'm looking to buy a rotary table soon. Has anyone out there used
                > >anything other than the Sherline table? I'm looking for a cheaper
                > >alternative, but the same size. If none of the imports are worth
                > >having, then I'll just get the Sherline one. But I wanted to get some
                > > opinions first.
                > >Thanks for any advice.
                > >
                > >Regards,
                > >Mitchell
              • Dave Goodfellow
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 10, 2004
                  I needed a quick project for a birthday gift to a 9-year-old friend of
                  mine. He's been fascinated with my steam engines, so I built one for
                  him. It's a single-acting wobbler with a half-inch bore and stroke. I
                  can (barely) keep it running on lung power. His lungs are 60 years
                  younger than mine, so he should have no problem. It goes in the mail
                  Monday, just in time.

                  This is strictly a beginner project, and can be built on a lathe as
                  small as a Taig or Sherline. I used a mill to face the otherwise round
                  cylinder block, but if a builder used a rectangular block instead he/she
                  could do the job with a lathe and a drill.

                  A writeup, photos and plans can be found at --

                  www.good-fellow.net/handheld.html

                  The documentation took longer than the building.