Craftsman drill press, was RE: [taigtools] Re: milling large volumes

  • Carol & Jerry Jankura
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi, Vlad:

      > I toyed with the idea of modifying the arbor so it could accept
      > anything that has a 3/4-16 thread, essentially making it into a cheap
      > mill, but the accuracy of Z-axis would be horrible - plus/minus
      > something like .2" and it is not rigid with respect to side-to-side
      > forces either. At least, that's what I found to be true with my
      > craftsman drillpress.

      A total accuracy of four hundred thousanths is almost half an inch. How did
      you make this determination? Or, perhaps, you meant only +/- twenty
      thousanths (0.02).

      -- Jerry
    • vks_generic
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Carol & Jerry Jankura"
        <jerry.jankura@s...> wrote:
        > Hi, Vlad:
        >
        > > I toyed with the idea of modifying the arbor so it could accept
        > > anything that has a 3/4-16 thread, essentially making it into a cheap
        > > mill, but the accuracy of Z-axis would be horrible - plus/minus
        > > something like .2" and it is not rigid with respect to side-to-side
        > > forces either. At least, that's what I found to be true with my
        > > craftsman drillpress.
        >
        > A total accuracy of four hundred thousanths is almost half an inch.
        How did
        > you make this determination? Or, perhaps, you meant only +/- twenty
        > thousanths (0.02).

        well, I meant +/- .1 - together making up .2

        I really just eyed it, I didn't measure it with any instruments. There
        are two things that contribute to the drill press being that loose -
        one is that the bearing has plenty of lateral movement (you can move
        it by a few hundredth by just applying hand pressure to the chuck in X
        or Y direction), and also the column axis deviates from true vertical,
        especially as you lower the chuck, making it a lot worse. But none of
        that is really a problem if you just drill holes without applying any
        side forces. I have seen better drill presses - this model seems
        particular flimsy, and mine is especially bad.