Re: [taigtools] URGENT! , looking for a heavyduty HP motor for my Mill??

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "luisguillermo98" <luisguillermo98@...>
      To: <taigtools@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 1:31 AM
      Subject: [taigtools] URGENT! , looking for a heavyduty HP motor for my
      Mill??

      > I am using carbide slotting saws .75" diameter to cut stainless
      > steel. I can not go deeper than .010" per pass since I need more hp.
      > when I try to go deeper it looks like the saw is jumping and not
      > constanly cutting. According to some books if spidle belt is loose or
      > not enought hp is apply thin saws tend to do just that..
      >
      > Do you guys have any suggestion of what motor to be used on the Taig
      > mill..
      > it has to be at leat 1/3hp or more and not to heavy. I checked the
      > lesson and the controller and they run about 400$ and it is too
      > expensive for me right now. I am looking for something chipper like
      > treadmill or some like that. have any body ever replaced the taig
      > motor? if yes, what brand, what modification has to be done, is it
      > heavy duty? where to buy it?? etc..

      My Taig (from the UK importer) came with a 1/2 HP GE motor. It was quite
      cheap.

      Leon
    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
        If you're looking for a treadmill motor,ect.check out www.surpluscenter.com
        they have a huge selection of motors and controllers to go with em' and most anything electronic.

        I replaced my asian mini mill motor with a treadmill motor and have been loving the low RPM high torque ever since..increased my cutting capabilities by about 125% by doing so

        Regards

        > I am using carbide slotting saws .75" diameter to cut stainless
        > steel. I can not go deeper than .010" per pass since I need more hp.
        > when I try to go deeper it looks like the saw is jumping and not
        > constanly cutting. According to some books if spidle belt is loose or
        > not enought hp is apply thin saws tend to do just that..
        >
        > Do you guys have any suggestion of what motor to be used on the Taig
        > mill..
        > it has to be at leat 1/3hp or more and not to heavy. I checked the
        > lesson and the controller and they run about 400$ and it is too
        > expensive for me right now. I am looking for something chipper like
        > treadmill or some like that. have any body ever replaced the taig
        > motor? if yes, what brand, what modification has to be done, is it
        > heavy duty? where to buy it?? etc..

        My Taig (from the UK importer) came with a 1/2 HP GE motor. It was quite
        cheap.

        Leon

      • luisguillermo98
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
          I checked their website and they do not have treadmill motor.. do you
          know any other dealer who sell those motor..

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "luisguillermo98"
            <luisguillermo98@y...> wrote:
            > I checked their website and they do not have treadmill motor.. do
            you
            > know any other dealer who sell those motor..
            >

            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Jim Brown <jagco1998@y...> wrote:
            > > If you're looking for a treadmill motor,ect.check out
            > www.surpluscenter.com
            > > they have a huge selection of motors and controllers to go with
            > em' and most anything electronic.
            > >
            > > I replaced my asian mini mill motor with a treadmill motor and
            have
            > been loving the low RPM high torque ever since..increased my
            cutting
            > capabilities by about 125% by doing so
            > >
            > > Regards

          • Terence T.S. Tam
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
              Try American science and surplus (www.sciplus.com)

              -=- Terence

              --

              Terence T.S. Tam

              Thinking about buying a Cyclone motor upgrade? Think again:
              http://staff.washington.edu/ttstam/cyclone_motor_sucks.html

              <luisguillermo98@y...> wrote:
              > I checked their website and they do not have treadmill motor.. do
              you
              > know any other dealer who sell those motor..
              >

              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Jim Brown <jagco1998@y...> wrote:
              > > If you're looking for a treadmill motor,ect.check out
              > www.surpluscenter.com
              > > they have a huge selection of motors and controllers to go with
              > em' and most anything electronic.
              > >
              > > I replaced my asian mini mill motor with a treadmill motor and
              have
              > been loving the low RPM high torque ever since..increased my
              cutting
              > capabilities by about 125% by doing so
              > >
              > > Regards

            • Aahz.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
                >Try American science and surplus (www.sciplus.com)

                They had new and surplus treadmill motors last time I checked.

                Aahz.
              • Tom Benedict
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
                  They're there, but doing a search on "treadmill" doesn't bring anything
                  up. Here's a link to the one I just bought for my mill:

                  http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003120218090830&catname=&qty=1&item=10-1573

                  Tom

                • luisguillermo98@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                    What speed controller can be used with it?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                      What controler can be used with the treadmill? what is the weight on
                      the treadmill?

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Buchholz" <andybuch@y...>

                    • broken003@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                        Check the requirements for the motor you choose, but I think this one is "plug and play" (where you dont have to mess with any circuits). I think there are cheaper alternatives but as always its a cost Vs. Time thing.

                        http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003121713500073&item=11-2269&catname=

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • Tom Benedict
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                          I picked up a KBIC-120, but haven't had a chance to sit down and plug
                          everything in. (Busy making presents for people.) But from the specs it
                          looks like it'd work fine.

                          I haven't weighed my motor yet, so I can't say about the weight. But it's
                          one that a number of people have on their mills, so I'm guessing the
                          weight is fine.

                          FWIW, I've been able to use the stock Taig slit saw with my 1/10 HP motor.
                          But I did as Tony described and took very light cuts. The teeth clog up
                          to fast if you don't. And I found out first-hand that proper lubrication
                          is essential or the slit saw jams hard.

                          I'm looking forward to using slit saws with the VS spindle, and expect
                          things to go even more swimmingly than they did. But it is possible with
                          the stock motor. It's just slow. This isn't a function of the motor,
                          it's the saw. The times I've been around people using slit saws on full
                          sized machines, they also ran them slowly, gently, and carefully.

                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                            Surpluscenter cust service told me that none of the controller they
                            carry will work with this motor and I really do not know why they
                            said that..

                            luis..