Adjusting Mill headstock?

  • mmurray701
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      I havent really had a need to have my headstock alighned precisely
      front to back before but i'm doing a job now where I'd like to have
      it a little closer. I know it is off a little. Side to side
      adjustment isnt a problem, I'm just wondering about front to back. I
      can handle measuring how much its off, just wondering how to correct
      it? Any advice? Thanks!

      Mark
    • Tom Benedict
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        I'm behind on email, so bear with me if this has been answered...

        A couple of methods come to mind. One is to measure how much it's off,
        front to back, over a distance equal to the length of the dovetail the
        headstock fits onto. Let's say it's 0.002". Get some 0.002" shim stock
        or clip a little off an 0.002" feeler gauge, and use it to shim the
        dovetail. Now align side-to-side. Put on the headstock and verify.

        The second is to drill and tap some #10-32 holes in the dovetail the
        headstock fits onto, and put in some set screws. Use these to adjust
        front-back angle, then use the normal methods to do side-to-side
        alignment. Install the headstock and verify.

        There are likely other ways (and better ways!)

        Tom

        On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, mmurray701 wrote:

        > I havent really had a need to have my headstock alighned precisely
        > front to back before but i'm doing a job now where I'd like to have
        > it a little closer. I know it is off a little. Side to side
        > adjustment isnt a problem, I'm just wondering about front to back. I
        > can handle measuring how much its off, just wondering how to correct
        > it? Any advice? Thanks!
        >
        > Mark

      • Alan Rothenbush
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          On Sunday 02 November 2003 14:11, mmurray701 wrote:
          > I havent really had a need to have my headstock alighned precisely
          > front to back before but i'm doing a job now where I'd like to have
          > it a little closer. I know it is off a little.

          I ended up with a second drill press a while ago, and decided to
          combine the best of both to make a machine I'd use for my metal work,
          and assemble what was left for woodworking (being too lazy to walk
          the 10 feet from the wood shop to the metal shop).

          I discovered that the head on the "new" machine protruded past the
          center hole on the old table, so I had to space the table out. No
          problem, just a big fat (1") washer and a longer mounting bolt.

          I decided to then solve a second problem at the same time, which is
          the same as yours, perpendicularity in the "fore and aft" plane, as
          the table was off by about 3 or 4 degrees.

          I make up two washers about 1/2" thick, and bevelled them about 3
          degrees.

          With the washers stacked on top of each other and oriented one way,
          the top and bottom faces sit parallel.

          Rotating one of the washers 180 degrees, the top and bottom are now
          out of parallel by about 6 degrees.

          Rotating one of them about 90 degrees squared things up for me .. in
          that plane. (The table was now tipped in the other plane, but this
          too is adjustable by the normal means.)

          Hope this helps.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Rothenbush
          Academic Computing Services

          Before me things create were none, save things
          Eternal, and eternal I endure.
          All hope abandon ye who enter here.