Re: Motor mounting in front / power-head assembly

  • Ken Jenkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003
      > How about mounting the motor? How many people kept the motor in the
      > current location or how many changed the mount to something like Ken
      > Jenkins?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Mark

      FYI: My reason for mounting the motor in the front was mainly balance.
      I like the idea of symmetrically loading "Z". Since I originally put
      up the pictures of the mount on my site I have removed a lot of metal
      (eg. cutting out the rectangular side panel centers and slotting the
      supports which go from the lower end of the motor to the upper end)
      to further reduce the weight of the whole assembly (although the weight
      of @13lbs doesn't seem to phase Z-travel at all).

      I don't know how easy it is to see from the pictures but the motor is
      mounted to the top of the headstock with a steel plate, special long
      T-nuts and 8 Allen screws. Power is transmitted with a short XL timing
      belt/pulley arrangement and there is an adjustment of @.750" in order
      to tension the belt.

      The whole assembly is very rigid and it has the advantage that I can
      remove the whole assembly from the Z-axis (the cable that runs from
      the motor to the controller box is @ 6 ft) and I have in essence a
      kind of "general purpose - variable speed - power-head". I have an
      aluminum base plate on which I have mounted a plate like the one on

      the Z-axis (a \__________/-like cross section). I slide the head
      onto this plate just like on Z (except now it is in a horizontal
      orientation). I have several "tools" I am planning to build which
      will be powered by this.

      1. A small diameter blade modeling table saw.
      2. A modeling thickness sander.
      3. A tool grinding set up .

      I recently completed another "head" for the mill which allows me
      to mount a DEWALT laminate trimmer in place of the power-head
      described above. I used an extra riser block as the start for this
      and it works very well. When I'm a little less busy I'm going to
      update the web site:

      http://kj.cloudcitydigital.com/

      Cheers,

      Ken J.