41236Re: [taigtools] RE: Max safe rpm for 4-jaws chuck

  • pe3hmp
    Oct 10, 2013
      A man wearing a tie behind a lathe, never saw that before

      From: Manfred Vormbaum
      Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:44 PM
      To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [taigtools] RE: Max safe rpm for 4-jaws chuck

      It is not just long hair that can kill you!

      As an engineering student a few years ago I was given a tour of the factory on my first day at the company. In the workshop they were painting the wall behind a huge lathe that had killed a person a few days before when his tie got caught in the workpiece and the lathe lifted him up and threw him against the opposite wall.

      I was told that he died before his body hit the wall as his neck was most likely broken when the lathe yanked his tie.

      Yes, be careful and remember that even small lathes or mills like the Taig can cause you to loose a finger or two or an eye.