Re: Retrieve unique values

  • focus2friends
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2008
      Ok, the "borders" of TaffyDB are now clear. I'll finish my "client data broker" app, see what
      I come across and share my thoughts.

      cheers.

      --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "tacoman_cool" <ian@...> wrote:

      > It very much would. The reason it hasn't to date is to save space in
      > the .js file and to focus on the API more on the things people have
      > been asking for. Personally I'd like to look at returning an special
      > object from get() that would be able to do this type of thing.
      >
      > So you could do:
      > collection.get({addressState:"WA"}).getUniques("somecolumn");
      >
      > or, as in our other discussion:
      >
      > collection.get({addressState:"WA"}).subSelect(["col1","col2");
      >
      > Any thoughts?
      >
      > --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "focus2friends" <focus2friends@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wouldn't it be easier if you could select a specified field (column)
      > values from the
      > > collection and do a gatherUnique on that resultset?
      > >
      > > --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "tacoman_cool" <ian@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The way to do that is using the Taffy Utility function
      > > > TAFFY.gatherUniques.
      > > >
      > > > You'll need to build a bit of a wrapper though. Something like:
      > > >
      > > > optionsDB.getOptGroups = function () {
      > > > var x = [];
      > > > optionsDB.forEach(function (r) {x[x.length] = r.optgroup});
      > > > return TAFFY.gatherUniques(x);
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > That should return an array of unique values.
      > > >
      > > > --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "focus2friends" <focus2friends@>

      > > > snippet below). Now I want to
      > > > should contain "Tires",

    • martin_seidel
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
        --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "tacoman_cool" <ian@...> wrote:

        > It very much would. The reason it hasn't to date is to save space in
        > the .js file and to focus on the API more on the things people have
        > been asking for. Personally I'd like to look at returning an special
        > object from get() that would be able to do this type of thing.
        >
        > So you could do:
        > collection.get({addressState:"WA"}).getUniques("somecolumn");
        >
        > or, as in our other discussion:
        >
        > collection.get({addressState:"WA"}).subSelect(["col1","col2");
        >
        > Any thoughts?

        Actually, a function to get only unique values out of a TAFFY would
        have been convenient for my mini-catalogue app too, but
        gatherUniques(array) is also useful.
      • martin_seidel
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
          Great work, btw.