Sync Taffydb across mobile devices using Dropbox?

  • Douglas Turner
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013
      What are the limitations in doing this?

      I want to have the syncing between Android/iOS devices managed by
      Dropbox. 1Password already does it and it works great. In my mind
      taffydb would work great for this. Why not, I ask?

      Currently, I have an Titanium built iOS app that uses couchdb (known as
      TouchDB for mobile) to handle the database and syncing and it has been
      working great... but I am starting to run into various technical
      difficulties.

      For one, touchdb doesn't work on the latest Android os, only 2.2. It has
      been a known issue for quite awhile now and I do not see it being
      resolved any time soon. Im revisiting my original implementation idea; a
      document based db that syncs through Dropbox.

      I want to get away from managing a server "in the cloud". This will save
      on my server costs and if I want to stop supporting my app the users
      won't then be SOL. The users will have a greater degree of perceived
      privacy and security, which is important. I can offer the ability to
      keep the syncing limited to a local wifi network as well, again a la
      1Password.

      Thank you for reading this and sharing your thoughts.