TAFFY() subset

  • Jason Wright
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
      Ian,

      When using a .filter([key:value]).get() command, the resulting subset is an array of values.
      Instead of returning an array of values, is it possible to return a new TAFFY() database composed of the selected subset subset?
      Some of my more detailed queries might be faster if the result is a new TAFFY() database.

      thanks,
      -Jason
    • taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
        Jason,

        If I understand what you are asking then Taffy is already somewhat effective at sun queries. It works by reducing the number of records it looks at to only those that passed the previous filters.

        Example:
        db({status:['active','pending','pause']}).filter({priority:1}).filter({managed:true}).get()

        So it will filter for records with one of those 3 statuses first and then searches the results for priority 1 and then searches those results for managed = true.

        Also, can't you just do this yourself by calling TAFFY(db().get())?

        It wouldn't really cause any issues other than all the records would get new ___ids so you couldn't take any of them and pass them back to the original db() to update or remove, etc

        Thought?

        Ian

        --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:

        > Ian,
        >
        > When using a .filter([key:value]).get() command, the resulting subset is an
        > array of values.
        > Instead of returning an array of values, is it possible to return a new
        > TAFFY() database composed of the selected subset subset?
        > Some of my more detailed queries might be faster if the result is a new
        > TAFFY() database.
        >
        > thanks,
        > -Jason

      • Jason Wright
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
          TAFFY(db().get())

          That's exactly what I was wanting. Basically, in my financial planning software, I have a lot of data that I need to access, but the order of the information processed matters. By creating a new temporary database, I can query and save the information for a particular date, then I can query the subset in the order that I am defining for my different types of data for that date. This saves me from processing a lot of queries on the larger dataset or from iterating multiple times through a big list of results in an array.

          thanks!
          -Jason

          On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM, <taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Jason,

          If I understand what you are asking then Taffy is already somewhat effective at sun queries. It works by reducing the number of records it looks at to only those that passed the previous filters.

          Example:
          db({status:['active','pending','pause']}).filter({priority:1}).filter({managed:true}).get()

          So it will filter for records with one of those 3 statuses first and then searches the results for priority 1 and then searches those results for managed = true.

          Also, can't you just do this yourself by calling TAFFY(db().get())?

          It wouldn't really cause any issues other than all the records would get new ___ids so you couldn't take any of them and pass them back to the original db() to update or remove, etc

          Thought?

          Ian

          --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:

          > Ian,
          >
          > When using a .filter([key:value]).get() command, the resulting subset is an
          > array of values.
          > Instead of returning an array of values, is it possible to return a new
          > TAFFY() database composed of the selected subset subset?
          > Some of my more detailed queries might be faster if the result is a new
          > TAFFY() database.
          >
          > thanks,
          > -Jason

        • Jason Wright
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
            Thinking about the situation a little more, if I didn't want to use a subdatabase, I could use a special code to describe  the order of the operation, then sort on this code... so many different ways to do the same thing.

            -Jason

            On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:
            TAFFY(db().get())

            That's exactly what I was wanting. Basically, in my financial planning software, I have a lot of data that I need to access, but the order of the information processed matters. By creating a new temporary database, I can query and save the information for a particular date, then I can query the subset in the order that I am defining for my different types of data for that date. This saves me from processing a lot of queries on the larger dataset or from iterating multiple times through a big list of results in an array.

            thanks!
            -Jason

            On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM, <taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Jason,

            If I understand what you are asking then Taffy is already somewhat effective at sun queries. It works by reducing the number of records it looks at to only those that passed the previous filters.

            Example:
            db({status:['active','pending','pause']}).filter({priority:1}).filter({managed:true}).get()

            So it will filter for records with one of those 3 statuses first and then searches the results for priority 1 and then searches those results for managed = true.

            Also, can't you just do this yourself by calling TAFFY(db().get())?

            It wouldn't really cause any issues other than all the records would get new ___ids so you couldn't take any of them and pass them back to the original db() to update or remove, etc

            Thought?

            Ian

            --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:

            > Ian,
            >
            > When using a .filter([key:value]).get() command, the resulting subset is an
            > array of values.
            > Instead of returning an array of values, is it possible to return a new
            > TAFFY() database composed of the selected subset subset?
            > Some of my more detailed queries might be faster if the result is a new
            > TAFFY() database.
            >
            > thanks,
            > -Jason

          • Karl Coleman
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2012
              Here's the query I'm doing, with the details removed. Pretty basic. The
              db has 1060 records, nothing crazy large IMO.

              records = db().join(teams, function(l,r){}).join(players,
              function(l,r){)).order()limit().select()

              I'm doing a loop and each iteration performing the above query with a
              different criterion. Usually on the 5th iteration it freezes. Sometimes
              on the 4th, but it never makes it through the 5th.

              Each iteration I process the returned records, creating a data structure
              to be used by jquery templates.

              I can't figure out what's going on. Is there some data/memory management
              I should be doing with the db before each iteration? There're no errors
              in the JS console. It's just frozen. And the criteria doesn't matter.
              It's always the 4th or 5th, usually the 5th, iteration that it gets
              frozen on.

              Thanks,
              Karl
            • Karl
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2012
                Still trying to figure out my last problem. Throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks at this point.

                What's the difference between

                db({col4:value}).order("col2");

                and

                db().filter({col4:value}).order("col2");

                Thanks,
                Karl

                --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Karl Coleman <karlcoleman@...> wrote:

                > Here's the query I'm doing, with the details removed. Pretty basic. The
                > db has 1060 records, nothing crazy large IMO.
                >
                > records = db().join(teams, function(l,r){}).join(players,
                > function(l,r){)).order()limit().select()
                >
                > I'm doing a loop and each iteration performing the above query with a
                > different criterion. Usually on the 5th iteration it freezes. Sometimes
                > on the 4th, but it never makes it through the 5th.
                >
                > Each iteration I process the returned records, creating a data structure
                > to be used by jquery templates.
                >
                > I can't figure out what's going on. Is there some data/memory management
                > I should be doing with the db before each iteration? There're no errors
                > in the JS console. It's just frozen. And the criteria doesn't matter.
                > It's always the 4th or 5th, usually the 5th, iteration that it gets
                > frozen on.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Karl

              • Rory Barrett
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
                  Hello Colleagues

                  I have been playing around with Taffy and am impressed. How does Taffy read from a csv table with say 50 records ?

                  Rory Barrett