TaffyDB makes the internet faster!

  • Jason Wright
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2012
      <rant>
      I was recently contemplating: Why isn't the internet faster?
      The wait time of many pages is the initial latency of getting the reqest to the webserver, then the response, then the time to download all the information.
      So, if we reduce the number of web page requests to the server, cache information for subsequent requests, and allow the browser to sort much of the information that is downloaded (instead of a far and away SQL server) then we can save immense amount of time, and some central database processing.
      Take Autotrader.com as an example. You put your search criteria for a car in, press search and voila- you see a list of cars.
      I realized it could be a lot faster and a "client-side database" (aka TaffyDB) could help each subsequent pageload in the same search be nearly instantaneous! information on each car could be stored in a TAFFY() database. Then you want to change the results to sort by price...BAM! Instant results. Sort by distance...BAM! Also instant!. Go to the next page...instant! Click on a car to see the details... instant! Javascript can cache the images for all those pages after your initial page loads.

      When will the internet get faster? When we start taking advantage of the incredible capabilities of using a client-side caching and databases!
      </rant>

      -Jason
    • taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2012
        I've found that using TaffyDB has changed the way I do backend programming. Now I mostly write backends that are focused on storing and securing data in a manner highly compatible with clients using TaffyDB. I pull down as much of the user experience as practical and possible, use JavaScript and .each() to render the front end as needed, push updates into my TaffyDB, and use TaffyDB events to sync changes back to the server.

        Really you can do all this with just pure JavaScript. I like to use TaffyDB because it lets me apply the data oriented application development skills I learned on the server to intelligent client side app development.

        --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:

        > <rant>
        > I was recently contemplating: Why isn't the internet faster?
        > The wait time of many pages is the initial latency of getting the reqest to
        > the webserver, then the response, then the time to download all the
        > information.
        > So, if we reduce the number of web page requests to the server, cache
        > information for subsequent requests, and allow the browser to sort much of
        > the information that is downloaded (instead of a far and away SQL server)
        > then we can save immense amount of time, and some central database
        > processing.
        > Take Autotrader.com as an example. You put your search criteria for a car
        > in, press search and voila- you see a list of cars.
        > I realized it could be a lot faster and a "client-side database" (aka
        > TaffyDB) could help each subsequent pageload in the same search be nearly
        > instantaneous! information on each car could be stored in a TAFFY()
        > database. Then you want to change the results to sort by price...BAM!
        > Instant results. Sort by distance...BAM! Also instant!. Go to the next
        > page...instant! Click on a car to see the details... instant! Javascript
        > can cache the images for all those pages after your initial page loads.
        >
        > When will the internet get faster? When we start taking advantage of the
        > incredible capabilities of using a client-side caching and databases!
        > </rant>
        >
        > -Jason

      • Jason Wright
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2012
          Ian,
          Great post! That's how I'm thinking about backend development, too! Some applications with large datasets still need to have relational databases, but my datasets will not be interconnected, so it's mostly about secure storage that can scale. (my "database" could be thought of as several small databases)
           Once I get to the backend, I'm considering parse.com to offload data storage.
          For this project, As interested as I am in new databases (I think it's amazing! Most of the developments happened since I graduated from college in 2008) --I don't want to worry about mySQL vs. noSQL (in all its flavors). My dataset is not very relational-it's a very personal dataset that can easily be managed in a browser. Today, I'm interested in creating a fast, responsive, usable and beautiful web application-- goodbye latency!

          I'm very interested in parse.com because it manages data, but it also manages user logins, access permissions, etc. It is not just a database in the cloud, but it is a back-end management cloud provider -- complete with lots of APIs and libraries for many languages! (including javascript!)

          Does anyone on this list have experience with parse.com or something similar?
          Also, it might be cheaper to host the information somewhere else, but right now I am interested in decreasing development time, not about hosting costs.

          And to add another two bits to my last post, it will be interesting to see if/when javascript multithreaded execution becomes a standard feature. (It's in HTML5, but not widely supported)
          I can see this being useful in accessing API information from multiple sites at once.

          -Jason