A little deeper insight...

  • derija93
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2012
      Hello, fellow programmers!

      I have just stumbled upon this library this morning about an hour ago now but am at present way to busy to go through the source codes. So I'd greatly appreciate if you could answer my question or, if it does not work out the way I hope it will, work with me on a solution or workaround.

      I am currently developing a game engine based on the THREE graphics engine and have been struggling with the ideal resource storage. An array appears to be possibly ineffective since huge amounts of data may be added but an emulation of an array with modified methods to speed-optimize the code seems even more ineffective. My major problem is the splice function and the fact that I'd like to assign "static" indices to certain elements of the array. Disqualifies the push method, since it would continue inserting items after the last element which may be somewhere at a million... I'd end up possibly having a huge gap in the array. I believe nothing more but an aesthetical issue, something I could possibly live with if I couldn't find anything better.

      I won't have time so soon to work on test codes to check all of the thoughts I had right now which include:

      - Where is the database stored? (localStorage? Cookies? Even something different?!)

      - Is the database only stored at the end of a session? Hence would I be allowed to store entire objects associated to WebGL objects during runtime and remove the database before it is stored? Or are they serialized and immediately stored? It would be awesome to have a solution that can quickly organize and query my resources, just like SQLite or hopefully this library.

      - What about performance? This is a key aspect and the initial kick why I actually began my search of the web for a database like WebSQL or Indexed DB which I am afraid will not be able to support my attempt. The more code I could deflect to native code, the better.

      Thank you for your time.

      Sincerely,

      Derija