TaffyDB 2.0 is out!

  • taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
      Finally! Over the past couple of months I've been pushing to turn the idea of TaffyDB into a full on launched app. The site is new, the API is new. In fact, almost every line has either been replaced or improved.

      http://taffydb.com/

      Key change: now TaffyDB works a lot more like jQuery for data.

      Example:

      Each DB is a function:

      var db = TAFFY();

      db({column:value}) // look for records where column = value

      Additionally you can chain methods together.

      messages({status:"unread"}).limit(15).order("datesent logicaldesc").each(function (r) {
      alert(r.message);
      }).update({status:"read"});

      I'm writing this on the train but if I got that right this expression does the following in one line:
      1. Finds messages with a status of unread.
      2. Limits the number to 15.
      3. Orders just the query (not the whole DB like it would in Taffy 1.X) by a column.
      4. Loops over each record and alerts the message.
      5. Updates the records to a status of read

      You can also "cache" queries.

      So let's say you had a collection of friends.

      var friends = TAFFY();

      You can now build cache queries that will stay current but never rerun unless the data changes.

      men = friends({gender:"M"});
      women = friends({gender:"F"});

      You can now do things like call men.each() or women.update() anywhere (assuming they are global variables) in your app.

      There is a lot more to look at. Please have a look. Let me know if you spot bugs (spelling mistakes, etc).

      Thanks!

      http://taffydb.com

      Ian
      twitter.com/mriansmith
    • Darren Kovalchik
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
        Awesome work Ian, looks great! Can't wait to figure out something to use it on.
      • Don Smith