Re: stringify

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
      Hi Rory,

      Let's back up a second. If you have some data you can create a Taffy collection as follows:

      var mycollection = TAFFY([
      [{F1:"Amy",F2:"Palmer"},{F1:""Bob",F2:"Smith"}]
      ])

      Now you can do a lot.

      mycollection.stringify() will turn all your data into a JSON packet that you can print to the string, pass back to the server, etc. Example:

      alert(mycollection.stringify());

      If you want just the first record you can get it like this:

      mycollection.first();

      This returns the record itself. So this should alert "Amy":

      alert(mycollection.first().F1);

      If you want the first record where F2 is "Smith" you can do this. It will alert Bob:

      alert(mycollection.first({F2:"Smith"}).F1);

      I hope that helps,

      Ian

      --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Barrett" <ramses@...> wrote:

      > Hello fellow Taffy Users
      >
      > I have only just begun using Taffy and have encountered a problem that someone can possibly help with.
      >
      > Suppose you have a collection consisting of 5 records called coll. Each record has 4 fields say F1,F2,F3, F4.
      >
      > If I declare an array called myColl = coll.stringify();
      > do I get a string array myColl so if I use myColl[3][2] I get a string which is the string version of the second field of the third record ?
      >
      > I have assumed this to be the case but have been informed by the page I have been working on there are errors.
      >
      > I really need the string version of the second field of the third record and similar. If I can't get it using stringify then how do I do so and how does stringify() work ?
      >
      > Rory Barrett

    • Rory Barrett
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
        Hello Ian

         coudn't help myself so am giving you this before I go to the gym.

        I took a previous script and introduced taffy into it until I had an error.I have commented where the code is that's producing the error. There may be other bits. What is wqrong. I tried what you suggested bur to no avail. Help !

        Rory

        <head>

        <script type="text/javascript" src="taffy.js "></script>

        <script type="text/javascript">

        var numFriends=4;

        var friends = new TAFFY(
        [
        {firstName:"Bob",
          familyName:"Marley"},
        {firstName:"Bill",
          familyName:"Marlin"},
         {firstName:"Bud",
          familyName:"Weiser"},
         {firstName:"Bad",
          familyName:"Ass"}
          ]
        )

        myFriends = friends.stringify();

        function insRows(){
        var orows = document.getElementById('myTable').getElementsByTagName('tr');
        var rowCount = orows.length;

        if (rowCount< numFriends) {
         for(qNum=1;qNum<=numFriends;qNum++)
         {

            var x=document.getElementById('myTable').insertRow(myTable.rows.length);
            var y=x.insertCell(0);
            var z=x.insertCell(1);
              y.align = 'center';
            z.align = 'left';

            y.innerHTML= "hank" ;
            z.innerHTML="spank";

          }//end of for
         }//end of if
        }//end insRows

        </script>

        </head>

               <!-- <td width = "10%">Answer</td>

        <script type="text/javascript">
        <!-- Here is the simple command that seems to causing problems-->

        document.write(myFriends.first().firstName);
        <!----------->
        </script>

        Let's back up a second. If you have some data you can create a Taffy collection as follows:

        var mycollection = TAFFY([
        [{F1:"Amy",F2: "Palmer"} ,{F1:""Bob" ,F2:"Smith" }]
        ])

        Now you can do a lot.

        mycollection. stringify( ) will turn all your data into a JSON packet that you can print to the string, pass back to the server, etc. Example:

        alert(mycollection. stringify( ));

        If you want just the first record you can get it like this:

        mycollection. first();

        This returns the record itself. So this should alert "Amy":

        alert(mycollection. first().F1) ;

        If you want the first record where F2 is "Smith" you can do this. It will alert Bob:

        alert(mycollection. first({F2: "Smith"}) .F1);

        I hope that helps,

        Ian

        --- In taffydb@yahoogroups .com, "Rory Barrett" <ramses@...> wrote:

        > Hello fellow Taffy Users
        >
        > I have only just begun using Taffy and have encountered a problem that someone can possibly help with.
        >
        > Suppose you have a collection consisting of 5 records called coll. Each record has 4 fields say F1,F2,F3, F4.
        >
        > If I declare an array called myColl = coll.stringify( );
        > do I get a string array myColl so if I use myColl[3][2] I get a string which is the string version of the second field of the third record ?
        >
        > I have assumed this to be the case but have been informed by the page I have been working on there are errors.
        >
        > I really need the string version of the second field of the third record and similar. If I can't get it using stringify then how do I do so and how does stringify() work ?
        >
        > Rory Barrett

      • Rory Barrett
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
          Hello Colleagues

          I am not  familar with JSON. If I need it then I will learn about it. Right now all I want to be able to do is be able to turn the different fields in the records in a collection into strings which can be used in a javascript program.

          What I mean is this. Assuming you had a really simple collection like
          var mycollection = TAFFY([
          [{F1:"Amy",F2: "Palmer"} ,{F1:""Bob" ,F2:"Smith" }]
          ])
          and suppose you needed the F2s as strings then how do you get this ?

          I am sorry to ask questions about something that probably seems really basic and pointless however if Taffy offers a way of getting persistence simply then all my computing problems are solved.

          My current situation is that I have very good javascript programs that generate values as strings. The problem is that when I turn the computerr off these values cease to exist. What I need is for them to be retained. I thought that Taffy was a way I could do this. I expect that it is but I need to be able to turn records into arrays of strings which can be used in a javascript program. Is anyone able to help without referring to JSON which I know little about and seems somewhat complicated.

          Rory Barrett

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
            Hi Rory,

            I think I see your problem. You're setting:

            myFriends = friends.stringify()

            And then trying to do this:

            document.write(myFriends.first().firstName);

            But myFriends is a string now, not a Taffy Object. friends.first().firstName should work.

          • Rory Barrett
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
              Hello Ian

              Deadright. I did what you suggested. It worked brilliantly. I commented out document.write(friends.first().firstName); and substituted document.write(fmyFiends.); This time the entire collection was printed. I then tried document.write(friends.get()[2].firstName); To my delight the first name of the second record was printed. I am now going to dry inserting a new record or two and see what happens.

              As a matter of interest how many records are possible if they each have about 25 fields ?

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
                You've hit the nail on the head :-) You can't persist values in JavaScript without either using browser features (somewhat iffy) or having a server somewhere to pass data to and have that data written to a database.

                For a server you'll be using Ajax, for trying to save data to the browser I can reccomend playing around with http://pablotron.org/software/persist-js/

                As a side note, there is no limit on size of objects or number of records. However once you get over 4 or 5 thousands records things start to slow down depending on how you use Taffy. I have seen collections as big as 50K though.