440Re: TaffyDB makes the internet faster!

  • taffydb-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Aug 6, 2012
      I've found that using TaffyDB has changed the way I do backend programming. Now I mostly write backends that are focused on storing and securing data in a manner highly compatible with clients using TaffyDB. I pull down as much of the user experience as practical and possible, use JavaScript and .each() to render the front end as needed, push updates into my TaffyDB, and use TaffyDB events to sync changes back to the server.

      Really you can do all this with just pure JavaScript. I like to use TaffyDB because it lets me apply the data oriented application development skills I learned on the server to intelligent client side app development.

      --- In taffydb@yahoogroups.com, Jason Wright <jasonwright365@...> wrote:

      > <rant>
      > I was recently contemplating: Why isn't the internet faster?
      > The wait time of many pages is the initial latency of getting the reqest to
      > the webserver, then the response, then the time to download all the
      > information.
      > So, if we reduce the number of web page requests to the server, cache
      > information for subsequent requests, and allow the browser to sort much of
      > the information that is downloaded (instead of a far and away SQL server)
      > then we can save immense amount of time, and some central database
      > processing.
      > Take Autotrader.com as an example. You put your search criteria for a car
      > in, press search and voila- you see a list of cars.
      > I realized it could be a lot faster and a "client-side database" (aka
      > TaffyDB) could help each subsequent pageload in the same search be nearly
      > instantaneous! information on each car could be stored in a TAFFY()
      > database. Then you want to change the results to sort by price...BAM!
      > Instant results. Sort by distance...BAM! Also instant!. Go to the next
      > page...instant! Click on a car to see the details... instant! Javascript
      > can cache the images for all those pages after your initial page loads.
      >
      > When will the internet get faster? When we start taking advantage of the
      > incredible capabilities of using a client-side caching and databases!
      > </rant>
      >
      > -Jason

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic