Accurate TD recording timeline?

  • cyaron_efm
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20
      Hello all. Does anyone know where the most accurate TD recording schedule might be found? I'm trying to get the TD releases all in order, as best as can be managed. I had compiled a very long and very researched list a few years ago,but that computer got stolen from me. In addition to trying to regain the TD, PPM, and Loom that I had bought online from various sources, I am trying to recompile the chronology.

      I know that VitN is kinda close, but we've discussed several mistakes here in the past, and I'm just not sure how to go about trying to retrieve those conversations given the Groups format and the who-knows-what message titles that were used.

      There is a list at discog.info that goes up to 1989, but that one is full of errors too.

      Does anyone here know of a better source?

      Thanks. :)

    • John Marchington

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21
          It depends on how accurate you need it. How much more detaillied as VitN should it be? I've just took some random samples and I found release dates as well as recording dates for each entry, sometimes a bigger, sometimes a smaller time span.

          If someone has more accurate or detailled information: Why not send it to Michael so he could improve VitN.

          Jörg

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21
            Indeed. I'm not so much worried about the compilations as I am the original albums and soundtracks.

            As for years with multiple releases, I had done a good job throughout the Eastgate Years of following exactly when TD, PPM, and Jerome releases came out, so I knew they were at least in order of release. We can use the Eastgate catalog numbers to help us out there, but if the best we have is "June," it's still going to involve some guesswork. The Froese solo albums should be easy enough to figure out, and we have a fairly good idea of when albums like Stratosfear were recorded.

            What I'm more worried about is all the stuff in the Blue Years where, let's say, The Park Is Mine sounds pre-Firestarter, Flashpoint, Le Parc, but the movie didn't come out until later. I remember I had Canyon Dreams as just after US and the following tour, but I don't remember, aside from the sound of it, why I had it there instead of after one of the other soundtracks. Then there are just so many OSTs from 1987 and I have no idea when they were done.

            Also, was US really recorded between the legs of the tour from which Vault 4 was derived? Or is that just an assumption? I see a lot of assumed recording dates for things out there but it was only through discussion on here that we were able to get a much better idea when these things probably happened.

            If I remember right, which I may not, I had, from that general time period:
            Wavelength
            Hyperborea
            Risky Business
            Poland
            TPiM
            Firestarter
            Flashpoint
            Le Parc
            Heartbreakers (???)
            Legend
            1986 tour Part 1
            US
            Dolpjhin Smile (as an extra from the US sessions)
            1986 tour Part 2
            Canyon Dreams
            ...Ugh ... Tyger?
            Shitloads of other OSTs? I had an order for these but I do not remember it...
            Livemiles Part 2
            Livemiles Part 1 as a 1988 collection of late-1987 bits from what was to be the next album until Franke left
            Optical Race
            Rockface???
            Miracle Mile
            Lily
            East or Destination Berlin
            Melrose
            OSTS released in early-90s but which may have been recorded earlier...

            This also doesn't take into account the Trees, though we can obviously derive some information from the breaks in touring schedules.
          • cyaron_efm
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21
              This has been discussed as well, and I remember somehow trying to message him about a couple specific things from the list here (though I don't remember just what they were now, unfortunately) and I don't remember if anything came of it.

              ViTN is probably the best source we have that's in one place, for the time being, but it takes its information from other available sources, and Michael may not know the exact recording times, and also, ViTN orders its chronology based on release date, not recording date. All of these things are perfectly reasonable; it's just that getting at the order of recording is more difficult, and it took several people chiming in here and there to get more definite approximations.

              Just going through some listings to illustrate what I mean, Wavelength says "Recording date: 1983" but nothing more, probably because that's simply the best info that he had when he made the entry. Firestarter and Flashpoint just say "1984" for recording and release, probably again because that's the best he could be sure of. Le Parc says it was recorded in January and February of 1985, and released in May. Heartbreakers says it was released in April, but still recorded in 1985, though no months are given. It could have been recorded just before or just after Le Parc, or theoretically in 1984, unless someone knows that this could not have been possible. I'd be comfortable enough using the sound of the recording to estimate which it was, but only if there is no better way of getting at the correct order.

              So many 1987 OST releases just say they were recorded in 1987, but are shown by approximate release date. Then we have things like "Boat to China" from probably 2008, where the best we can go on is the release of the Anthology Decades, a wholly different time period with a lot of releases.

              We're a bunch of nerds here, and some people have access to more information than what is largely available out there. Hell, If we can do it again, sending it to Michael is definitely a good idea. Also, he might be able to help us out as surely he knows a lot about the subject. It just wasn't "finished" before, and what I had was a result of gleaning as much information as I could over the course of a few years.
            • cyaron_efm
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21
                Here's one, though: ViTN shows 1977 for the recording date of Sorcerer, and I remember members here had established that the actual recording date was most likely early in 1976.
              • boyonthestairs
                Message 7 of 8 , May 21

                  Here's one, though: ViTN shows 1977 for the recording date of Sorcerer, and I remember members here had established that the actual recording date was most likely early in 1976.

                  Recording dates aren't points in time of course, they're periods, especially if you count by something like from composition to final mastering. I would expect several mid-80s works to be kind of meshed up with each other, really. Interview bits about Chris and Johannes complaining about churning out soundtracks in a bunch of weeks would suggest that actual albums took longer, and were probably interrupted by soundtracking at times. Le Parc sounds like a good candidate for this process in particular.

                  Composition-wise, some Sorcerer themes first turn up at London RAH 1976 IIRC, but that doesn't prove too much about the rest of the work: there are some themes of Cherokee Lane to be found already on the Ricochet tour, or bits of Logos appearing little by little already from 1980 on, or a pre-version of Dolphin Dance on The Soldier, or Story of the Brave on Arizona…

                  _j.
                • cyaron_efm
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 27
                    True, true. But we can still get a good idea about a period of a couple months when Sorcerer was probably done. Likewise in let's say 1984, we know that several OSTs were recorded then, and while we may never know with absolute certainty which came first, second, third, especially if they were done at around the same time, we could still get pretty close by looking at dates and then by listening to the sounds of them. For sure, at some level we'll always be estimating, but right now we don't have a good source that consolidates our best information from the recording date side of things.