Re: [tac-sac] Wednesday Quickie?

  • Jim Ster
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
      Hey Matt,

      I'm up for a half night on Wednesday. HGO sounds good to me too. I'll
      book the observatory and second your invitation to anyone who wants to come
      up as our guests. I'll probably just bring my 12".

      Clear Skies,
      Jim

      >Anyone interested in a half-night of observing Wednesday? Moonrise
      >isn't until 1:20 - I'll have switched from deepsky to Mars long before
      >then, anyway. Weather forecast is for a high building back in, with
      >winds dropping off Wednesday afternoon.
      >
      >I was thinking of going up to HGO; decision on bringing my own or
      >using the club scope will likely depend on how early a start I get
      >that evening. I'm an SVAS observatory member, and willing to
      >"sponsor" anyone on this list who's not, but would like to join me
      >there. Also open to Fiddletown if others prefer that destination.
      >Being midweek I'll probably be packing up at 1 or shortly after.
      >
      >-----
      >Matt Tarlach
      >Carmichael, CA
      >matttarlach@...

    • Randy Muller
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
        Matt Tarlach wrote:
        > Anyone interested in a half-night of observing Wednesday?

        Yup -- sounds good to me. I'll bring my 18" (with the truss poles
        this time) to HGO.
      • Jane E. Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
          I don't know if I'll be able to make it for sure. I'm in the middle of
          mounting my new finderscope on the secondary cage. I've run into a couple
          of glitches, but with any luck I'll have it finished tonight. If so, I'll
          join y'all for that Wednesday quickie. Hope to see you there.

          Jane

          At 11:14 AM 6/12/2001 -0700, you wrote:
          >Anyone interested in a half-night of observing Wednesday? Moonrise
          >isn't until 1:20 - I'll have switched from deepsky to Mars long before
          >then, anyway. Weather forecast is for a high building back in, with
          >winds dropping off Wednesday afternoon.
          >
          >I was thinking of going up to HGO; decision on bringing my own or
          >using the club scope will likely depend on how early a start I get
          >that evening. I'm an SVAS observatory member, and willing to
          >"sponsor" anyone on this list who's not, but would like to join me
          >there. Also open to Fiddletown if others prefer that destination.
          >Being midweek I'll probably be packing up at 1 or shortly after.
          >
          >-----
          >Matt Tarlach
          >Carmichael, CA
          >matttarlach@...

        • Jane E. Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
            Just finished mounting the finder and moving the quickfinder. It's
            absolutely peachy!

            See you at B.C. tomorrow night.

            Jane
          • Matt Tarlach
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
              OK, sounds like a nice little group, great! I see Jim has already
              marked the date on the SVAS-Observatory calendar. I'll probably bring
              the 6" newtonian I just finished putting together, and do some viewing
              with the 16" Ritchey also.

              See you all there!

              -----
              Matt Tarlach
              Carmichael, CA
              matttarlach@...
            • Randy Muller
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
                Matt Tarlach wrote:
                > OK, sounds like a nice little group, great!

                "little" is the right word for it. Looks like I'm shaping up to be
                K.S. of B.C. once again!

                (I sure hope I remember my truss poles!)
              • Allan Keller
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
                  I plan to be there too... in case you do forget your poles! ;-)
                  -Allan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 13, 2001
                    At 11:34 PM 6/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Matt Tarlach wrote:
                    >> OK, sounds like a nice little group, great!
                    >
                    >"little" is the right word for it. Looks like I'm shaping up to be
                    >K.S. of B.C. once again!

                    Oh Lord, looks like the B.S. at B.C. is gonna to get DEEP again tonight.
                    Guess I'd better wear my shorts.
                  • Jim Ster
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 13, 2001
                      At 08:31 AM 6/13/01 -0700, you wrote:
                      >At 11:34 PM 6/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
                      > >Matt Tarlach wrote:
                      > >> OK, sounds like a nice little group, great!
                      > >
                      > >"little" is the right word for it. Looks like I'm shaping up to be
                      > >K.S. of B.C. once again!
                      >
                      >Oh Lord, looks like the B.S. at B.C. is gonna to get DEEP again tonight.
                      >Guess I'd better wear my shorts.

                      Hip waders would be a much better choice! I think I'll bring a cat!

                    • shneor@dcn.davis.ca.us
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 13, 2001
                        Hope you guys have a blast - according to Starcast, HGO will in in
                        the "best" viewing area tonight (Thursday night also).
                        Clears,
                        Shneor
                      • Jane E. Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 13, 2001
                          No quickie for me tonight :( I'm zonked and the thought of making a 7
                          hour drive tomorrow afternoon with zip sleep is playing havoc on my
                          observing plans. Gonna have to beg out tonight and stay home and do my
                          laundry. Terrible bad form to show up at the parent's home with a basket
                          of dirty laundry. Hope you all have fun. Sorry to miss it.

                          Jane

                          PS: I'm wondering if all the smoke from the fires in the valley is going
                          to hurt your sky. Hope not.
                        • Randy Muller
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 14, 2001
                            Jane E. Smith wrote:
                            > PS: I'm wondering if all the smoke from the fires in the
                            > valley is going to hurt your sky. Hope not.

                            It didn't seem to. I was looking at B mag 15+ galaxies, although
                            they were darn hard to see.

                            Mars was Absolutely Fabulous when the seeing cooperated. It's huge!
                            Syrtis Major was very, very prominent in the dead center of the
                            globe. It was easily recognizable, without resorting to calculating
                            the Central Meridian.

                            (The seeing got really, really bad when Matt was standing in a
                            certain location south of me! It was pretty amusing when Matt made
                            the connection as I reported, "Wow! The seeing suddenly went really
                            bad!" and then a short time later, "Hey, it's back!")

                            We watched the ISS fly over the north, accompanied by another, much
                            fainter satellite nearby in a different orbit.

                            We watched a mag 0 or mag 1 Iridium flare in Leo. Thanks to Allan
                            for taking the time to make these predictions.

                            No Vandenberg launch, though!

                            Jim Ster (and sometimes everyone except me) got all excited about
                            some spectacular meteors that were allegedly being seen from time to
                            time.

                            It was fun looking at some of the stuff in the "Gottlieb 500" (Orion
                            Deep Map 600) through Jim's scope. When Jim was looking at NGC 5353,
                            that number rang a bell in my head, so I checked, and sure enough,
                            it's Hickson 68! I stumble across this one in my backyard with my
                            10" scope one magical night in 1998. It is a really nice one.

                            Imagine the nerve of Steve Gottlieb, sneaking a few Hicksons into the
                            Deep Map 600! Next thing you know, someone will report that NGC 3190
                            and its peers is also on the list! (That's Hickson 44).

                            The last of us rolled out at 2am. The fading light of a waning
                            yellow moon accompanied me home.

                            I did not forgot my truss poles, but I *almost* forgot my table,
                            chair and ladder.

                            I also neglected to allow for Daylight Savings when I checked the
                            sunset time. As a result, I arrived an hour early, and had some time
                            to contemplate the late afternoon scene at BC.

                            I also used the wrong day (June 13 instead of June 14) for
                            calculating when the moon would be up, so instead of rising at
                            1:20am, it rose at 1:47am.

                            (Art: This is not a report! A full-length one will appear appear
                            later. Or not.)
                          • Jim Ster
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 14, 2001
                              >Imagine the nerve of Steve Gottlieb, sneaking a few Hicksons into the
                              >Deep Map 600! Next thing you know, someone will report that NGC 3190
                              >and its peers is also on the list! (That's Hickson 44).

                              Yep. NGC 3190 is in there too!

                              -Jim