Re: baseball mogul 2007 updated very nice

  • ron house
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
      IVE ONLY PLAYED STRAT O MATIC BOARD GAME AND APBA COMPUTER GAME ,I LIKE THE ERNIE ANNOUNCING ,BUT AS FAR AS THE COMPUTER GAME OF APBA IF U DONT HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF THE APBA BOARD GAME THEN THE COMPUTER BASED GAME LEAVES YOU IN THE DARK ABOUT PERCENTAGE CHANCES OF SUCCESS IN VARIOUS ASPECTS OF THE GAME

      wilfredo anderson <wilfred512001@...> wrote:
      Well, I haven't  played APBA pc version but I do remember that on the Strat-o-Matic computer version demo, which Iplayed one time there is a simulated movement of the ball if my memory doesn't fails. I wanted to ask you if you ever played a magnetic baseball sold by the or through the Sears catalog--action packed although it
      was kind of needed perfection.
      sincerely
      wilfredo
      I do like Strat-o-matic- it introduced me to the dreams about baseball game although APBA is much more statistical accurate-have you played Pursue the Pennant or replay baseball ? which in your opinion is the best? But I tell you try baseball mogul 2007 updated and have you tried one of Derek Jeter(advertised as that)?

      ron house <pooheyonyou@ yahoo.com> escribió:
      THERE IS NO BALL MOVEMENT IN APBA COMPUTER BASED GAME,UNLESS IVE MISSED SOMETHING

      Tony DeCastro <decastro3@yahoo. com> wrote:
      I tried Baseball Mogul in one of it's earliest
      versions. Then it was mainly a GM-based game -
      concentrated on trading, salaries, and even the price
      of hot dogs in the stands. There was (as I remember)
      very little on field strategy game play in comparison
      to other game baseball sims/board games. Has this
      changed? I played around with Mogul for awhile, and
      it was interesting but in the end I found the drama of
      baseball on the field more fun to play in my free time
      than the drama in the front office.

      Tony

      --- wilfredo anderson <wilfred512001@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > Dear friends, I have tried several an d many baeball
      > board games-the latest I have tried is SBS version
      > 4.8.1
      > but YOU DONT SEE THE BALL AT ALL ----JUST THE
      > RESULT AND HEAR SOUNDS-BUT NO ROARING
      > from the stands----inthe APBA game there is an
      > individual roll of dice or in the windows version
      > you see the ball and the movement-I have not try
      > strat-o-matic game for windows BUT GIVE A TRY TO
      > BASEBALL MOGUL 2007
      > UPDATED-YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!
      > FROM wilfredo
      > wilfred512001@ yahoo.com

      > Correo Yahoo!
      > Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y
      > antispam ¡gratis!
      > Regístrate ya - http://correo. espanol.yahoo. com/

      "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

      We have the perfect Group for you. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups
      (http://groups. yahoo.com)

      Correo Yahoo!
      Regístrate ya - http://correo. espanol.yahoo. com/

    • Lou St. John
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
        apba more accurate than strat? that's definitely
        debatable.

      • Chris Hartjes
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hey Ron,

          Turn off your caps lock...nobody wants to be shouted at about the APBA computer game. ;)

          On 11/1/06, ron house < pooheyonyou@...> wrote:

          IVE ONLY PLAYED STRAT O MATIC BOARD GAME AND APBA COMPUTER GAME ,I LIKE THE ERNIE ANNOUNCING ,BUT AS FAR AS THE COMPUTER GAME OF APBA IF U DONT HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF THE APBA BOARD GAME THEN THE COMPUTER BASED GAME LEAVES YOU IN THE DARK ABOUT PERCENTAGE CHANCES OF SUCCESS IN VARIOUS ASPECTS OF THE GAME

          wilfredo anderson <wilfred512001@yahoo.com> wrote:
          Well, I haven't  played APBA pc version but I do remember that on the Strat-o-Matic computer version demo, which Iplayed one time there is a simulated movement of the ball if my memory doesn't fails. I wanted to ask you if you ever played a magnetic baseball sold by the or through the Sears catalog--action packed although it
          was kind of needed perfection.
          sincerely
          wilfredo
          I do like Strat-o-matic-it introduced me to the dreams about baseball game although APBA is much more statistical accurate-have you played Pursue the Pennant or replay baseball ? which in your opinion is the best? But I tell you try baseball mogul 2007 updated and have you tried one of Derek Jeter(advertised as that)?

          ron house <pooheyonyou@yahoo.com> escribió:
          THERE IS NO BALL MOVEMENT IN APBA COMPUTER BASED GAME,UNLESS IVE MISSED SOMETHING

          Tony DeCastro <decastro3@...> wrote:
          I tried Baseball Mogul in one of it's earliest
          versions. Then it was mainly a GM-based game -
          concentrated on trading, salaries, and even the price
          of hot dogs in the stands. There was (as I remember)
          very little on field strategy game play in comparison
          to other game baseball sims/board games. Has this
          changed? I played around with Mogul for awhile, and
          it was interesting but in the end I found the drama of
          baseball on the field more fun to play in my free time
          than the drama in the front office.

          Tony

          --- wilfredo anderson < wilfred512001@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends, I have tried several an d many baeball
          > board games-the latest I have tried is SBS version
          > 4.8.1
          > but YOU DONT SEE THE BALL AT ALL ----JUST THE
          > RESULT AND HEAR SOUNDS-BUT NO ROARING
          > from the stands----inthe APBA game there is an
          > individual roll of dice or in the windows version
          > you see the ball and the movement-I have not try
          > strat-o-matic game for windows BUT GIVE A TRY TO
          > BASEBALL MOGUL 2007
          > UPDATED-YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!
          > FROM wilfredo
          > wilfred512001@...

          > Correo Yahoo!
          > Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y
          > antispam ¡gratis!
          > Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/

          "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

          Correo Yahoo!

          Chris Hartjes

          "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
          -- Rasmus Lerdorf

          @TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
          @TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard
        • Tony DeCastro
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
            Wilfredo,

            I may check out a demo of Mogul. I am not sure what
            you are looking for in pitcher-batter interaction. I
            like Diamond Mind Baseball for computer sims. Its
            pitch-by-pitch mode give me the best feel of baseball.
            I an not concerned about graphics or sounds in my
            baseball game experience, but if those thing concern
            you Diamond Mind may not be your answer. For
            tabletop, I have been playing Replay Baseball, and
            have come to love it. There is some
            pitcher(fielder)-interaction that give a nice feel of
            baseball in my opinion.

            Tony

          • wilfredo anderson
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                   Dear friends who love baseball board and pc gaming;

                   I would like through this resource, to get opinions on
                   which is the most statistically accurate game--remember in the long run!! I would say in at least 80 games seasons or 100 games-I love strat-o-matic and apba games-they created on me a field ofdreams
              about playing baseball games-so I am indebted to them
              -the one thing I do like and admire in a baseball board game is its game parts and cards construction quality
              and superb style-colorful and brilliant or flashing!!
              I suggested some time ago to Strat-o-matic to make the cards on a more quality card board-they came with an edition of hall of fame cards-of a beauty and neatness
              I havent seen yet-I love it. Still strat-o-matic has a lot of play results that depend on the throw of ,e.g. double\1to6 triple 7to 20, when you have this system there is no wayit can be more accurate than the system in apba-whereby the results are flat and final- like 66= homerun ,25=a single--, ect, 14 =walk 13=k but  still apba has not come with the ever nemesis of rating the pitchers and not individual pitching cards like strat-o-matic. Can any body tell me if replay baseball or statis-pro are statistically accurate in the long run (100 games) has anyone gone to a long season with them?

              (http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta)

              Correo Yahoo!

            • Mark Nowlin
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                I think what Wilfredo might be talking about is pitch-by-pitch pitcher/batter interaction, where the pitcher offers the batter a certain type of pitch (fastball, changeup, curveball, etc) in a certain location (inside and high, down the middle, etc.) and then the batter either takes the pitch or uses a certain type of swing (hit up the middle, jerk down the line, swing for the fences, punch to opposite field, bunt, etc.) to try to hit it.

                The type and location of the pitch in combination with the type of swing would determine whether the batter hit the ball at all, to what location in the field, and how well (line drive, pop up, slow grounder, hard grounder, etc.)

                Is there any such tabletop game to anyone's knowledge?

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Perhaps I'm biased, but I like the IBL game (note: I am the commissioner of the IBL).  If you've ever played Pursue The Pennant then playing TIG is dead simple.  I feel we're the most accurate because not only do we create park-neutral cards (so you can take your favourite players and move them to different parks and get accurate results) but since we use the cards in a very competitive 24 team, 162 game league we're constantly tweak the game to make sure it plays out realisitcally.

                  Plus it's free to download.  Can't imagine a better deal.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                    i am far from understanding your logic as to why strat
                    is not as accurate as apba. are you saying that
                    because strat uses split results on certain dice
                    rolls, it's less accurate? wow -- that is just very
                    far from being right. strat could simply add another
                    die on EVERY roll instead of only certain rolls, but
                    in most cases this is not necessary -- hence the
                    decision to go with split results on only some rolls.
                    it makes for faster gameplay to only roll the extra
                    die as needed. also, it has been noted that it adds a
                    bit of excitement to the game -- will it be a double
                    or a homer? that kind of thing. it makes the game
                    more efficient, but it does not make the game less
                    accurate.

                    (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
                  • Mark Nowlin
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                      I have played Strat-O-Matic for about 35 years and have loved it. However lately there are aspects of it that disappoint me as far as realism goes.

                      Errors - I don't think even the super-advanced fielding charts (which get pretty cumbersome to use and look up in my opinion) permit as many errors as you would have in real life. Also, some players are much more inclined to make throwing errors than fielding errors, and vice versa. Shouldn't the players' fielding ratings reflect this? Errors happen in all plays: relay throws from the outfield, dropped throws at bases...SOM does not account for these. I think the World Series just ended showed as well as anything that SOM does not handle pitcher errors well....how would SOM handle a Joel Zumaya on a bunt throwing wildly to the wrong base to allow 2 runs to score?

                      Injuries - It's always bugged me that injuries occur in SOM only to hitters because of a somewhat random and completely description-less result on the batter card....for example, "strikeout plus injury"...did the batter pull a rib cage muscle swinging the bat? In real baseball, players get injured running the bases or sliding or chasing after balls in the outfield or running into walls or being knocked down or spiked in plays at the bases...pitcher injuries do not occur nearly as frequently as in real life...and what's with the limit to 20 games for the most serious injury? Where's "out for the season?" My friends and I have completely rewritten the injury rule in SOM. When an injury result comes up on a batter card, you have to roll to see if the injury occurred to either the batter or the pitcher. That makes it more fair and adds to the suspense. We even have a very rare "career-ending injury" result where you are forced to rip the player card to shreds right there on the spot. Now that's fun!

                      Runner advances: In today's game the leading base runner advances almost routinely on flyballs deep to the outfield. SOM does not account for this. A Flyball (A) is as rare as a shutout in US Cellular Field.

                      There's lots more shortcomings I can't list here. Does anyone else "enhance" Stratomatic with their own rules? Anyone care to share? Thanks, Mark

                    • garry
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                        hands down dynasty league baseball is the best sim out now...check it out at designdepot.com...they have everything that you can think of from rare plays to lefty righty averages...even robbing homeruns with above excellent outfielders...

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                          I can tell you all that I find something interesting in all these baseball board games
                          and pc gaming-but we should be able to set a criteria to determine the best ones:
                          I could suggest these ones :
                          1-quality of game boards-construction and durability,includes colorful and flashy
                          2-easiness of play-with playing time included here without sacrificing statistics.
                          3-average time of a normal game
                          4-statistic precision, including batters and pitchers-how close they come to
                          do quite the numbers they put the last season.
                          5-price-although I wont care paying for a good game any price at all!
                          5-games sold in the year-in a year
                          6-evaluation and approval ,recommendation by the MLB association
                          7-could we contact the MLB about this? anyone knows?
                          Based on this considerations-first for the board games I would rank apba baseball
                          with strat-o-matic quite on top---
                          I havent play replay nor dinasty-but I saw an example and a game would take quite a time to play and too many charts to look into-how about statis-pro ? anyone knows about playing time?
                          well ,lets hear the opinions of our be-loved fan players!!
                          wilfredo anderson
                          What about the negro leagues? Ihad a set sometime ago and the cards (apba)of
                          Oscar Charleston and Joshua Gibson were astounding in power!!

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                            Dear Lou, have you played a 162 season schedule or 100 games with the strat-o-matic board game--I am going to do the tryout myself to see if I am wrong-but
                            for example, in apba-if a player didnt hit a homerun in,lets say 300 at bats-this can be controlled quite good -almost complete-not like that in strat-o-matic because a
                            player who didnt hit a homerun coul hit one in the pitchers card-maybe I am wrong?
                            please correct me, if I am wrong
                            sincerely
                            wilfredo
                            but remember I love strat and apba both!!

                            (http://www.yahoo. com/preview)

                            Correo Yahoo!

                          • Lou St. John
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                              yes, that's certainly a weakness of the system that
                              they've tried to correct by including the weak hitter
                              provision. i thought what you wrote was that the fact
                              that strat uses split chance outcomes on some rolls
                              makes it less accurate than apba.

> [...]

                              > this
                              > > > changed? I played around with Mogul for awhile,
                              > > and
                              > > > it was interesting but in the end I found the
                              > > drama
                              > > > of
                              > > > baseball on the field more fun to play in my
                              > free
                              > > > time
                              > > > than the drama in the front office.
                              > > >
                              > > > Tony
                              > > >
                              > > > --- wilfredo anderson <wilfred512001@...>

                              > > > baeball
                              > > version
                              > > version
                              > try

                              > http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/
                              > >

                              > > > "You know we just don't recognize the most
                              > > > significant moments of our lives while they're
                              > > > happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll
                              > be
                              > > > other days. I didn't realize that that was the

                              === message truncated ===

                              Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
                              (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
                            • Paul Rhoades
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
                                Status Pro is by far my favorite baseball board game. A game usually
                                takes well under an hour to play, and all of the charts except the
                                outs and errors are printed on the board, so there is not a lot of
                                searching for play results. It is also relatively easy to make your
                                own card set if you are so inclined and access Lahman's, or similar
                                baseball statistics tables. As far as approval from MLBPA, however, I
                                read somewhere that a dispute over licensing is what did the game in.

                                Paul

                                --- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, wilfredo anderson
                                <wilfred512001@...> wrote:

                                > I can tell you all that I find something interesting in all these
                                baseball board games
                                > and pc gaming-but we should be able to set a criteria to determine
                                the best ones:
                                > I could suggest these ones :
                                > 1-quality of game boards-construction and durability,includes
                                colorful and flashy
                                > 2-easiness of play-with playing time included here without
                                sacrificing statistics.
                                > 3-average time of a normal game
                                > 4-statistic precision, including batters and pitchers-how close
                                they come to
                                > do quite the numbers they put the last season.
                                > 5-price-although I wont care paying for a good game any price at all!
                                > 5-games sold in the year-in a year
                                > 6-evaluation and approval ,recommendation by the MLB association
                                > 7-could we contact the MLB about this? anyone knows?
                                > Based on this considerations-first for the board games I would
                                rank apba baseball
                                > with strat-o-matic quite on top---
                                > I havent play replay nor dinasty-but I saw an example and a game
                                would take quite a time to play and too many charts to look into-how
                                about statis-pro ? anyone knows about playing time?
                                > well ,lets hear the opinions of our be-loved fan players!!
                                > wilfredo anderson
                                > What about the negro leagues? Ihad a set sometime ago and the
                                cards (apba)of
                                > Oscar Charleston and Joshua Gibson were astounding in power!!
                                >
                                > garry <suspence@...> escribió:
                                > hands down dynasty league baseball is the best sim out
                                now...check it out at designdepot.com...they have everything that you
                                can think of from rare plays to lefty righty averages...even robbing
                                homeruns with above excellent outfielders...

                              • Mike Boling
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  " What about the negro leagues?"

                                  Replay baseball did a Negro National League set for the 1923 season
                                  which is the best researched individual season for any Negro Leagues set
                                  out on the market. Other sets I know of are based on Negro League
                                  overall stats, not one season. It was meticulously researched over about
                                  a 5-6 year period by a SABR member and offered to Replay who glady did
                                  the set and also contributed part of the proceeds from their sales of
                                  the set to a Negro League survivors fund. Excellent set.

                                  In general, what you are looking for in a board game, any number of the
                                  games fit the bill to differing degrees. You're gong to find people's
                                  opinions vary wildy based on their personal likes and dislikes. That's
                                  fine! However, don't get into the pi$$ing contest over which game is
                                  more accurate and so on. Each of the major games on the market and many
                                  other lesser ones as well can produce accurate statistics. This list
                                  includes APBA, Strat-O-Matic, Replay ( I consider those the big 3) and
                                  also Dynasty as well as many older games like Negamco, BLM, or Statis
                                  Pro. Playability is a major consideration also. Some people swear by
                                  APBA, others Strat, it's all a matter of taste. I like for example one
                                  of the older games called Big League Manager or BLM. Others can't stand
                                  it. I love it. Why? It and Negamco were my first ventures into the
                                  hobby, so I'm familiar with them, and I like them. It's all a matter of
                                  what flies your kite, so when you get differing opinions, keep that in
                                  mind!

                                  Mike Boling
                                • Lou St. John
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
                                    my favorite is still all star baseball -- so what do i
                                    know? i've incorporated individualized pitching disks
                                    and use a 30-sided die roll and refer to results and
                                    strategy charts i painstakingly put together from my
                                    own research and from the baseball guru site. i do
                                    not use any individualized fielding -- which is a big
                                    sacrifice i've made for better playability. so,
                                    anyway, i'm not actually the big strat guy i probably
                                    sounded like before. asb, unaltered, is obviously
                                    very limited, but the disks are a great visual
                                    gimmick.

                                    (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
                                  • Tony DeCastro
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
                                      > I havent play replay nor dinasty-but I saw an
                                      > example and a game would take quite a time to play
                                      > and too many charts to look into-how about
                                      > statis-pro ?

                                      I play Replay (Classic version) in roughly 20-30
                                      minutes. I can't imagine a game playing much
                                      quicker...I can't imagine wanting a game to play much
                                      quicker. Like most of the games, it takes a few games
                                      under your belt, but once you're familiar with common
                                      results, options, etc. it moves very smoothly.

                                      I also love Strat-o-matic (board)and play it in about
                                      the same time. I usually play just the basic version
                                      of the game. It's the game I grew up with. Replay
                                      gets most of my playing these days, but that as much
                                      because it's new to me as anything else.

                                      I've never played APBA. I thought of buying it many
                                      times, but in looking into it, I've always been led to
                                      believe that pitchers are represented by only four
                                      different pitchers rating cards. I'm pretty sure that
                                      isn't true, but every time I look into the game I come
                                      away with that impression.

                                      Statis-Pro is a game I've alway wanted to try. And
                                      will probably look into when I feel like giving Replay
                                      a break.

                                      Tony

                                      (http://voice.yahoo.com)