Re: [Tabletop Baseball] IBL

  • Steve Booth
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello- I'm new to the board, but have been playing these games for
      years. If you don't mind, could you share with me the website this
      game is on?

      Thanks,

      Steve

      -- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hartjes
      <chartjes@g...> wrote:

      > The game is free because we (I'm the commissioner of the league
      that creates
      > the game) don't believe in charging for it...and want to share
      what we think
      > is the best game out there with anybody who wants to download it.
      >
      > All our seasons are available for free via our web site.
      >
      > On 12/30/05, trippztrippz <trippztrippz@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been an avid player of Pursue the Pennant and Dynasty
      Baseball
      > > over the years and have found it to be the most realistic and
      > > fascinating baseball simulation to date. However, I noticed
      that the
      > > IBL has been referenced several times in various messages and
      has been
      > > described as a PTP/Dynasty hybrid that is even more realistic so
      it
      > > obviously caught my attention. I am just wondering why the game
      is
      > > free as opposed to being sold on a season to season basis.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Tim
      > >

      > > Visit the Tabletop Baseball Website:
      > > http://www.geocities.com/tabletopbaseball
      > >
      > > Visit the Baseball Games Webring:
      > > http://d.webring.com/hub?ring=baseballgames;id=2;hub

      t=ms&k=Baseballs+games&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&w3=S
      tatis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=iK5eb1zwklOh_LurCubFbw
      > Baseball
      > > board game<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Baseball+board+game&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&
      w3=Statis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=0bZ0I7-fuEr8nMl-
      0kC23A> Statis
      > > pro baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Statis+pro+baseball&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&
      w3=Statis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=3OkpZQQlxo2UJhwNnNEogQ
      > Strat-o-matic
      > > baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&w3=Statis+pr
      o+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=g5X8YgiQqlGxeFLm2WCHJw
      > Apba
      > > baseball<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Apba+baseball&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&w3=Sta
      tis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
      matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=_RoHojCFjK7-
      8Xr4AqEPxw>
      l>"

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<tabletopbaseball-

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --
      > Chris Hartjes
      >
      > "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will
      never
      > have."
      > -- Rasmus Lerdorf
      >
      > @TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
      > @TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

    • Chris Hartjes
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2006
        Steve,

        It's over at www.ibl.org. If you are have problems finding the files,
        let me know as I'm the commissioner of the league.

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 7, 2006
          Wow. looks like a great game- reminds me of PTP. Can't wait to play
          it.

          - In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hrtjes <chartjes@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > w3=Statis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-

          matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=3OkpZQQlxo2UJhwNnNEogQ
          > > > Strat-o-matic

          matic+baseball&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&w3=Statis+pr
          > > o+baseball&w4=Strat-o-

          matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=g5X8YgiQqlGxeFLm2WCHJw
          > > > Apba

          t=ms&k=Apba+baseball&w1=Baseballs+games&w2=Baseball+board+game&w3=Sta
          > > tis+pro+baseball&w4=Strat-o-
          > > matic+baseball&w5=Apba+baseball&c=5&s=118&.sig=_RoHojCFjK7-
          > > 8Xr4AqEPxw>
          > > l>"

          > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<tabletopbaseball-

          Terms of

          > > > --
          > > > Chris Hartjes
          > > >
          > > > "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you

          Service.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 8, 2006
            We should have our MLB2005 card set ready for downloading at the beginning of April.

            wrote:

> [...]
            > >  >
            > >  > "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you
            will
            > >  never
            > >  > have."
            > >  > -- Rasmus Lerdorf
            > >  >
            > >  > @TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
            > >  > @TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard
            > >  >
            > >

            > >  Visit the Tabletop Baseball Website:
            > > http://www.geocities.com/tabletopbaseball
            > >
            > >  Visit the Baseball Games Webring:
            > >  http://d.webring.com/hub?ring=baseballgames;id=2;hub

            > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.

            > >  ________________________________
            > >

            > --
            > Chris Hartjes
            >
            > "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will

            Baseballs games Baseball board game Statis pro baseball
            Strat-o-matic baseball Apba baseball

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            Chris Hartjes

            "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
            -- Rasmus Lerdorf

            @TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
            @TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard
          • presterjohn72000
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
              Maybe I do have a mental block on this thing. I downloaded the card
              sets from the IBL and will print them when I have some time. I
              couldn't find the game instructions. It says they're there, but I
              couldn't find them. To be honest the game looks a little complicated,
              but I guess it becomes easier once you have a few games in.

              I looked through the IBL results and noticed that the ERAs were pretty
              high. It seems that the game is offense heavy which is the thing I
              was worried about. Is that true?

              Don't get me wrong you it seems the people involved have done some
              great work and it's the best organized league I've ever seen by far.
            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
                No offense to IBL, but if you want essentially the
                same game with excellent charts, cards, rules and you
                name it you are better to stick with Dynasty. They
                have 3 Greatest Teams Seasons with teams ranging from
                the 1906 Cubs to the 2002 Angels. They have other old
                sets such as 1957, 1970, 1971 and continue to create
                additional past sets each year. Their website is
                designdepot.com and the creator of the game is Mike
                Csielinski. He is a great guy and I believe his game
                is unparallelled. Give it a try. You won't be
                disappointed.

                Thanks,

                Tim

                Tim Chase
                Home Phone (618) 345-4714
                Email address: trippztrippz@...

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Chris Hartjes
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
                  We (I say we because I'm the commissioner of the league) are revamping
                  the instructions and they should be going up in the next few days.
                  They were old, outdated, and needed clarification in some areas.

                  If you have any questions, you can always send me an off-list email at
                  commish@... and I'll be happy to answer any questions. I wouldn't
                  take too much stock in the ERA's in the league being representative of
                  the cards overall. After all, it's just one simulated season out of a
                  potential thousand. :) Offense is higher in the IBL because (a) we're
                  a 24-team DH league and (b) since we know what the cards are like we
                  can optimize our lineups to get the best matchups.

                  --
                  Chris Hartjes

                  "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
                  -- Rasmus Lerdorf

                  @TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
                  @TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard
                • Thomas Mills
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
                    Did you download IBL from the Tabletop-sports.com
                    site? I believe the instructions are similar if not
                    the same to Pursue the Pennant's rules.
                    tmills

                    --- presterjohn72000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > Maybe I do have a mental block on this thing. I
                    > downloaded the card
                    > sets from the IBL and will print them when I have
                    > some time. I
                    > couldn't find the game instructions. It says
                    > they're there, but I
                    > couldn't find them. To be honest the game looks a
                    > little complicated,
                    > but I guess it becomes easier once you have a few
                    > games in.
                    >
                    > I looked through the IBL results and noticed that
                    > the ERAs were pretty
                    > high. It seems that the game is offense heavy which
                    > is the thing I
                    > was worried about. Is that true?
                    >
                    > Don't get me wrong you it seems the people involved
                    > have done some
                    > great work and it's the best organized league I've
                    > ever seen by far.

                    Is this a great country or what!? Remember, there are many ways by
                    which a man may fall, but only by which he may stand.
                    -G. K. Chesterton
                  • Chris Hartjes
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
                      I know there are a lot of DLB supporters out there, and I've played
                      DLB and found it to be a good solid game. But to me, the IBL game is
                      (a) better and (b) much more affordable. Instrusctions are missing
                      because we're rewriting them right now and I'll be glad to send a copy
                      to anyone who wants them before they go up on our web site.

                      Both games may have a common ancestor in Pursue the Pennant, but both
                      games are very different now.

                      The only reason we haven't produced card sets from older seasons is
                      that the design team is made up of volunteers. Every year we get
                      closer and closer to making the card building process automated. Once
                      we get that all done, then we'll definitely look into some older card
                      sets.

                      Say what you like about the IBL game, but you can't beat the price. :)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 16, 2006
                        I'd love to have a copy of the rules.
                        tm

                        --- Chris Hartjes <chartjes@...> wrote:

                        > I know there are a lot of DLB supporters out there,
                        > and I've played
                        > DLB and found it to be a good solid game. But to
                        > me, the IBL game is
                        > (a) better and (b) much more affordable.
                        > Instrusctions are missing
                        > because we're rewriting them right now and I'll be
                        > glad to send a copy
                        > to anyone who wants them before they go up on our
                        > web site.
                        >
                        > Both games may have a common ancestor in Pursue the
                        > Pennant, but both
                        > games are very different now.
                        >
                        > The only reason we haven't produced card sets from
                        > older seasons is
                        > that the design team is made up of volunteers.
                        > Every year we get
                        > closer and closer to making the card building
                        > process automated. Once
                        > we get that all done, then we'll definitely look
                        > into some older card
                        > sets.
                        >
                        > Say what you like about the IBL game, but you can't
                        > beat the price. :)
                        >
                        > On 4/16/06, Tim Chase <trippztrippz@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > No offense to IBL, but if you want essentially
                        > the
                        > > same game with excellent charts, cards, rules and
                        > you
                        > > name it you are better to stick with Dynasty.
                        > They
                        > > have 3 Greatest Teams Seasons with teams ranging
                        > from
                        > > the 1906 Cubs to the 2002 Angels. They have
                        > other old
                        > > sets such as 1957, 1970, 1971 and continue to
                        > create
                        > > additional past sets each year. Their website is
                        > > designdepot.com and the creator of the game is
                        > Mike
                        > > Csielinski. He is a great guy and I believe his
                        > game
                        > > is unparallelled. Give it a try. You won't be
                        > > disappointed.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Tim
                        > >

                        > > Tim Chase
                        > > Home Phone (618) 345-4714
                        > > Email address: trippztrippz@...

                        > protection around
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        > >

                        > > Visit the Tabletop Baseball Website:
                        > > http://www.geocities.com/tabletopbaseball
                        > >
                        > > Visit the Baseball Games Webring:
                        > >
                        > http://d.webring.com/hub?ring=baseballgames;id=2;hub

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                        > >
                        > > ________________________________
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Chris Hartjes
                        >
                        > "The greatest inefficiencies come from solving
                        > problems you will never have."
                        > -- Rasmus Lerdorf
                        >
                        > @TheBallpark -
                        > http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
                        > @TheKeyboard -
                        > http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

                        Is this a great country or what!? Remember, there are many ways by
                        which a man may fall, but only by which he may stand.
                        -G. K. Chesterton
                      • Scotty Ray
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 17, 2006
                          I would like a copy of the rules when they are ready, please.
                          Anyone else in Alaska besides me?

                          Scotty

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 19, 2006
                            The ERA explanation makes sense and of course you're right about the
                            price for IBL. Why don't you post the rules in the files section when
                            they're ready? It seems a few of us are interested. I think if you
                            start producing past seasons you'll definately have people like me
                            sold. Playing the old teams is a great way to learn about baseball
                            history. I now understand WHY the 1927 Yankees were so good. The
                            other thing I picked up on was the 1929-1930 A's were almost as good.
                          • dirk4three41
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                              Chris,

                              In your view, other than price <g>, what makes IBL better than DLB
                              (in other words, in terms of game design)? Note: This is an honest
                              question. I do not have a vested interest in either game. I'm just
                              trying to research both games and determine the key differences in
                              game design that separate these otherwise similar games.

                              It's obvious, for instance, that there is more granularity in outcomes
                              off the cards in IBL and that fielding ratings are broader.

                              --- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hartjes" <chartjes@...
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > I know there are a lot of DLB supporters out there, and I've played
                              > DLB and found it to be a good solid game. But to me, the IBL game
                              is
                              > (a) better and (b) much more affordable. Instrusctions are missing
                              > because we're rewriting them right now and I'll be glad to send a
                              copy
                              > to anyone who wants them before they go up on our web site.
                              >
                              > Both games may have a common ancestor in Pursue the Pennant, but
                              both
                              > games are very different now.
                              >
                              > The only reason we haven't produced card sets from older seasons is
                              > that the design team is made up of volunteers. Every year we get
                              > closer and closer to making the card building process automated.
                              Once
                              > we get that all done, then we'll definitely look into some older
                              card
                              > sets.
                              >
                              > Say what you like about the IBL game, but you can't beat the price.
                              :)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                I'm actually 20 games into a Pedro Martinez 'pitcher replay' for the
                                2000 season. Even at this point, the stats are very close. It looks
                                as though I might exceed HRs and BBs allowed slightly (Dynasty has a
                                pitcher rating that will block certain BB results on the batter's card
                                and that has helped reduce BBs).

                                --- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, presterjohn72000 <no_reply@.
                                ..> wrote:

                                > The ERA explanation makes sense and of course you're right about the
                                > price for IBL. Why don't you post the rules in the files section
                                when
                                > they're ready? It seems a few of us are interested. I think if you
                                > start producing past seasons you'll definately have people like me
                                > sold. Playing the old teams is a great way to learn about baseball
                                > history. I now understand WHY the 1927 Yankees were so good. The
                                > other thing I picked up on was the 1929-1930 A's were almost as
                                good.

                              • Chris Hartjes
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 5, 2006
                                  Hi Dirk,

                                  I think the one thing that we do better than DLB is in creating cards that are park neutral by applying park factors to more than just home runs.  We apply park factors based on the number of PA a batter or pitcher actually had in that particular park instead of the traditional methods of applying one general park factor to results, adjusting for the fact that they only play 1/2 their games in that park.  That way we feel like you can expect accurate results from a player if they were to move from playing in Chavez Ravine to playing in Fenway.  Since we play a full 162 game season in the IBL with 24 teams, not nailing down the little details of replicating results become very noticable.

                                  I can't speak for what else Mike C. does every year.  Does he tweak his cards based on testing?  The IBL is our test bed for any changes that we make and we are constantly tweaking things trying to make sure that we are producing as realistic results as possible.  We usually aim to duplicate the results from the previous season in the AL since we are a DH-only league.  The hardest part is figuring out good ways to capture extreme performances, especially by pitchers who walk a very low amount of batters per 9 innings.

                                  We're constantly fighting the battle of easy game play vs. accuracy and I think we've gotten to a good point.  Any more complexity and game times start to creep up higher and reduce the enjoyment of the game.  As a former Strat player I can appreciate the work that has gone into making Strat-O-Matic both accurate and fast to play.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 5, 2006
                                    Dynasty rules!! Mike Csielinski is a genius!!!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 5, 2006
                                      Chris,

                                      Thanks for the response! It's clear that park effects play a more
                                      prominent role in the IBL game than in Dynasty.

                                      I have noticed, for instance, that in addition to a Park? result on
                                      both pitcher and hitter cards not present in Dynasty, the Deep Fly
                                      range on the pitchers' cards are invariably larger in IBL than in
                                      Dynasty (and the straight HR result on batters' cards smaller).

                                      Here's a (naive) thought/question regarding park effects: Since the
                                      Park? result in IBL has the same fixed probability of occurring for
                                      each player (and the Park? results are independent of the player's
                                      ability, unlike DF results which are tied to a player's power rating),
                                      can you account for the fact that park effects affect some players
                                      than others--e.g., not even all Rockies players have dramatic home/
                                      road splits. Would it make sense, or even be possible, to incorporate
                                      a Park? effect that is not fixed but variable, much as the Range?
                                      effects are on the pitchers' cards vary a bit by individual pitcher,
                                      in order to reflect the differential impact of park effects?

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                        Dirk,

                                        I don't think we've ever discussed making the Park? values on a card variable depending on the hitter or pitcher, but my personal opinion is that you may be getting to the point of diminishing returns.  Also, calculating individual park factors for every player would be very time consuming.  This is a volunteer effort after all. :)

                                        I think the idea behind all our park factoring work is to try and create cards that we think would represent a player's output in a neutral park against average opposition.  I'm not sure that a sliding range of Park? chances would give us significantly more accuracy.  At some point you have to say "we've gotten as close as we think we can while still making it playable".

                                        If you're really interested in a lot of what goes into the design of the game I can add your email address to our design team mailing list.  It's very low traffic except for the December to March time period where we start to discuss any proposed changes to the cards and how we would go about implementing those changes.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                          Chris,

                                          Thanks again for replying. I definitely see your point about
                                          diminishing returns. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to
                                          game design issues, so I was more or less just thinking out loud.
                                          What motivated my question was the fact that results that are not at
                                          all tied to a player's individual tendencies make me a little
                                          uncomfortable.

                                          I've actually already bugged you once before about a game design issue
                                          <g> and you had added me to the mailing list at that time.