The Philosophical Base-Ball Association

  • The Exile
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2012
      I have, for the last several years, run my own dice baseball association comprised of two leagues and, inspired by the Cosmic Baseball Association, with teams composed of movie characters, philosophers, unstable atomic isotopes, 50s atomic test devices and so forth. I use a table devised by sportswriter Jeff Sagarin based loosely on Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh, Prop. and devised from composite Major League statistics from 1946-1960. It has worked rather well for me and I can burn through a game in about 10-15 minutes.

      I have played seven seasons with my Allegorical and Notional Leagues —12 teams total— and am now about to commence my sixth annual Transcendental Series tournament. Game 1 —first qualifier round— starts off this Monday, pitting the Utopia Philosophes and Hanford Isotopes of the AL against one another. John Locke will be on the mound for Utopia, while Hanford's hurler will be Strontium-90.
    • The Exile
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
        The seventh Transcendental Series got underway today at the Elysian Fields, neutral site for the tournament, with the Game 1 matchup between Allegorical League qualifiers 14-10-0 Utopia Philosophes (famous philosophers) v. the 12-11-1 Hanford Isotopes (unstable atomic elements).

        The Isotopes scored in the bottom of the 1st off Radon-219's sac grounder, but the Philosophes would come back to tie in the second and then went ahead 2-1 on Marcus Aurelius' RBI double. The score held until the 9th inning when Georg William Fredrich Hegel blew the save and allowed the tying run on a sac bunt tapped out by Fermium-250. Going to extra innings, Hegel got into a bases-loaded jam in the 11th and was on the verge of losing the game when Utopia manager Confucius rushed Thomas Hobbes into emergency relief. Hobbes got two quick outs to force the game to the twelfth, when Utopia scored two runs off a single by Fredrich Wilhelm Nietzche and a 2-out RBI double by Henry David Thoreau. Hobbes then closed out the game, allowing only a single but no runs, and Utopia took the 4-2 win in twelve innings. The Philosophes now advance to meet the league leading 15-9-0 Los Alamos Nukes (50's atomic test devices) while Hanford slips down to the first loser's bracket to await the loser of game three for a chance to get back into the tournament. Hobbes is credited with the win, Uranium-235 tagged with the loss, with no-decisions registered for starters John Locke and Strontium-90.

        The Transcendental Series is a double-elimination tournament, somewhat like the College World Series, and entertains a field of six teams from the two leagues in a competition of 10-11 games. The series is expected to run through to next Thursday at the latest, with a break on Sunday just prior to the league championship semifinals.

        Tomorrow's game 2: the opening Notional League qualifier round between the n.2 Sussex Vampyres (15-9-0) and the n.3 Respublica Senators (13-10-1). Barnabas Collins - a pitcher who has struggled the last three years but won the Vampyres' most critical game three weeks ago to ensure his team's trip to Elysium - takes the mound for Sussex. Starting for Respublica is the Roman Marcus Tullius Cicero.
      • The Exile
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
          This is basically the game I've been playing for the last several years. Other than a couple of tweaks to customise it to my tastes, it's the basis for the games played by the Philosophical Base-Ball Association:

          http://sagarin.com/sports/dice.htm
        • Ed Hlywa
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2012
            Looks pretty cool,
            3 dice, two pages of instructions and a scoresheet and I can have fun for hours without SOM cards and charts!

            I'm a confused about the "Long" and "Medium" concept. What is a "Long" and/or Medium"?

            I got a feeling that when I get this answer, I'll be asking another.

            Ed