Statis Pro Baseball Online

  • johngoecken
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hello,

      It's been a little over 10 years since I've made a contribution to the Statis Pro community so this is long overdue. Some of you may be familiar with the JG Games name (most probably aren't), back in '98 I put together SPTP(Statis Pro The Pennant) which was a combination of Statis Pro Baseball and Pursue the Pennant. I believe it's still floating around some Yahoo group download section somewhere. It had righty/lefty on each batter card and incorporated the deep fly chart and wall distances. I've seen some people talk about this lately on the board so that old file may be able to help(I've got it somewhere if anybody wants it). In the past 10 years I've made excel spreadsheets that create my cards but I usually don't create the cards since I had no one in the area to play against and little time to play. I used to play all the time but my fellow Statis Pro players now live far away. With that being said I finally sat down and created something that hopefully will be beneficial to all of us. I bring you Statis Pro Baseball ONLINE!

      I wrote a pc program to play Statis Pro Baseball and with desktop sharing software like Skype it is possible and pretty fun. I'm pretty confident this is the best and most entertaining way to play Statis Pro Baseball over the internet. I tried to make the game as interactive as possible but still have it automate some things so gameplay could be fast. Furthurmore I made it as customizable as possible so people can create leagues and cater it towards their league. The things you can customize are....
      1) Team names - You can use custom team names, stadium and city.
      2) Team logos - You can create your own logo and use it in the game. Templates are included.
      3) Lineups - You can create your own lineups from a player file and save and import them.
      4) Team Sheets - Team sheets are a sheet of 15 player cards that you can customize and print out. You can create it and send it to a friend so you both are looking at the same cards during game play.
      5) Data Files - The data files are the pitcher and batter data from the statis pro cards. This means you can create your own data files (or use somebody elses) every year and the game will always be up to date.
      6) Scoresheet symbols - The symbols on the scoresheet can be customized. For example I just use "---" as out in the scoresheet boxes. If you want to get more specific and use "F9" or "G6" you can.

      I put some screenshots in the photos section to show that all of this is not a very late april fools joke. A few of the screens are self explanatory like the team select and lineup select screen. The game play screen shows the most. On the gamescreen you can...
      1) Make substitutions.
      2) Keep track of SR RR rating.
      3) Fill in linescore (you just put inning score in, program calculates total).
      4) Fill in scoresheet (program calculates AB, H then puts hits in Linescore).
      5) View game charts.
      6) Baserunners.
      7) Flip FAC cards (cards are exact numbers used in original game and duplicate cards are not used until all cards have been used, this emulates real gameplay)
      8) View the game scoreseet and print it.
      9) And hopefully more....

      I tested the game last night with a friend of mine in Colorado (I live in Missouri) and it worked great. I started the game and shared my desktop through skype and we spoke over skype while both looking at the same set of printed out team sheets. The only bad thing about it is that the person who runs the game on his pc and shares his desktop has to do all the work. The person who joins is limited to looking at the printed cards, following along by viewing the screen and giving instructions to the game controller like "He'll swing", "Infield In", "I'm gonna steal" or "I'm gonna change my pitcher". The game took us about 30 minutes but that was our first time playing and it took a little getting used to (even though I created it).

      The games intent was to make playing Statis Pro Baseball online as easy as possible and as customizable as possible because we all know that people like to play different ways (different rules, rosters). I have templates for creating a lot of the custom data in the game so hopefully this can be beneficial and others can contribute by creating custom data files or even writing tutorials or documentation (I hate writing documentation, even this long post is killing me).

      With all this being said, I'm not telling everyone about this trying to make a buck. This will all be free, even Skype is free. I could easily make it without MLB names and logos and try to sell it but I don't care about the money, don't get me wrong if you think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread and want to send me a few backs through paypal so I can buy a beer then I won't refuse but that is not necessary. Also, I've seen a lot of people through the years create cards and distribute them for free so this is my contribution and thanks to them because I'm sure I've downloaded some of those cards. The best way to stir up interest is to make it free and easy. I've created a yahoo group called "spb_online" that doesn't tell much more than what I've posted here but I created it so people can upload custom files and find players to play. Eventually the group will be the home for the install file but it is currently not there. After testing I will post it.

      I really hope that this is just the springboard to the whole thing. If I can get all the bugs out of this program (and there are some) and keep the pc part of it going it would be great to have everyone join in and do the data aspect of it (create rosters, data files, team sheets). I DO NOT have all the time in the world to program new things for this (it took me 10 years to get this far) but I will try to do as much as I can. I have some other ideas for the game that hopefully I will be able to add (time permitting).

      I will need people to test installation of the game. It currently works on my pc but installing it on someone else's pc is a whole different animal. If anyone would like to test it respond to this and I will try to put together and install file. The person I send the install to should downoad Skype, install it and get an ID. All of it is free.

      I'm starting to get carpal tunnel so I better wrap this up. Thanks for reading

      John G.
      JG Games

      ===
      Tabletop Baseball Games - http://tabletopbaseball.org/
    • johngoecken
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
        Hello,

        I just wanted to let everybody know that Statis Pro Baseball Online is complete and ready for download at "www.statisprobaseballonline.com". There is a free 3 inning demo on the website that includes 2 teams. There is also a custom file to download for those two teams just to show everyone how the game can be customized. For more information about the game you can check out the FAQ section on the site. If you would like to purchase the full version you can do that in the downloads area also. Future enhancements will include the ability to store multiple seasons and hopefully a player creator.

        It's been tested but if you find some bugs please report them to the site. The website is complete except for the members area which will be a work in progress for the next few months. Currently the members area only has downloads of the full version and a full 2009 custom file.

        Download it, try it, play it, I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to playing some games online against you.

        -Statis Pro Baseball Online

        --- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, "johngoecken" <johngoecken@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I will need people to test installation of the game. It currently works on my pc but installing it on someone else's pc is a whole different animal. If anyone would like to test it respond to this and I will try to put together and install file. The person I send the install to should downoad Skype, install it and get an ID. All of it is free.
        >
        > I'm starting to get carpal tunnel so I better wrap this up. Thanks for reading

      • Rick S.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
          John,
          I tried the trial version, but could not see the player cards displayed on the game board. The pitcher cards were blacked out, and I wasn't sure where the batter cards would have been. The FAC flipped just fine, but that's all I could do, was flip cards. Maybe it didn't load correctly. Any ideas?
          Rick

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
            Rick,

            There was a bug that I fixed. I had the image color of the cards set incorrectly so they came out black. It's fixed. Please download the file again and see if that works for you. As for batters cards, they only show up in lineup selection and making substitutions. During gameplay you should read the batters cards off of the teamsheets. You can read the instructions for more information on creating teamsheets. The current teamsheets are in the Rosters folder, you can print them off there.

            --- In tabletopbaseball@yahoogroups.com, "Rick S." <yamo912002@...> wrote:

            > John,
            > I tried the trial version, but could not see the player cards displayed on the game board. The pitcher cards were blacked out, and I wasn't sure where the batter cards would have been. The FAC flipped just fine, but that's all I could do, was flip cards. Maybe it didn't load correctly. Any ideas?
            > Rick

          • Erin
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
              Hi,

              I'm considering purchasing SPBO and wanted to solicit some opinions. I don't have time to participate in season replays and would mostly want to play one-off games when I have time. Also, it would appear that Skype is helpful but not necessary. Personally, I'd rather not do live-voice, but would rather communicate via typing.

              So, the question: is this feasible, would I have much luck finding opponents given these preferences, and would I get my money's worth out of the deal? I do create homebrew cards using one of the excel creators out there, and like to play a variety of times from any era, so I'm not limited there.

              Any feedback would be much appreciated.

              Thanks,
              Erin

              ===