2-5's not worthless after all

  • Bongo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      Stage III of my Great Teams League using Statis Pro; 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers at home against the 1988 Oakland A's. Forced to make his first start, 2-5 Steve Ontiveros (1-0) held the Dodgers (9-19) scoreless until two were out in the 9th when Gil Hodges spoiled his shutout with a homerun (4th). The A's (12-16) pounded Johnny Podres (0-1) and three relievers 11-1. Neither team will advance out of this 56 game segment because of weak starting pitching, but it was definitely a blast to watch Ontiveros' gem unfold.

      ===
      Baseball Board Games - http://tabletopbaseball.org/
    • The Oddfather
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2010
        Interesting. I love hearing about such things.

        2-5s aren't the least bit worthless, of course. Some of the wilder and more interesting games I've ever had involved 2-5s. I once had Tommy Thomas of the 1934 Washington Senators take a no-hitter into the 8th against the St Louis Browns (I was playing the 1934 season at the time). For the record, he ended up losing the game 3-1.

        You just never know what the great FAC gods have in store for you :^)

        Scottie