SERVICES - Supermarket Savvy Tours

  • Elana Kideckel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      * Are you totally frustrated walking into Israeli supermarkets?
      * What are all those percentages on dairy products?
      * What is the Israeli equivalent of my favorite _________(you fill in the blank)?
      * How do I read Israeli food labels?
      * What is trans fat? (o.k., that's not only an Israeli food issue, but we'll be going into healthy nutrition principles, also).

      The questions go on and on. If any of this relates to you you're in for a surprise.

      The new "Welcome to Israel-Supermarket Savvy Tour" will make your grocery chopping a pleasant experience rather than a totally frustrating one. Guided by a registered dietitian (olah vatika), and based on the hugely successful "Supermarket Savvy" nutrition based program in the U.S., the Welcome to Israel-Supermarket Savvy Tour provides clear explanations and translations of unfamilar foods, aisle by aisle with nutrition tips, written handouts and other surprises.

      This is a series of 2 separate tours of approximately 1-1 1/2 hr each, 1 week apart. The first tour includes an explanations of food labels (U.S. and Israeli), dairy section; and breads and grains. The second tour covers fruits and vegetables-fresh, frozen, canned and dried-and meat, poultry and fish-fresh, frozen and canned. All this for only NIS 75 for one tour or NIS 135 if participating in both tours. A mimumum of 3 participants is needed for the tour to take place.

      Have you just been diagnosed with high cholesterol or diabetes? Want to lose weight and are confused by all the "diet" foods? What about all the infant formulas and baby foods? Customized special diet private tours are available, with emphasis on the foods that can become a regular part of your diet while showing you how to tell which foods should be avoided. Contact me if interested.

      Although generally intended for new olim, anyone is welcome to participate (date of aliyah will not be checked!). The tours will be conducted in English. Any questions regarding tour content or registrations fees, feel free to contact me.

      The tours are currently being conducted in the Bet Shemesh/Ramat Bet Shemesh area and soon (B"H) will start in Modiin and Efrat. If you are interested in participating in a tour in your area, please send an e-mail to the address below with location, day and time preferences (1st and 2nd choice). As long as there is a minimum of 3 participants, I'll be happy to set up a tour in your area.

      Elana Kideckel, M.S., R.D.
      Clinical Dietitian
      050-7226240
      kideckel@...