Re: ttrak.wikidot.com

  • Robert Myers
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 8, 2011
      bj,

      > I do not believe the world wide T-Trak
      > inventory is as static as you portray.

      It's not that I feel that the world of table top modular railroading (no
      tm) is static, it's that I believe that the _pages_ themselves are
      fairly static. Once you post the information, it's not likely to get
      changed very often, if at all.

      Anyone who has followed my history with this list should know that I'm a
      big fan of openness and sharing knowledge and experience. So, I wish
      this project success as an avenue to this, even if I'm somewhat
      skeptical of the value what I see as primarily a database of what we've
      built.

      Bob

      ps. Hardly static inventory in my case. I'm in the design or
      construction phase of another six modules, as well as refreshing or
      significant changes on several others.

      RM
    • Jeffrey Reynolds
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 8, 2011
        bob,

        the wiki can be as active as you want it to be or as changeable as
        your modules are. putting up pictures of your module as it evolves
        would even further enrich this resource of ttrak modules.

        others may just want to put up pictures of their finished modules. and
        they just stay that way.

        the main thing that is good that it is a data base so there is one
        great centralized place for folks to see what others have done out
        there and get inspired. right now there are bits and pieces spread all
        over the place in folks websites, blogs and photo albums. all of these
        are great resources, but for the newbies they are scattered to the 4
        corners and each has their own structure, nav, content, etc which
        makes it even more difficult for a newbie or folks that are not good
        internet rooters.

        the other great thing about the data base is that it will make it
        easier for folks to slice and dice all the modules by their own
        interested easily, ie time period, place, type (industry, main line
        etc), country, etc. this is always a big plus as the public is broad
        and different folks are looking for different things.

        you have been doing ttraks for a long time so yes you might not have a
        burning desire to see a lot of other's modules, but newbies are
        especially the ones to benefit from having one source to easily see
        the huge range of things folks have done to get them going. also i
        think seeing what is out there will also be good for those doing ttrak
        now as it will spur folks to be more unique and give better range to
        what folks do on their modules or take a regular thing and give it a
        new spin.

        cheers

        jeff

        On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Robert Myers wrote:

        > It's not that I feel that the world of table top modular railroading
        > (no
        > tm) is static, it's that I believe that the _pages_ themselves are
        > fairly static. Once you post the information, it's not likely to get
        > changed very often, if at all.
        >
        > Anyone who has followed my history with this list should know that
        > I'm a
        > big fan of openness and sharing knowledge and experience. So, I wish
        > this project success as an avenue to this, even if I'm somewhat
        > skeptical of the value what I see as primarily a database of what
        > we've
        > built.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > ps. Hardly static inventory in my case. I'm in the design or
        > construction phase of another six modules, as well as refreshing or
        > significant changes on several others.
        >
        > RM

      • Jeff Faust
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 9, 2011
          --- In t-trak@yahoogroups.com, "vmct00" <vmct00@...> wrote:

          > I'm sorry you had login issues but we cannot do anything about that as
          > that is a function of the wikidot owners. However, from the site I see
          > that you were able to login this evening and added your club and
          > pictures for three modules!

          I finally got it figured out, obviously. Moral: don't try to link it to your Facebook login. After my last post here, I set up a non-linked Wikidot account, and was on my way ten minutes later. As I'm sure you've noticed, I've got my entire T-Trak inventory posted now.

          I do like the way things can be linked and searched for--there are some nifty organizational tools that the Yahoo group site lacks. And I'll side with those that say that information is not exactly static. Our club has changed locations three times in as many years, and changed at least one officer annually (and some former officers have been, shall we say, less than cooperative about passing things along to successors). Things change constantly. I can see a place for Wikidot in the T-Trak scene.

          Two questions...

          1) is there anything to prevent me from creating a few pages on module construction techniques and linking them to my module pages? Sure, site organization is centered around clubs, members, and modules, but why limit ourselves?

          2) Some tools to organize a multi-club show would be extremely cool! Imagine: show coordinator puts out the call for participants, people respond with lists of modules, coordinator gets a master list with specs for all available modules, and plans the layout from there. Does Wikidot provide any means of doing something like this?

          Keep up the good work. This is a positive development for T-Trakers everywhere.

          --Jeff
        • vmct00
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 9, 2011
            My last message took about 48 hours to hit the forum from the time I
            submitted it so who knows if this will be timely or not. On Saturday,
            10 Dec, ttrak.wikidot.com will be one month old. In the past 30 days we
            have progressed from nothing to over 130 modules and 40 T-Trak clubs.

            If you tried to add content (members, modules) before the first of this
            week you were likely frustrated by the process. We have made some
            significant changes this past week to ease content addition for
            identified clubs. We've also made it easy for individuals to add
            pictures of their modules.

            If you know of a T-Trak club we do not have listed speak up and we'll
            get it added (or feel free to add it yourself). Don't worry about
            messing anything up, just add what you can. There are several of us
            (and that group continues to grow) that monitor the wiki and make
            corrections where needed.

            We want to see pictures of your modules. We want to see pictures of
            your layouts and events. Please share them. Thanks!

            --- In t-trak@yahoogroups.com, "vmct00" <vmct00@...> wrote:

            > The wiki (http://ttrak.wikidot.com) was sort of announced before we
            were ready so be sure to check it again if you looked at it a week ago.
            We've had a couple of early adopters that are adding content (Thanks!).
            For those that may not know, a wiki is a web site that anyone can add or
            edit content (Wikipedia is the best known wiki).

            > The goals of this wiki are:
            >
            > 1. Provide a site to document all T-Trak clubs.
            > 2. Provide a site for those looking for other T-Trak enthusiasts in
            their area.
            > 3. Provide a site to display pictures of ALL T-Trak modules.
            >
            > The one thing the wiki is not is yet another forum for train or T-Trak
            topics (although it may have a messaging area to help with Goal 2). It
            is meant to compliment the Yahoo Group, not compete with it.

            > We have mostly accomplished Goal 1 for the US but could use help for
            the rest of the world (Europe, anyone?) and for a few US clubs listed as
            doing T-Trak but appear to have either disbanded or lost their T-Trak
            members. Achieving the remaining goals is going to take participation by
            others. We hope you will share your knowledge (and module pictures) with
            us.

            > -Vic
            > (not the creator of ttrak.wikidot.com, just an ardent contributor)
            > North Texas T-Trak

          • vmct00
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 10, 2011
              --- In t-trak@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Faust" <jfaust42@...> wrote:
              <snip>
              > Two questions...
              >
              > 1) is there anything to prevent me from creating a few pages on module construction techniques and linking them to my module pages? Sure, site organization is centered around clubs, members, and modules, but why limit ourselves?
              >
              > 2) Some tools to organize a multi-club show would be extremely cool! Imagine: show coordinator puts out the call for participants, people respond with lists of modules, coordinator gets a master list with specs for all available modules, and plans the layout from there. Does Wikidot provide any means of doing something like this?
              >
              > Keep up the good work. This is a positive development for T-Trakers everywhere.
              >
              > --Jeff

              Answers:
              1. Nothing at all. We have a page for constructing a basic module (http://ttrak.wikidot.com/how-to-construct-the-basic-module). We fully realize there are numerous ways to build modules and expect this section to be expanded. Feel free to add to this page or add a summary page that links to various construction techniques. We'd love to see more pages about module construction. No reason your module page cannot link to the construction pages (e.g. Corrugated Curve has a link to "How to build a Module with Cardboard"). Go For It!!

              2. I have had similar thoughts regarding multi club layouts. That was one of the primary reasons for the "power" and "set" tags. If everyone links their modules on their member page as you have done it should certainly help in planning a layout. Our club uses AnyRail for our layout plans. Maybe another "best practice" is for each club to attach its AnyRail Module Library to their club page.

              Thanks for the comments and contributions! The Genesee-N-Ontario Model N-Gineers Club section is looking good!

              -Vic
              North Texas T-Trak
            • Joe Ludley
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 11, 2011
                The AnyRail Modular Library sounds interesting. I briefly looked at their site and didn't grasp how their design concept would relate to T-Trak modules. Would it be possible to show some info on the wiki site since this site does no tallow attachments?
                Joe Ludley

              • vmct00
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 11, 2011
                  --- In t-trak@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Ludley" <joetrain@...> wrote:

                  > The AnyRail Modular Library sounds interesting. I briefly looked at their site and didn't grasp how their design concept would relate to T-Trak modules. Would it be possible to show some info on the wiki site since this site does no tallow attachments?
                  > Joe Ludley

                  To see how North Texas T-Trak uses AnyRail for layout planning check out the layout plans at http://ttrak.wikidot.com/201112-okc-train-show and http://ttrak.wikidot.com/fort-worth-texas-train-show. The layout plans depicted on those two event pages were created as a jpg export from AnyRail. We have an AnyRail file with all of the member's modules plus 6' and 8' tables. The planner then copies tables/modules from the master data file to the planning data file.

                  -Vic