Re: definition of the synoptic problem

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 1998
      Dear Bill

      Thankyou for your contribution to Synoptic-L. Please excuse my
      intervention.

      Synoptic-L is an academic forum designed for the critical, scholarly
      study of Synoptic interrelationships and contributions of the kind
      you have sent will probably be more at home in another forum.

      You are, however, most welcome to remain subscribed to Synoptic-L and
      to read Synoptic-L correspondence. It is my hope that you will
      enjoy and profit from what you read.

      Please address any queries concerning this message privately to me or
      the other coordinators of Synoptic-L.

      Sincerely,

      Mark Goodacre
      List Owner
      --------------------------------------
      Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...
      Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre.htm
    • Jakob Heckert
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 1998
        Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:

        > Without reproducing what everyone has already contributed (which
        > is a very fruitful discussion), let me put in my two-cents worth:
        >
        > For me the synoptic problem is the problem of explaining the complex
        > pattern of similarity and dissimilarity (agreement and divergence)
        > that emerges when the texts of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are compared
        > with one another. Theories may be limited to the strict comparison of
        > written texts (with due consideration to source criticism) or may
        > include suggestions about the viability of an oral tradition. Indeed many
        > hypotheses will include elements of both.
        >
        > Tom Longstaff
        > Colby College
        > Waterville, ME
        This is a good definition, as I understand it. When I look at the
        material in Aland's Synopsis, I see agreements and divergences. The
        question is, How can these be explained. It would seem to me also that
        we need to take into account what the post-apostolic church tells us
        about the interrelationship. Blessings. Jakob Heckert.