[Synoptic-L] Goulder "slaying dead dragons"

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2005
      Dear all,

      I'm trying to locate a work in which a critic accuses Michael Goulder of
      "slaying dead dragons" (a remark inspired by Goulder's own quip that in the
      battle over Q Frans Neirynck was on the side of the Dragon, but on John he
      was with St. Michael). As best I remember, the critic was saying that Lukan
      creativity was hardly denied in recent scholarship, but that fact hardly
      justified Goulder's conclusions. I thought it was C.M. Tuckett or Timothy
      Friedrichsen, but I haven't been able to find it. Could be JSKV or Robert
      Derrenbacker. Can anyone come up with the citation for the work in which
      "slaying dead dragons" occurrs, or did I just imagine it?

      Thanks in advance,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      MA, History, University of Maryland
      PhD Student, Theology, University of Birmingham