[Synoptic-L] Fellowship Opportunity -- Please send to list

  • Charles Henderson / CrossCurrents
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005

      Fellowship Applications Invited

      Spend the month of July in New York working on a research or writing project of your choice with access to libraries and research facilities at Columbia University , Union, Auburn , and Jewish Theological Seminaries.

      At a time when religion appears to be at the heart of humanity's gravest conflicts, it is clear that an increased understanding of how religion affects our lives is not an option: it is a necessity for survival. Since 1983, CrossCurrents has sponsored the research colloquium because we want to have an impact not only on how religion is taught and studied, but also on the way it influences events that touch us all.

      To that end we invite applications for a fellowship that will allow you to spend a month at our expense in a collaborative learning community, diverse in race, age, gender, religion and intellectual discipline working on a project of your design. The successful applicant will have a capacity for integrating his or her faith tradition with the life of the mind, and will outline a project that will be of interest to those outside his or her area of academic specialization or religious tradition.

      Colloquium Staff for 2005:

      Charles Henderson is Executive Director, ARIL / CrossCurrents.

      Carey Monserrate is Managing Editor, CrossCurrents.

      Daniel Boyarin is Taubman Professor of Talmudic Culture, Departments of Near Eastern Studies, University of California at Berkeley . For additional information about Professor Boyarin visit: http://neareastern.berkeley.edu/boyarin/

      Ebrahim E.I. Moosa is Associate Research Professor, Department of Religion, Duke University and Director of the Center for the Study of Muslim Networks. For additional information about Professor Moosa: http://www.duke.edu/religion/home/moosa/moosa.html

      Deborah Mowshowitz is director of Undergraduate Programs and Laboratories of the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University .  For additional information about Professor Mowshowitz: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/biology/faculty-data/deborah-mowshowitz/faculty.html

      For further information about the Colloquium:

      http://www.aril.org/colloquium.htm

      or call, Charles Henderson, 212-870-2544

      or email: colloquium@...