[Synoptic-L] RE: [XTalk] OFF topic: Ideal NT introduction

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
      Jeffrey,

      You asked for an off-list response, but one improvement over existing
      introductions should be aired ON list: How about a summary of the synoptic
      problem that isn't fifty years out-of-date, that is, one that at least
      understands that the argument from the Markan mediation of wording and order
      does not imply Markan temporal or genetic priority? (Koester, Ehrman, and
      Schnelle all write as if Butler never disproved this.)

      There are other improvements that could also be made relative to the
      synoptic problem, but it depends on far in depth you want to go on that.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
        Jeffrey:
        I would agree that this is not an off-list topic at
        all. In fact I recently struggled with this very
        question, and I found that none of the "Introductions
        to the New Testament" are adequate in this regard.
        What I did was to design a course around three
        concerns. Here is a paste and copy of some of that
        course:

        Course Outline:
        I. The Environment of Primitive Christianity and the
        New Testament.
        A. The Social and Political World
        B. The Religious and Philosophical World
        C. Aspects of Culture

        II. The Texts of the New Testament.
        A. The Synoptic Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles
        B. The Johannine Corpus
        C. The Pauline Epistles
        D. The Deutero-Pauline Epistles
        E. The Pastoral Epistles
        F. The Catholic Epistles
        G. The Apocalypse

        III. Interpreting the texts of the New Testament.
        A. Textual Criticism
        B. Historical Criticism
        C. Form Criticism
        D. Redaction Criticism
        E. Rhetorical & Socio-Rhetorical Criticism
        F. Ideological Criticism

        There is still much that could have been done, but I
        had to take into consideration the semester system
        that our College works with.

        I hope that others respond to this important question
        online as well.

        Blessings

        =====
        The Rev. Ian E. Rock