[Synoptic-L] OFF topic: Ideal NT introduction

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
      Forgive the off topic nature of this question, but I'd be very interested to hear your answers to the following question:

      If you were able to construct an Introduction to the NT for undergraduates, what would you place in it.  How would it differ from those that are currently on the market?

      Please reply OFF LIST to me at jgibson000@....

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
        Jeffrey,

        You asked for an off-list response, but one improvement over existing
        introductions should be aired ON list: How about a summary of the synoptic
        problem that isn't fifty years out-of-date, that is, one that at least
        understands that the argument from the Markan mediation of wording and order
        does not imply Markan temporal or genetic priority? (Koester, Ehrman, and
        Schnelle all write as if Butler never disproved this.)

        There are other improvements that could also be made relative to the
        synoptic problem, but it depends on far in depth you want to go on that.

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio

        Forgive the off topic nature of this question, but I'd be very
        interested to hear your answers to the following question:

        If you were able to construct an Introduction to the NT for
        undergraduates, what would you place in it.  How would it differ from
        those that are currently on the market?

        Please reply OFF LIST to me at jgibson000@....

        Yours,

        Jeffrey
        --

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...

        Would you Help a Child in need?
        It is easier than you think.
        Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

        List managers may be contacted directly at:
        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ian E. Rock
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
          Jeffrey:
          I would agree that this is not an off-list topic at
          all. In fact I recently struggled with this very
          question, and I found that none of the "Introductions
          to the New Testament" are adequate in this regard.
          What I did was to design a course around three
          concerns. Here is a paste and copy of some of that
          course:

          Course Outline:
          I. The Environment of Primitive Christianity and the
          New Testament.
          A. The Social and Political World
          B. The Religious and Philosophical World
          C. Aspects of Culture

          II. The Texts of the New Testament.
          A. The Synoptic Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles
          B. The Johannine Corpus
          C. The Pauline Epistles
          D. The Deutero-Pauline Epistles
          E. The Pastoral Epistles
          F. The Catholic Epistles
          G. The Apocalypse

          III. Interpreting the texts of the New Testament.
          A. Textual Criticism
          B. Historical Criticism
          C. Form Criticism
          D. Redaction Criticism
          E. Rhetorical & Socio-Rhetorical Criticism
          F. Ideological Criticism

          There is still much that could have been done, but I
          had to take into consideration the semester system
          that our College works with.

          I hope that others respond to this important question
          online as well.

          Blessings

          =====
          The Rev. Ian E. Rock