[Synoptic-L] Blurb in Today's New York Times re: Shroud of Turin

  • JesusQuest70@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
      January 27, 2005
      Shroud of Turin: Old as Jesus?
      By THE NEW YORK TIMES

      he Shroud of Turin is much older than the medieval date that modern science has affixed to it and could be old enough to have been the burial wrapping of Jesus, a new analysis concludes.

      Since 1988, most scientists have confidently concluded that it was the work of a medieval artist, because carbon dating had placed the production of the fabric between 1260 and 1390.

      In an article this month in the journal Thermochimica Acta, Dr. Raymond N. Rogers, a chemist retired from Los Alamos National Laboratory, said the carbon dating test was valid but that the piece tested was about the size of a postage stamp and came from a portion that had been patched.

      "We're darned sure that part of the cloth was not original Shroud of Turin cloth," he said, adding that threads from the main part of the shroud were pure linen, which is spun from flax.

      The threads in the patched portion contained cotton as well and had been dyed to match.

      From other tests, he estimated that the shroud was between 1,300 and 3,000 years old.

    • Emmanuel Fritsch
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2005
        JesusQuest70@... a écrit:

        >January 27, 2005
        >Shroud of Turin: Old as Jesus?
        >By THE NEW YORK TIMES
        >[..]
        >>From other tests, he estimated that the shroud
        >was between 1,300 and 3,000 years old.

        Which one ? I never heard about other scientific datation test on the
        Holy Shroud.
        When have they been allowed by the roman hierarchy ?

        a+
        manu