[Synoptic-L] Matt 3:2-3 and Is 55:1

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
      Using Farmer's Synopticon, which I believe employs the 25th edition of Nestle-Aland's Greek New Testament text, I have been working on Matt 3. This text has a marginal reference to Is 55:1 beside Matt 3:2-3. I wonder if someone could help me understand this reference. I don't find it in other editions, and don't really understand the relevance of this Isaian text to the Matthean passage. Am I missing something? Does the 25th edition often feature such obscure references, or is this unusual? (Or, again, am I simply missing something?)

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
        At 08:35 AM 12/9/2004 -0500, Maluflen@... wrote:
        >Using Farmer's Synopticon, which I believe employs the 25th edition of
        >Nestle-Aland's Greek New Testament text, I have been working on Matt 3. This
        >text has a marginal reference to Is 55:1 beside Matt 3:2-3. I wonder if
        >someone could help me understand this reference. I don't find it in other
        >editions, and don't really understand the relevance of this Isaian text to
        >the Matthean passage. Am I missing something? Does the 25th edition often
        >feature such obscure references, or is this unusual? (Or, again, am I simply
        >missing something?)

        It definitely looks strange, and it is not found in other editions
        accessible to me.

        My best guess is that it is a typographical error for Is 55:7, which
        uses a form of the verb METANOEW in the Symmachus rendering of the
        verse.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
          In a message dated 12/9/2004 12:22:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, 1stluth@... writes:

          Leonard,

          I noticed it also in Nestle's 25th (but left out of the 26th).

          My guess is that it was a typo that should have referred to Is. 35:1 with the desert imagery of Mt. 3:1.

          I thank you for this, and my thanks also to the others who sent suggestions. They all have some plausibility, but none is fully satisfying or obvious. Your suggestion perhaps has the most in its favor. There seems to be a consensus, however, that Is 55:1 is a typo. This too is a help.