Re: [Synoptic-L] Diatessaron

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      The real problem is that the Diatessaron is no longer extant, so it has to
      be reconstructed before a narrative critical approach could work AND the
      really technical studies focus more on relatively isolated material that
      can be proven to be diatessaronic rather than (in general) the broader
      narrative things. You could get round this by working only with the Arabic
      (but that is pretty problematic) or only with a Greek reconstruction (e.g.
      Zahn), or even with what can be reconstructed from Ephraem's commentary on
      the Syriac Diatessaron. But you've got problems whichever way you look at
      it. Check W. Peterson's book.

      Some time ago I did attempt to probe one aspect of the
      authorial/narratorial point of view in

      TATIAN'S CHRISTOLOGY AND ITS INFLUENCE ON THE COMPOSITION OF THE
      DIATESSARON Tyndale Bulletin 43.1(1992)121-137
      http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/Tatian.htm

      cheers

      peter

      At 03:08 PM 12/1/04, Bridget Gilfillan Upton wrote:
      >I am not sure whether this is the forum to ask this on, but I wonder if
      >anyone knows of a study of the Diatessaron using a narrative critical
      >approach. I am working on the four gospel tradition as a kind of reception
      >unit, and thought the Diatessaron might be interesting too, in terms of
      >whether there can legitimately be an implied author, and a narratorial
      >point of view, for a harmony.
      >
      >I should be grateful for any ideas on this whole area.
      >
      >Bridget Gilfillan Upton

      >Dr Bridget Gilfillan Upton
      >Lecturer in New Testament
      >Heythrop College
      >University of London
      >Kensington Square
      >London W8 5HQ
      >
      >Tel. 0044 (0)20 7795 4214 (direct)
      >Fax. 0044 (0)20 7795 4200 (college)
      >Email. b.gilfillan-upton@...
      >
      >Synoptic-L Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

    • Bridget Gilfillan Upton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        Peter,

        Thank you very much. I am, of course, aware of the problems of working with
        reconstructions - and I shall read your article with interest - I was
        getting at narratological ideas associated with the reception of any
        harmony, really. The very concept of point of view when the author is
        consciously melding his/her sources is something I am trying to get my mind
        around, without much success at present.

        One of the reasons I raised it on this forum concerns the activity of the
        evangelists in a kind of pre-redaction criticism understanding. Without
        wanting to muddy the waters of authorial intention, I am wanting to look at
        what the author of Matthew, say, was doing with the Christology of Mark as a
        kind of sequel (or vice versa for the non-Markan prioritists), rather than a
        major theological project.

        All this in some work on film narratology. Yojimbo and Sanjuro anyone?

        Thanks for your help,

        Bridget