[Synoptic-L] Diatessaron

  • Bridget Gilfillan Upton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      I am not sure whether this is the forum to ask this on, but I wonder if
      anyone knows of a study of the Diatessaron using a narrative critical
      approach. I am working on the four gospel tradition as a kind of reception
      unit, and thought the Diatessaron might be interesting too, in terms of
      whether there can legitimately be an implied author, and a narratorial point
      of view, for a harmony.

      I should be grateful for any ideas on this whole area.

      Bridget Gilfillan Upton

      Dr Bridget Gilfillan Upton
      Lecturer in New Testament
      Heythrop College
      University of London
      Kensington Square
      London W8 5HQ

      Tel. 0044 (0)20 7795 4214 (direct)
      Fax. 0044 (0)20 7795 4200 (college)
      Email. b.gilfillan-upton@...

    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        The real problem is that the Diatessaron is no longer extant, so it has to
        be reconstructed before a narrative critical approach could work AND the
        really technical studies focus more on relatively isolated material that
        can be proven to be diatessaronic rather than (in general) the broader
        narrative things. You could get round this by working only with the Arabic
        (but that is pretty problematic) or only with a Greek reconstruction (e.g.
        Zahn), or even with what can be reconstructed from Ephraem's commentary on
        the Syriac Diatessaron. But you've got problems whichever way you look at
        it. Check W. Peterson's book.

        Some time ago I did attempt to probe one aspect of the
        authorial/narratorial point of view in

        TATIAN'S CHRISTOLOGY AND ITS INFLUENCE ON THE COMPOSITION OF THE
        DIATESSARON Tyndale Bulletin 43.1(1992)121-137
        http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/Tatian.htm

        cheers

        peter

        At 03:08 PM 12/1/04, Bridget Gilfillan Upton wrote:
        >I am not sure whether this is the forum to ask this on, but I wonder if
        >anyone knows of a study of the Diatessaron using a narrative critical
        >approach. I am working on the four gospel tradition as a kind of reception
        >unit, and thought the Diatessaron might be interesting too, in terms of
        >whether there can legitimately be an implied author, and a narratorial
        >point of view, for a harmony.
        >
        >I should be grateful for any ideas on this whole area.
        >
        >Bridget Gilfillan Upton

        >Dr Bridget Gilfillan Upton
        >Lecturer in New Testament
        >Heythrop College
        >University of London
        >Kensington Square
        >London W8 5HQ
        >
        >Tel. 0044 (0)20 7795 4214 (direct)
        >Fax. 0044 (0)20 7795 4200 (college)
        >Email. b.gilfillan-upton@...
        >
        >Synoptic-L Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

      • Bridget Gilfillan Upton
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          Peter,

          Thank you very much. I am, of course, aware of the problems of working with
          reconstructions - and I shall read your article with interest - I was
          getting at narratological ideas associated with the reception of any
          harmony, really. The very concept of point of view when the author is
          consciously melding his/her sources is something I am trying to get my mind
          around, without much success at present.

          One of the reasons I raised it on this forum concerns the activity of the
          evangelists in a kind of pre-redaction criticism understanding. Without
          wanting to muddy the waters of authorial intention, I am wanting to look at
          what the author of Matthew, say, was doing with the Christology of Mark as a
          kind of sequel (or vice versa for the non-Markan prioritists), rather than a
          major theological project.

          All this in some work on film narratology. Yojimbo and Sanjuro anyone?

          Thanks for your help,

          Bridget