[Synoptic-L] The healing of "the dumb" man in Luke 11:1...

  • Kym Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2004
      Dear Jeffrey,

      I don't know if there were any extra-biblical Jewish traditions,
      which may be what you are looking for, but, given the association
      of demons and idolatry (Deut 32:17; Ps 106:37) or evil spirits
      with the loss of the Spirit of the Lord (1 Sam 16:14), it may well
      be that for Jesus to have cast out a demon inferred some purity
      or divine connection on his part for which the Jews wanted some
      proof. This may have been more the case for Jesus who cast out
      demons on his own authority (Mk 1:21-28) than it would have
      been for other exorcists who, I expect, called on God or some
      other authority to accomplish the exorcism (Acts 19:13).

      If we consider the healing rather than the exorcism, another
      possibility, from John, is the healing of the man born blind (Jn 9)
      and the obvious implications =96 at least to the man who was
      healed =96 was that this man must have a prophet (Jn 9:17) from
      God (9:30-33). The determination of the Jews to find fault with
      the man or to discredit the healing itself probably indicates that
      they also understood the implications. We are not told that the
      dumb man had been so afflicted from birth but, whether he was
      or not, similar implications may have pertained for Jesus to have
      healed him - or anyone else.

      Just a couple of thoughts.

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide