[Synoptic-L] the healing of "the dumb" man in Lk. 11:14//Matt. 12:22

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2004
      I am working on an article on the Sign of Jonah for the Synoptic Gospels
      section of the upcoming SBL and I'm wondering if anyone here can help me
      out with something that I'll need to comment on.

      As you know, for both Luke and Matthew the occasion of the demand that
      prompts Jesus' sign of Jonah remark is an excorcism/healing of a "dumb"
      demoniac. What I'd like to know is whether there is any special purity
      or boundary significance in "dumbness". The very fact that a "sign" is
      demanded after Jesus heals the "dumb" man would seem to indicate that
      there is, given that in the Synoptic tradition "signs" are only asked
      for either to certify the truth of a distrusted prophecy, or to
      establish the validity of a disputed claim that a certain course of
      action and the person initiating it are "of God"( i.e. really consistent
      with his will and purposes).

      But if so, what is it? Is "dumbness" something that designates a person
      as "not of "Israel"? As under a curse? As one who does not deserve the
      mercy of God? Is the healing of "dumbness" something that could be seen
      as an extension of the mercies of God to those who were ordinarily
      thought of as undeserving of them?

      Thanks in advance.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey