Re: [Synoptic-L] Lk dependent on Mt 5:39-48?

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
      To: Synoptic-L
      On: Mt 5:3[8]-48 || Lk 6:27-36
      From: Bruce

      What the certified Farrer Theorists would say, we will know when all five of
      them have responded. Meanwhile, this unofficial bystander sees little
      difficulty in accepting the Farrer assumptions for the passage in question.
      Close parallels (in CAPS) follow Swanson, Horizontal Line Synopsis, slightly
      emended. Impressionistic notes follow for the first few units, and are
      offered for discussion or refutation.

      GIVEN: The above Mt/Lk passages
      ASSUMED: Mt > Lk, no other sources
      TO SHOW: Lukan changes as authorially/theologically intelligible

      1. Mt 5:38 You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth
      for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil.

      Lk: Om

      [Lk similarly omits "you have heard that it was said" passages at Mt 5:21,
      5:27, 5:33. Whatever the reason, it is consistently applied]

      2. Mt 5:39-41 But if any one STRIKES YOU ON THE right CHEEK, turn to him THE
      OTHER ALSO; and if any one would sue you and TAKE YOUR shirt let him have
      YOUR cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him
      two miles.

      Lk 6:29 To him to STRIKES YOU ON THE CHEEK, offer THE OTHER ALSO; and from
      him who takes away YOUR cloak, do not withhold even YOUR shirt.

      [The similarity is stronger than the VERBAL PARALLELS imply. Lukan deletions
      here are the adversative "But," superfluous since the initial contrast is
      omitted, and Mt's limitation to legal proceedings ("sue you" and "compel you
      to," a right belonging to Roman soldiers of occupation, but not intelligible
      in larger context). Motive of generalization. Fitzmyer 1/638 at "right
      [cheek]" argues against Q as a source for Lk, but his argument also
      eliminates Mt as a source. It is better to note that Mt's "the other cheek"
      implies an antecedent "one cheek," which Lk's deletion better expresses. It
      also avoids the not impossible legalism, "What if they strike you first on
      the left cheek?" The Lukan order of loss cloak > shirt (chiton) is more
      readily visualizable, as endured at the hands of a robber, than is the
      original Matthean shirt > cloak. Lk's reversal makes for easier
      understanding].

      3. Mt 5:42 GIVE TO him WHO BEGS FROM YOU; AND do not refuse HIM WHO would
      borrow from you.

      Lk 6:30 GIVE TO every one WHO BEGS FROM YOU; AND of HIM WHO takes away your
      goods, do not ask them again.

      [Lk's addition "every one" makes the generality explicit. Lk's rewording of
      the second clause distinguishes money lending (likely to be the first
      thought of certain readers, but disapproved by Lk as a paradigmatic
      activity; cf Lk 6:34) from the theft of objects. As in preceding examples,
      one should not seek through law to recover losses or compensate injuries.
      The Mt parallel clauses become chiasmic or reflective parallels in Lk;
      presumably a device of style].

      4. Mt 5:43 You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and
      hate your enemy.

      Lk: Om

      [Another instance of the trait noted in #1 above]

      5. Mt 5:44 BUT I SAY TO YOU, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES AND PRAY FOR THOSE WHO
      persecute YOU.

      Lk 6:27 BUT I SAY TO YOU that hear, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES, do good to those who
      hate you, bless those who curse you, PRAY FOR THOSE WHO abuse YOU.

      [Lk's "But" is to distinguish this positive advice from his preceding
      "woes." Lk's "abuse" is less pointed, but more general, than Mt's
      "persecute." The Lukan expansions "do good to those . . . " underline the
      maxim and increase its rhetorical weight. See next. Fitzmyer ap Lk 6:27:
      "Only the first and last [commands in Lk] have counterparts in Matt 5:44.
      Luke has obviously added the other two in view of the four outrages
      expressed in the fourth beatitude (6:22); thus the three that follow specify
      the kind of love that the Christian follower is expected to show toward an
      enemy." This is nicely said, and might have come from the mouth of any
      certified Farrer adherent. It is an example of the Q hypothesis (to which
      Fitzmyer ostensibly cleaves, see his 1/vii and 2/) failing to do the work
      expected of it by nominal Two Source theorists].

      6. [Lk transfers his preceding parallel to the head of this section]

      [The "love your enemies" maxim is logically the parent of all the particular
      ones in this section. Its transference to the head of the section makes this
      logic clear; it lights up the whole. It is a form of emphasis separate from,
      but consistent with, that mentioned in #5. Fitzmyer ap Lk 6:27: "This is
      Luke's introduction to a new part of the sermon on the plain. In a sense it
      is the introduction to the whole middle section of the sermon (vv 27-45),
      the most important part, for which the exordium has been preparing"].

      And so on. Lk seems throughout to be editorially active. He consistently
      generalizes, deprovincializes, and delegalizes the advice inherited from Mt.
      Literarily, he shifts weight and emphasis, and alters some sequences, to
      achieve those goals. There is also some cleaning up of Mt's diction, and
      some closing of logical loopholes. Lk is not a copyist, but there are
      significant exact verbal agreements (colored fuchsia in the Farmer
      Synopticon, p160, cf p11f), and a pervasive general agreement as to sense.
      Lk stays within the Mt model, and in the end produces a tighter, more
      consecutive, and quite possibly more actionable version of that model. All
      (to me) most reasonable. What exactly is the problem here?

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst

    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
        > What the certified Farrer Theorists would say, we
        > will know when all five of
        > them have responded. Meanwhile, this unofficial
        > bystander sees little
        > difficulty in accepting the Farrer assumptions for
        > the passage in question.
        > Close parallels (in CAPS) follow Swanson, Horizontal
        > Line Synopsis, slightly
        > emended. Impressionistic notes follow for the first
        > few units, and are
        > offered for discussion or refutation.
        >
        > GIVEN: The above Mt/Lk passages
        > ASSUMED: Mt > Lk, no other sources
        > TO SHOW: Lukan changes as authorially/theologically
        > intelligible
        >
        > 1. Mt 5:38 You have heard that it was said, An eye
        > for an eye, and a tooth
        > for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist one who
        > is evil.
        >
        > Lk: Om
        >
        > [Lk similarly omits "you have heard that it was
        > said" passages at Mt 5:21,
        > 5:27, 5:33. Whatever the reason, it is consistently
        > applied]

        Perhaps Luke does not omit at all, and that it is
        Matthew who writes "you have heard that it was
        said" referring to Luke's Gospel that he
        (Matthew)based his text on.

        > 2. Mt 5:39-41 But if any one STRIKES YOU ON THE
        > right CHEEK, turn to him THE
        > OTHER ALSO; and if any one would sue you and TAKE
        > YOUR shirt let him have
        > YOUR cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go
        > one mile, go with him
        > two miles.
        >
        > Lk 6:29 To him to STRIKES YOU ON THE CHEEK, offer
        > THE OTHER ALSO; and from
        > him who takes away YOUR cloak, do not withhold even
        > YOUR shirt.
        >
        > [The similarity is stronger than the VERBAL
        > PARALLELS imply. Lukan deletions
        > here are the adversative "But," superfluous since
        > the initial contrast is
        > omitted, and Mt's limitation to legal proceedings
        > ("sue you" and "compel you
        > to," a right belonging to Roman soldiers of
        > occupation, but not intelligible
        > in larger context). Motive of generalization.
        > Fitzmyer 1/638 at "right
        > [cheek]" argues against Q as a source for Lk, but
        > his argument also
        > eliminates Mt as a source. It is better to note that
        > Mt's "the other cheek"
        > implies an antecedent "one cheek," which Lk's
        > deletion better expresses. It
        > also avoids the not impossible legalism, "What if
        > they strike you first on
        > the left cheek?" The Lukan order of loss cloak >
        > shirt (chiton) is more
        > readily visualizable, as endured at the hands of a
        > robber, than is the
        > original Matthean shirt > cloak. Lk's reversal makes
        > for easier
        > understanding].

        Luke's text appears more primitive. Matthew appears to
        be writing "right cheek" in accordance with the Roman
        ritual of manumitting a slave, something that would
        seem to be a latter development.

        > 3. Mt 5:42 GIVE TO him WHO BEGS FROM YOU; AND do not
        > refuse HIM WHO would
        > borrow from you.
        >
        > Lk 6:30 GIVE TO every one WHO BEGS FROM YOU; AND of
        > HIM WHO takes away your
        > goods, do not ask them again.
        >
        > [Lk's addition "every one" makes the generality
        > explicit. Lk's rewording of
        > the second clause distinguishes money lending
        > (likely to be the first
        > thought of certain readers, but disapproved by Lk as
        > a paradigmatic
        > activity; cf Lk 6:34) from the theft of objects. As
        > in preceding examples,
        > one should not seek through law to recover losses or
        > compensate injuries.
        > The Mt parallel clauses become chiasmic or
        > reflective parallels in Lk;
        > presumably a device of style].

        It is MT who specifies "borrow" as a criteria. Luke
        leaves the term broadly expressed that includes
        borrowing with or without permission (perhaps assumed
        by the borrower) and includes those who take away
        goods by force (not to sue for the return of the
        goods). This appears more primitive as a text compared
        to Matthew's, that addressed what appeared ambiguos in
        Luke. In other words, the Church raised questions
        about Luke's text and Matthews later text answered
        them.

        > 4. Mt 5:43 You have heard that it was said, You
        > shall love your neighbor and
        > hate your enemy.
        >
        > Lk: Om
        >
        > [Another instance of the trait noted in #1 above]

        Compare Luke 6:27-28, the apparently more primitive
        text.

        > 5. Mt 5:44 BUT I SAY TO YOU, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES AND
        > PRAY FOR THOSE WHO
        > persecute YOU.
        >
        > Lk 6:27 BUT I SAY TO YOU that hear, LOVE YOUR
        > ENEMIES, do good to those who
        > hate you, bless those who curse you, PRAY FOR THOSE
        > WHO abuse YOU.
        >
        > [Lk's "But" is to distinguish this positive advice
        > from his preceding
        > "woes." Lk's "abuse" is less pointed, but more
        > general, than Mt's
        > "persecute." The Lukan expansions "do good to those
        > . . . " underline the
        > maxim and increase its rhetorical weight. See next.
        > Fitzmyer ap Lk 6:27:
        > "Only the first and last [commands in Lk] have
        > counterparts in Matt 5:44.
        > Luke has obviously added the other two in view of
        > the four outrages
        > expressed in the fourth beatitude (6:22); thus the
        > three that follow specify
        > the kind of love that the Christian follower is
        > expected to show toward an
        > enemy." This is nicely said, and might have come
        > from the mouth of any
        > certified Farrer adherent. It is an example of the Q
        > hypothesis (to which
        > Fitzmyer ostensibly cleaves, see his 1/vii and 2/)
        > failing to do the work
        > expected of it by nominal Two Source theorists].

        In this case Matthew appears to rewrite what Luke had
        already expressed.

        =====
        John N. Lupia, III
        Toms River New Jersey 08757 USA
        Fax: (732) 349-3910
        God Bless America

      • Matson, Mark (Academic)
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
          Message
          Good question. Let me jump in with my own tentative reply, and I would like to see how other Farrer-type people respond.

          First, I would think that Luke knew of Matthew's approach toward this material from the Sermon on the Mount Section.  He retains it in his sermon on the mount, although he has a different focus, and so dispenses with the "you have heard it said, but I say" format that is somewhat cross-examining the understanding of the Law.

          But Luke's focus is to utilize the material within the context of "love your enemies"... and so he reframes the Matthean material so that it is more of a stand-alone teaching (perhaps flowing out of the woes in the beatitudes, reacting against the selfishness of the rich/powerful) on love of others and its importance as a crucial teaching.  Notice that the teaching begins in 6:27 with "love your enemies", and is completed in 6:35 with "love yor enemies."  And this flows into a related issue of judging.

          Is he using Matthew?  I would say yes, but in a strictly "source-dependent" way.  He is freely recasting the material into his own compositional product that sees a series of major themes that he wants to emphasize (e.g. riches, or love, or prayer) by creating thematic clusters.

          Now I also  think it possible that he knew much of this material from some oral sources as well.  I don't think we can be so dogmatic as to nail down precisely all his sources, and I certainly would not rule out of hand the possibility of other sources having some influence here. (only Goulder is that dogmatic)  If there was an independent source,it may have had an influence on the way Luke phrased the issue.

          But for me the emphasis would be on Luke's freedom as a composer, and his willingness to utilize Matthew (and Mark) in a very creative and dialogical way.  Thus we find at times some very close verbatim similarity, but at other times (and here would be an example) he is willing to transform the Matthean material more loosely.  At the same time, it also appears that strong similarity between Luke and Matthew here suggests some literary linkage.  and I also think a "Q" theory would have the same problem of positing the "original" source Q that can explain how Luke and Matthew would differ so much.

          mark

          Mark A. Matson
          Academic Dean
          Milligan College
          http://www.milligan.edu/administrative/personal.htm
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
            To: Synoptic-L
            On: Lk < Mt 5:39-48?
            From: Bruce

            Omitting as much as possible from previous messages:

            1. [Lk om Mt 5:38 and similar passages]
            JOHN: Perhaps Luke does not omit at all, and that it is Matthew who writes
            "you have heard that it was said" referring to Luke's Gospel that he
            (Matthew) based his text on.
            BRUCE: That's the other possibility. Either Mt put these previous-law
            references in (a Lukan original) or Lk left them out (from a Mt original).
            Both posited behaviors are consistent for their respective authors. So
            expressed, it's not strong enough to count as a directionality indicator,
            and I note that McNicol et al, Luke's Use of Matthew (1996) does not take
            this sequence as an example. But Tim's challenge was to show that an
            intelligible picture of ALk could be proposed for this passage, and I think
            that has been met. Personally, I find it the more likely case that a
            legalistic Mt (with his vision of a New Law being handed down on a Different
            Mountain), who inconsistently urges avoiding litigation but still speaks
            largely in terms of judicial procedure, would be simplified and generalized
            by Luke for small bodies of the faithful, living increasingly outside Jewish
            law and also probably without access, on favorable terms, to Roman law. But
            I wouldn't go to SBL with nothing more than that in my pocket.

            2. [Mt "right cheek," Lk om "right"]
            JOHN: Luke's text appears more primitive. Matthew appears to be writing
            "right cheek" in accordance with the Roman ritual of manumitting a slave,
            something that would seem to be a latter development.
            BRUCE: If Lk took "right" this way, no wonder he dropped it. But I frankly
            can't see what a manumission ritual would be doing where the context
            requires not freedom, but insult. The older commentators took it as such
            (walking past "right," or lamely suggesting that it is natural to mention
            "right" first, though no explicit "left" follows). More recently, Davies and
            Allison (1988) 1/543 give references to show that a slap was an insult as we
            would have expected, and that a slap on the right cheek (necessarily a
            backhanded slap, assuming a right-handed assailant) was especially
            offensive; so also Gundry (2ed 1994) 95: "But surpassing righteousness
            requires meekness even in the face of the worst insult." If this was Mt's
            sense, then it might well have worked better for readers equally acquainted
            with such authorities as m. B. Qam. 8:6, but less well for a wider audience,
            such as I suspect Lk to have been addressing.

            3. [Lk takes away < Mt would borrow from]
            JOHN: It is MT who specifies "borrow" as a criteria. Luke leaves the term
            broadly expressed that includes borrowing with or without permission
            (perhaps assumed by the borrower) and includes those who take away goods by
            force (not to sue for the return of the goods). This appears more primitive
            as a text compared to Matthew's, that addressed what appeared ambiguos in
            Luke. In other words, the Church raised questions about Luke's text and
            Matthews later text answered them.
            BRUCE: It's always possible that later believers required a more detailed
            code of procedure, and that development can certainly be seen at many points
            in the Pauline corpus. And it is agreed that Mt is here more specific, and
            Lk more general. But I can't see that this necessarily makes Lk "more
            primitive." Whether he was well advised or no, he seems to be concerned,
            here as in the previous two cases, to take the rules out of the specific
            Occupied Palestine context, and put them in broader terms. I can imagine
            that being a workable agenda for an early Gospel writer, without prejudice
            to the parallel need of the faithful for more elaborate rules of procedure.
            Those rules of procedure seem to have been rules of self-governance or local
            governance, and echoes of Jewish or Roman law would not necessarily have
            been relevant. Thus, I don't see the Matthean specificity here as plausible
            answers to procedural questions likely to have been raised by the early
            Church about a formulation such as that of Lk. I see the Mt version as a
            plausible first attempt to define Christian law adversatively, against the
            explicit precedent of formerly applicable codes. Luke relies more on natural
            law and sensibility.

            4. [Lk om Mt 5:43 "love your neighbor"]
            JOHN: Compare Luke 6:27-28, the apparently more primitive text.
            BRUCE: No, Lk 6:27 (in parallel to Mt 5:44) is the more revolutionary text.
            See next. The point here is that, as in all other cases, Mt has, and Lk
            lacks, these adversative references to earlier codes. All those differences
            are certainly one difference, and they certainly have a single explanation,
            and that explanation must make consecutive sense with other explanations.

            5. [Lk 6:27 < Mt 5:44; q Fitzmyer]
            JOHN: In this case Matthew appears to rewrite what Luke had already
            expressed.
            BRUCE: That is certainly how Fitzmyer, a staunch advocate of the Two Source
            Hypothesis, himself consciously took it. I was merely concerned to point out
            that his wording is at war with his advocacy; he speaks of Luke "adding"
            (never mind from where) to the parallel Matthew. This is not an envisionment
            that the 2SH allows. Silent slippage into the opposing view. I suspect there
            is quite a bit of this going around, and that it tends to show that the 2SH
            is really not tenable, in detail, as a sufficing account of Synoptic
            interrelationships.

            6. [Lk transfers "love your enemies" maxim to head of section]
            JOHN: [No comment]
            BRUCE: I venture to reiterate my point, that the repositioning of this
            passage illumines a previously less consecutive order in Matthew, and that
            it is therefore plausible as an improvement on Matthew. Commentators,
            without necessarily mentioning Synoptic implications, have frequent praise
            for this positioning (see my original note). They do not step forward
            equally to point out virtues in the Matthean placement. If better, than
            presumptively later. Anything is possible, but it is hard to see Mt burying
            the Lukan theme statement in the midst of a bunch of examples and
            illustrations of it, if the Lukan version was what Mt had to work from (or,
            what is equivalent, if Lk under the title "Q" was what he had to work from).
            Here, I suggest, Lk is not only omitting Mt's recurring adversative-context
            legal statements, but replacing one of them by a deep principle from which
            the following examples can be seen as flowing. Two changes, not one. If
            there is a directionality indicator anywhere in this basket, I think this is
            probably it.

            And I will add that a general study of Lukan repositionings seems to me to
            be fruitful in directionality indications, of which the few I have so far
            scrutinized all point in the same direction. They show Luke not as a clumsy
            copyist of Mt, but as a reactor to and critic of Mt, shaping (and reshaping)
            Matthean doctrine and its presentation with his own consistent style and
            agenda. Not that Mt *lacked* an agenda, but that Lk is concerned to one-up
            him.

            Bruce

            E Bruce Brooks
            Warring States Project
            University of Massachusetts at Amherst

          • Tim Reynolds
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2004
              on 8/11/04 11:09 PM, E Bruce Brooks at brooks@... wrote:

              > Not that Mt *lacked* an agenda, but that Lk is concerned to one-up
              > him.
              >
              > Bruce

              You got that right.

              tim