Re: [Synoptic-L] balance of plausibility

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
      Stephen Carlson wrote:

      > To move forward, some reduction to an external standard has to be made
      > and the most common is simply counting the number of extra entities
      > (Occam).

      This is only part of the method. One also has to incorporate into the
      equation what I would call "explanatory power". We then get the following
      comparison.

      Two Source Theory, with one hypothetical (Greek) document

      Explains the close textual agreements in the double tradition
      Explains why Matthew and Luke have many doublets whereas Mark has hardly any
      Gives the best explanation of several cases of Lukan primitivity in the d.t.
      Explains how Matthew did so well at preserving so many primitive sayings

      Farrer Theory (no hypothetical documents)

      Explains the close textual agreements in the double tradition
      Explains the vast number of minor agreements in the d.t.
      Explains Luke 1:1 (reference to the gospels of Mark and Matthew)
      Explains other indications that Luke knew Matt, e.g. "Sermon on the plain"

      Verdict: inconclusive because, as Stephen says, it's like assessing apples
      against oranges. But now add:

      Three Source Theory (one document known to Papias, but none hypothetical)

      Explains all that the 2ST can explain, plus all that Farrer can explain. And
      more!

      What is there left to argue about?

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK