Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 19, 2004
      In a message dated 9/18/2004 11:06:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, k.hanhart@... writes:

      I, for one, find the notion that Mark wrote an abbreviated version of Matthew and Luke difficult to explain.

      Maybe if you were able to conceive of a late Mark in other terms than these, your difficulty would disappear. As you know, I am a proponent of the GH, but I would never express what Mark did, except in a moment of carelessness, as an abbreviated version of Matthew and/or Luke. Conflation and abbreviation were not what Mark was "doing"; they were among a number of means used by him to create a Gospel drama suited for his relatively unsophisticated community of Roman, Gentile Christians. Another means he used was virtually the opposite of abbreviation, namely (clearly secondary) expansion and elaboration, which is found almost throughout Mark -- who achieved brevity, by comparison to Matthew and Luke, only by omitting large sections of the well-known teaching of Jesus, which would have slowed down his fast moving narrative.

        Mark wrote a Passover homily immediately after the debacle of 70. Matthew

      received this first Christian-Judean reaction from the ecclesia in Rome. Because  he wrote for a much broader Christian Judean public, he added such important material as the "Sermon on the Mount" to Mark's passion gospel.

      Strange, isn't it, that the second-hand recycler of material in the above description came to be known by the name of an intimate disciple of Jesus, and the original was written by someone for whom such a claim was never made. It is also strange, if your hypothesis is correct, how little interest Mark shows in Israel in his Gospel, or in relating Jesus (or even his opponents, for that matter) directly and explicitly to Israel. I see no hint in Mark that the author saw any connection between the twelve disciples of Jesus and the twelve tribes of Israel, for example. Or between "the Gospel" (which Mark alone of the Synoptics uses in the absolute) and the good news proclaimed in Second Isaiah. (MOGILALON, 7:32, is simply too small a data base on which to make such a claim.) Both connections are of course explicit in Matthew, and "naively" so. He does not seem to be "judaizing" a less Jewish source, but rather to be speaking his native language, from his native perspective, and producing out of it the substance of what has come to be known as the Synoptic common material -- as well as the rest of Matthew.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA
    • Frides Laméris
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 19, 2004
        Hi Karel,
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 19, 2004
          On Sep 19, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
          > ... I would never express what Mark did, except in a moment of
          > carelessness, as an abbreviated version of Matthew and/or Luke.
          > Conflation and abbreviation were not what Mark was "doing"; they were
          > among a number of means used by him to create a Gospel drama suited
          > for his relatively unsophisticated community of Roman, Gentile
          > Christians. Another means he used was virtually the opposite of
          > abbreviation, namely (clearly secondary) expansion and elaboration,
          > which is found almost throughout Mark -- who achieved brevity, by
          > comparison to Matthew and Luke, only by omitting large sections of the
          > well-known teaching of Jesus, which would have slowed down his fast
          > moving narrative...

          Of course, this type of historical reconstruction always strikes me as
          a random apology for how an author can leave out stories for the sake
          of brevity, while most often expanding the individual traditions
          themselves. These appeals to hypothetical sociological settings in
          order to refute evidence internal to the text never strike me as
          plausible.

          Joe Weaks

          Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
          Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
          Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
          j.weaks@...
        • David Gentile
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 19, 2004
            Hello Leonard,

            As you say we have been through this before. I doubt I could add anything to
            what I have on my site, and what we have discussed on this list in the past.
            Examples of specific vocabulary items are generally pointless, since the
            statistical argument is based on the combined weight of many examples, not
            individual cases which are by themselves insignificant.

            I posted this because there are people here who may not be familiar with
            earlier discussions on this list. If you, or others have specific questions
            about material presented on the web pages, I'd be happy to try to answer
            those question, since that might help me improve the site.

            Sincerely,
            Dave Gentile

            Dave Gentile
            Riverside, Illinois
            M.S. Physics
            M.S. Finance
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 20, 2004
              In a message dated 9/19/2004 4:40:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, j.weaks@... writes:

              On Sep 19, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
              > ... I would never express what Mark did, except in a moment of
              > carelessness, as an abbreviated version of Matthew and/or Luke.
              > Conflation and abbreviation were not what Mark was "doing"; they were
              > among a number of means used by him to create a Gospel drama suited
              > for his relatively unsophisticated community of Roman, Gentile
              > Christians. Another means he used was virtually the opposite of
              > abbreviation, namely (clearly secondary) expansion and elaboration,
              > which is found almost throughout Mark -- who achieved brevity, by
              > comparison to Matthew and Luke, only by omitting large sections of the
              > well-known teaching of Jesus, which would have slowed down his fast
              > moving narrative...

              Of course, this type of historical reconstruction always strikes me as
              a random apology for how an author can leave out stories for the sake
              of brevity, while most often expanding the individual traditions
              themselves.

              Joe, read what you just wrote, please: "A random apology for how an author can leave out stories for the sake of brevity.." Since when is it expected that an *author* would copy stories written by someone else? If you want to refer to a late Mark as a redactor, or better still as a scribe (in the sense of a copier of manuscripts) your sentence would make good sense. But in the case of an author, if you think that's what Mark is (and I would agree), the question is not why he would have left out some parts of an existing Gospel of Matthew, but rather why he would appear, at first glance, to have copied so much of it! (Of all the early Christian writers we know, who knew the Gospel of Matthew, none of them copied those parts you want to blame a late Mark for not copying.) And to answer my own question (why Mark would have copied what he did from Matthew), the fact is that he did not just copy them, but rather worked them into a different kind of communication, a Gospel drama, designed to reach a specific (low-class, relatively unsophisticated) audience with a powerful Gospel message. The hypothesized situation is perfectly coherent, identical in kind to that which obtains today when films are made from existing books (always with major omissions in the film product). The fact that the theory is coherent does not make it true, but it cannot be dismissed out of hand as inherently implausible. Especially not "of course".

              These appeals to hypothetical sociological settings in
              order to refute evidence internal to the text never strike me as
              plausible.

              My purpose, like yours, is not to refute, but rather to interpret evidence internal to the text. The Markan priority hypothesis, like the Matthean priority hypothesis, is not "evidence internal to the text" but theory that attempts to explain that evidence.

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 20, 2004
                In a message dated 9/19/2004 9:16:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, GentDave@... writes:

                I posted this because there are people here who may not be familiar with
                earlier discussions on this list. If you, or others have specific questions
                about material presented on the web pages, I'd be happy to try to answer
                those question, since that might help me improve the site.

                I would just like to hear you express verbally, in somewhat fuller form, what you think your tables of statistics prove and why. The reason I say this is because your less fully stated interpretation of your verbal statistics does not match with my interpretation of more macro observations -- such as the fact that the common Synoptic material is in general more demonstrably Matthean in origin than it is Markan in origin. It would be nice if the statistics re-inforced, rather than contradicted, sound evaluation of the evidence based on macro observations.

                Leonard Maluf
                Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
                Weston, MA
              • Tim Reynolds
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 21, 2004

                  Hi Tim,
[...]

                  Good point

[...]

                  It seems to me the synoptics are best described as "too similar to be unrelated and two dissimilar to be transcription or dictation.  Like the Bad Quartos of Shakespeare's most popular plays.

                  Best,

                  tim

                • Tim Reynolds
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 21, 2004
                    Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence on 19/9/04 4:02 AM, Maluflen@... at Maluflen@... wrote:

[...]

                    Dave's formulation appears clear to me.  What's your problem with it?

                    Tim Reynolds
                    LB CA 90802
                  • Tim Reynolds
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 21, 2004
                      on 19/9/04 1:39 PM, Joseph Weaks at j.weaks@... wrote:

                      > On Sep 19, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
                      >> ... I would never express what Mark did, except in a moment of
                      >> carelessness, as an abbreviated version of Matthew and/or Luke.
                      >> Conflation and abbreviation were not what Mark was "doing"; they were
                      >> among a number of means used by him to create a Gospel drama suited
                      >> for his relatively unsophisticated community of Roman, Gentile
                      >> Christians. Another means he used was virtually the opposite of
                      >> abbreviation, namely (clearly secondary) expansion and elaboration,
                      >> which is found almost throughout Mark -- who achieved brevity, by
                      >> comparison to Matthew and Luke, only by omitting large sections of the
                      >> well-known teaching of Jesus, which would have slowed down his fast
                      >> moving narrative...
                      >
                      > Of course, this type of historical reconstruction always strikes me as
                      > a random apology for how an author can leave out stories for the sake
                      > of brevity, while most often expanding the individual traditions
                      > themselves. These appeals to hypothetical sociological settings in
                      > order to refute evidence internal to the text never strike me as
                      > plausible.
                      >
                      > Joe Weaks

                      > Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
                      > Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
                      > Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
                      > j.weaks@...

                      Tampoco

                      tim

                    • dgentil@sears.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 24, 2004
                        Leonard,

                        Maybe I could just give a philosophical answer. What do I believe the study
                        proves?

                        Nothing at all. I believe absolute proof of anything is impossible.

                        What the study demonstrates is that when vocabulary frequencies are
                        examined, that form of evidence indicates a strong probability of Markian
                        priority.

                        However, it is always possible that if more evidence, of other sorts, were
                        considered, the probability of Markian priority could be reduced or even
                        reversed. (Updating probabilities in this way is either an implicit or
                        explicit application of Bayes's theorem.) But, I think that it would
                        require a quite substantial amount of evidence to change the probable
                        conclusion.

                        What macro features are you referring to? I recall that you have said that
                        the large scale structure of the synoptics seems most consistent with
                        Markian priority, but that your disagreement was with the details.

                        .
                        Sincerely,
                        Dave Gentile

                        Dave Gentile
                        M.S. Physics
                        M.S. Finance
                        Riverside, IL

                        Maluflen@...
                        Sent by: To: GentDave@..., synoptic-l@...
                        owner-synoptic-l@ cc:
                        bham.ac.uk Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

                        09/20/2004 07:32
                        PM

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 26, 2004
                          In a message dated 9/24/2004 3:18:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgentil@... writes:

                          Maybe I could just give a philosophical answer. What do I believe the study
                          proves?

                          Nothing at all.  I believe absolute proof of anything is impossible.

                          What the study demonstrates is that when vocabulary frequencies are
                          examined, that form of evidence indicates a strong probability of Markian
                          priority.

                          What I would like is a fuller statement of your argument, as opposed to simply discussing its formal value, or stating what you believe to be its result or conclusion. I suspect that there are presuppositions in your argument that I would have serious problems with, but I can't say so for sure until you lay it out a bit more fully. It is not sufficient to say that such a fuller exposition can be found in Synoptic-L archives. You are writing on this list to an audience which should not be presumed to be familiar with those archives, and are stating that you have made a significant argument in favor of Markan priority, based on vocabulary statistics. I think you have to be able to describe or rehearse that argument with sufficient fulness to insure that list members don't have to simply take your word for it when you pronounce on its merit. Then I could proceed to either reject your argument, or perhaps to accept it, and then go on to air the numerous other possible arguments, also based on vocabulary statistics, that would favor Matthean priority. Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 26, 2004
                            Leonard,

                            I don't expect people to look through the archives. However, I do expect
                            people who are interested in understanding the work to study all the
                            webpages on my site completely (including following all the links) and ask
                            specific questions about items there that they do not understand, or have
                            issues with.

                            http://www.davegentile.com/synoptics/main.html

                            I don't see any value in cutting and pasting that material here, or trying
                            to do a re-statement of that material here, unless I know what is not clear
                            in the first attempt at explanation.

                            Thank you,
                            Dave Gentile

                            Dave Gentile
                            Riverside, Illinois
                            M.S. Physics
                            M.S. Finance

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 28, 2004
                              In a message dated 9/26/2004 6:44:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, GentDave@... writes:

                              I don't expect people to look through the archives. However, I do expect
                              people who are interested in understanding the work to study all the
                              webpages on my site completely (including following all the links) and ask
                              specific questions about items there that they do not understand, or have
                              issues with.

                              I wouldn't waste my time. I have no reason to question any of your statistical data that do not require intelligence, and that can therefore be processed by a computer better than by a human being. I am interested in the following step: how you get from the data you have assembled to an argument in favor of Markan priority. It is there that I suspect (though I cannot yet say for sure, since you refuse to articulate your argument beyond the mere statement of its conclusion) that presuppositions would be operative to which I would take exception. Until you are able to articulate that argument, I don't believe its conclusion merits much credit or attention.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 28, 2004
                                "I wouldn't waste my time."

                                Then I really don't see why I should waste mine.

                                But...

                                The central premise is that if a category of text (A) and another category
                                of text (B) share a similar frequency of vocabulary items, above and beyond
                                any similarity we would expect, given that both categories are taken from
                                the synoptics, and if another category (C) does not share a similar
                                frequency of vocabulary items with (A) and (B), then (A) and (B) most
                                likely have the same author, and (C) most likely has a different author.

                                The study shows that the categories which include material in common
                                between Matthew and Mark show a similarity to categories which contain
                                material found only in Mark. But the categories containing material unique
                                to Matthew, do not show a similar relation to the categories containing
                                material common to Matthew and Mark.

                                Hence...the material in common between Matthew and Mark was likely
                                originally authored by the same person who produced the rest of Mark, and
                                not be the same person that produced the rest of Matthew.

                                Some objections to directly connecting vocabulary frequency, and authorship
                                have been raised on this list, and the objections are summarized and
                                discussed here.

                                http://www.davegentile.com/synoptics/problems.html

                                Dave Gentile
                                M.S. Physics
                                M.S. Finance
                                Riverside, IL

                                Maluflen@...
                                Sent by: To: GentDave@..., synoptic-l@...
                                owner-synoptic-l@ cc:
                                bham.ac.uk Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

                                09/28/2004 11:55
                                AM

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 28, 2004
                                  In a message dated 9/28/2004 1:51:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgentil@... writes:

                                  The central premise is that if a category of text (A) and another category
                                  of text (B) share a similar frequency of vocabulary items, above and beyond
                                  any similarity we would expect, given that both categories are taken from
                                  the synoptics, and if another category (C) does not share a similar
                                  frequency of vocabulary items with (A) and (B), then (A) and (B) most
                                  likely have the same author, and (C) most likely has a different author.

                                  Hmmm... I am wondering whether to try to tease out what this all means, or just to let it stand as a monument to the stunning perlucidity of argumenation in favor of Markan priority. More seriously, I see a potential problem here in the fact that, on the one hand, you refer to "authors" of text here and on the other, the argument seems to presuppose a secondary author who is really, in a significant sense, more a copier than an author. I'm not sure exactly how this observation affects your argument, because it is not perfectly clear to me yet what your argument is, but perhaps some light will emerge if I proceed to read your next sentence

                                  The study shows that the categories which include material in common
                                  between Matthew and Mark show a similarity to categories which contain
                                  material found only in Mark. But the categories containing material unique
                                  to Matthew, do not show a similar relation to the categories containing
                                  material common to Matthew and Mark.

                                  Now you are writing in sentences I can understand, and if its components are true, your study would seem to be a valid, if inconclusive, argument in favor of Markan priority. I am not exactly sure how you are using the term "categories" in the above. Does it mean something more than "passages"? Also, I think it would be interesting if you could supply a concrete example, that could then be discussed, of the phenomenon the above sentences intend to convey. I realize that your original argument did not depend on a single item, but was rather cumulative in force. But I still find it difficult to evaluate your claims without the help of a few particulars. Maybe you could report on what you would regard as the most telling instances of the phenomenon you describe?

                                  Hence...the material in common between Matthew and Mark was likely
                                  originally authored by the same person who produced the rest of Mark, and
                                  not be the same person that produced the rest of Matthew.

                                  Your conclusion intrigues me because it is counter-intuitive. It states the opposite of what I would think to be true, coming at the problem from an approach not based exclusively on detailed vocabulary statistics. I think the material common to Matthew and Mark is demonstrably more Matthean than it is Markan in origin. I think, for instance, that the miracles in the two Gospels function differently in the two communication settings, and that that of Matthew is much more likely earlier than that of Mark. In Matthew the miracles of Jesus are part of a scriptural argument that legitimates Jesus as Israel's Messiah; in Mark the miracles are used to illustrate the saving mediation of Jesus' divine power in an ecclesial situation. Mark is not only no longer interested in legitimating Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, he is no longer even particularly interested in defining Jesus' relationship vis-a-vis Israel nor does he understand this relationship to be Jesus' defining identity. In other words, Mark's perspective is that of the later Christian creeds.