[Synoptic-L] Off-Topic Request: Apologies for Cross-Posting

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2004
      Dear Listserve Members,

      Robert Bellah, one of my old doctoral advisors at
      Berkeley, sent me the following request:

      I am sending the beginning of my axial chapters, the
      Introduction just before describing ancient Israel
      .... [D]o you have any books or authors whom you
      especially admire who work primarily on the Hebrew
      scriptures? I am trying to understand how Israel
      became different from the older societies, without
      simple dichotomies, because I know almost every
      element is shared with others. There must be
      something in how they put it all together. I feel it
      has to do with the Moses narrative, even if there
      wasn't any historical Moses, which there probably
      wasn't. But a leader and lawgiver at the heart of the
      Pentateuch who is clearly not a divine king is surely
      a strong statement. So if you know any work that
      illuminates the origin and development of the Moses
      narrative that would be especially helpful.

      I posed the query on Ioudaios a couple of days ago,
      and some of the replies made me realize that some
      people don't know who Bellah is. He's an emeritus
      professor of sociology who has written extensively in
      the sociology of religion and is very erudite. So, he
      doesn't need general or introductory level suggestions
      (though he appreciates the responses that he did
      receive from people on Ioudaios).

      I wish to emphasize that he's especially looking for
      are suggestions on how the Moses narrative might have
      originated and developed. This is the crux of his
      request.

      If anyone has any suggetions, please send them to me
      privately (jefferyhodges@...), and I'll see that
      he receives them.

      Best Regards,

      Jeffery Hodges