Re: [Synoptic-L] The status of Q and (of) the Two-Source Theory

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2004
      At 03:07 PM 9/2/2004 +0200, Frides Laméris wrote:
      >As long as there are no aprioris build in into the possible literary
      >(in)dependence, there are chances traces can be found of such a
      >relationship between (gospel) texts. Because thusfar however, after almost
      >a few hundreds years of critical research, definite results of the
      >dependence approach seem to be minimal (who would dare to say: as far as
      >proofed certainty is concerned almost nil), the better chances may at last
      >be for more traditional approaches which reckon with a minimum of LITERARY
      >dependence.

      I think that Jack Poirier has already pointed that there is a
      big difference between the fact of some literary interdependence
      and the direction of that relationship. I would also dispute the
      idea that independence is "more traditional" than dependence,
      because Augustine assumed dependence in his discussion of the
      agreement of the gospels.

      >I wish we had a simple example (one to start with!); describe all the
      >different approaches; list the different presuppositions; have them rated as
      >to their weight, do some more necessary steps, and create the (mathematical)
      >formula which gives an evaluation of the (relative) strength(s) and
      >weaknes(ses) of all the explanations/approaches!

      At my web site, I have enumerated (based on a computer program) a list of
      1488 viable, documentary solutions to the synoptic problem, with 0, 1,
      or 2 relevant hypothetical documents. (Independence is not one of them.)

      See http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/enum.htm

      >I was once told in mathematics one tends to go for solutions that are
      >most simple and elegant.
      >
      >Maybe somebody can also work out some software which could do the
      >job sketched above. I'll leave that with pleasure to the (paid) experts!

      The hard part is not the software, but devising a formula that can
      reasonably evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of the
      possible solutions.

      Stephen