Re: [Synoptic-L] Second edition of Burridge's "What Are the Gospels"?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
      I take it that the recent "paradigm shift" referred to below in
      the press blurb is Bauckham et al.'s (which includes Burridge)
      "Gospel for All Christians."

      Burridge ably filled in for Bauckham in a SBL 2003 session on this
      topic. As I recall, one of his points is that the gospels are a
      form about biography, which means that they are about its subject
      Jesus, not about the local community from which they originated.
      It sounds like a basic point, but it is a helpful reminder when
      reading someone's use of a gospel as a window into an early
      Christian community.

      Stephen Carlson