Re: [Synoptic-L] Second edition of Burridge's "What Are the Gospels"?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
      Yes, I've seen some of the new material in draft and it represents a
      substantial revision, bringing the book up to date and engaging
      developments and reactions that have emerged since the first edition.
      It is apparently scheduled for release in September. See the Eerdmans
      site at:

      http://www.eerdmans.com/shop/product.asp?p_key=0802809715

      What Are the Gospels?: A Comparison with Graeco-Roman Biography
      Richard A. Burridge

      $34.00 Paperback

      Not yet in print (Expected ship date: 9/29/04)

      revised edition; 380 pages; dimensions (in inches): 6.25 x 9.25

      ISBN: 0-8028-0971-5

      Foreword by Graham Stanton

      Richard Burridge's highly acclaimed study of the Christian Gospels is
      substantially updated and expanded in this revised edition. Here
      Burridge engages the field of Gospel studies over the last hundred
      years, arguing convincingly for viewing the Gospels as biographical
      documents of the sort common throughout the Graeco-Roman world.

      In pursuing the question of his book's title, Burridge compares the
      work of the Christian evangelists with that of Graeco-Roman
      biographers. Drawing on insights from literary theory, Burridge
      demonstrates that the widespread view of the Gospels as unique is
      false, and he discusses what a properly "biographical" perspective
      means for Gospel interpretation. The book includes a long new chapter
      detailing the recent paradigm shift in Gospel scholarship — a shift
      due in large part to this very book — a new foreword by Graham
      Stanton, and an appendix dealing with the absence of comparable early
      Jewish biographies.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
        I take it that the recent "paradigm shift" referred to below in
        the press blurb is Bauckham et al.'s (which includes Burridge)
        "Gospel for All Christians."

        Burridge ably filled in for Bauckham in a SBL 2003 session on this
        topic. As I recall, one of his points is that the gospels are a
        form about biography, which means that they are about its subject
        Jesus, not about the local community from which they originated.
        It sounds like a basic point, but it is a helpful reminder when
        reading someone's use of a gospel as a window into an early
        Christian community.

        Stephen Carlson