[Synoptic-L] Second edition of Burridge's "What Are the Gospels"?

  • Joseph Weaks
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2004
      I understand that Burridge is doing a revised edition of his book.
      Anyone have detailed info. I know he is updating the preface, but is
      that it, or is there material enhancement to the text? Has he set out
      to plug some of the holes? Release date? Suggestions where to find out
      more info?

      Thanks,
      Joe

      Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
      Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
      Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
      j.weaks@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
        Yes, I've seen some of the new material in draft and it represents a
        substantial revision, bringing the book up to date and engaging
        developments and reactions that have emerged since the first edition.
        It is apparently scheduled for release in September. See the Eerdmans
        site at:

        http://www.eerdmans.com/shop/product.asp?p_key=0802809715

        What Are the Gospels?: A Comparison with Graeco-Roman Biography
        Richard A. Burridge

        $34.00 Paperback

        Not yet in print (Expected ship date: 9/29/04)

        revised edition; 380 pages; dimensions (in inches): 6.25 x 9.25

        ISBN: 0-8028-0971-5

        Foreword by Graham Stanton

        Richard Burridge's highly acclaimed study of the Christian Gospels is
        substantially updated and expanded in this revised edition. Here
        Burridge engages the field of Gospel studies over the last hundred
        years, arguing convincingly for viewing the Gospels as biographical
        documents of the sort common throughout the Graeco-Roman world.

        In pursuing the question of his book's title, Burridge compares the
        work of the Christian evangelists with that of Graeco-Roman
        biographers. Drawing on insights from literary theory, Burridge
        demonstrates that the widespread view of the Gospels as unique is
        false, and he discusses what a properly "biographical" perspective
        means for Gospel interpretation. The book includes a long new chapter
        detailing the recent paradigm shift in Gospel scholarship — a shift
        due in large part to this very book — a new foreword by Graham
        Stanton, and an appendix dealing with the absence of comparable early
        Jewish biographies.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2004
          I take it that the recent "paradigm shift" referred to below in
          the press blurb is Bauckham et al.'s (which includes Burridge)
          "Gospel for All Christians."

          Burridge ably filled in for Bauckham in a SBL 2003 session on this
          topic. As I recall, one of his points is that the gospels are a
          form about biography, which means that they are about its subject
          Jesus, not about the local community from which they originated.
          It sounds like a basic point, but it is a helpful reminder when
          reading someone's use of a gospel as a window into an early
          Christian community.

          Stephen Carlson