Re: [Synoptic-L] Pierre-Antoine Bernheim ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14 11:41 AM
      Emmanuel,

      I have a paragraph in a review of his book from 1998:

      Another key first century figure is the subject of Pierre-Antoine
      Bernheim's James, Brother of Jesus, a fine antidote to the recent
      excesses of Eisenmann (to whom Bernheim never refers). Bernheim's
      study, translated from the French by John Bowden, is balanced,
      carefully researched and lucidly presented. Its scope, too, is broad.
      There is a fine chapter on first century Judaism (Chapter 3, 'What is
      a Jew?') and there are studies of the historical Jesus (Chapter 5, 'A
      Famous Brother'), Paul's letters and Acts (Chapters 6-8) and the
      epistle of James (Chapter 9). In a way, the scope of the book makes
      its author's point forcefully, that this is a figure not only worthy
      of study in his own right but also essential for anyone attempting to
      understand Christian origins.
      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre/REVNT2.HTM#Bernheim

      Mark